Game Thread - @ Pitt, 2/8/2020

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
-14 in the turnover category... #sad
d82478f57292b73559aa2587af117d7a.jpg

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
During the off-season, Pastner should be forced to hire somebody that can come in here and teach offense...and by offense, I mean dribbling, passing, FT shooting, etc....you know, fundamental **** we just royally suck at

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
During the off-season, Pastner should be forced to hire somebody that can come in here and teach offense...and by offense, I mean dribbling, passing, FT shooting, etc....you know, fundamental **** we just royally suck at
That would require our AD actually cared about BB:)

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
22 turnovers and 25 fouls. That's never going to get the job done.

Those numbers are sad. But even so, we had a shot to win this. Banks missing 2 free throws after our 2 free throws on the technical were a killer. We had the chance to gain the momentum and gave it away. It seems like that's what this team does regularly. When we have the chance to take control of a game, we don't take advantage of it, whether it's hitting a shot, playing tough defense, not turning it over, or hitting free throws. We just can't seem to get over that hump most games.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Devoe just needs to sit on the wing and shoot it 15 times a game. 8 turnovers for him is ridiculous
Devoe is not a grest ball handler. Just not his strength. He is a shooter and can drive one on one but not in traffic. Not sure we are being coached to our strengths and away from weaknesses. Partner does not seem to sub late in the games for offense possession and defense possession on stopped play. Should have put Parham or price in for offense and a non starter to foul. Then sub back for offense. Valvano was a master at it. Dean Smith as well.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Devoe and Parham need to know it's not only ok to shoot from 3 feet beyond the arc, but it's arguably our best offense. They both continue to pass up step in 3's with no one close enough to contest. They are more than capable, and it'll open up driving lanes and the rest of the offense. I don't care if it's 8 seconds into the shot clock.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Too careless with the ball and never adjusted to Champaigne being put in the middle of the zone. Very confused why Banks stayed so low because we've run the zone in the past with him, or Wright/Cole if their down their, stepping up to try and contest the middle. Seemed odd that we never did that. Overall the zone probably helped because despite him going off their guards had below average days. Game was on pace for being in the mid 60s before the foul parade at the end which is fine for how we want games to go. Offensively, we shot decently and moved the ball okay, 18 assists, but was too careless with the ball needless to say. Devoe had both a Jekyll and Hyde day with 22 points on 7/10 shooting and 7 assists, but 8 turnovers were killer. Bubba continues to not give us the outside threat that he was advertised to have and Jose, understandably, looked drained.

And I love Banks for his D and he rebounded well today but he really cost us at the end. Twice when down by 3 he went to the FT line and missed the front end of a 1-1 and then missed both on the second. He then later let an easy pass go through his hands for what would have been an uncontested dunk. Overall there were big picture things that we did wrong that lost the game but his play down the stretch really hurt.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Devoe and Parham need to know it's not only ok to shoot from 3 feet beyond the arc, but it's arguably our best offense. They both continue to pass up step in 3's with no one close enough to contest. They are more than capable, and it'll open up driving lanes and the rest of the offense. I don't care if it's 8 seconds into the shot clock.
We should play faster, as a whole, but for some reason we love to “grind it out” on O.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It would be nice if the AD said something about the basketball program.

He'd likely say that despite the challenges (TOs, etc.), the team is playing hard for Coach Pastner and improving in many ways, even if it's not the W/L record. He'd follow that up with a statement that we have a lot of production coming back next year with some good recruits and we need to see get old/stay old play out.

That's what I think he'd say.

Then he'd get back to work improving the football infrastructure and wrapping up the AI 2020 fundraising, while giving himself a year to put a plan in motion to potentially (likely) replace Pastner after next season.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
He'd likely say that despite the challenges (TOs, etc.), the team is playing hard for Coach Pastner and improving in many ways, even if it's not the W/L record. He'd follow that up with a statement that we have a lot of production coming back next year with some good recruits and we need to see get old/stay old play out.

That's what I think he'd say.

Then he'd get back to work improving the football infrastructure and wrapping up the AI 2020 fundraising, while giving himself a year to put a plan in motion to potentially (likely) replace Pastner after next season.
That sounds fine, Id like to actually hear him say that.

Deleted member 2897

Wow, 48 percent shooting, 37 percent from 3, out rebound them, lose by 9. Whew

That was at the end after some desperation. With a few minutes left when it was tied in the 50s, we were at 52% FG, 40% 3PT. We should have been up by 10-15 but it was tied because of all the turnovers.

GT_EE78

Banned
You might be onto something here..Could we use that same guy after the season starts to do the recruiting?