Game Thread - ND, 1/15/2020

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Also, eventually our guards have to be a bigger threat from outside.
Serious question here, not trying to be a smarta** at all. When you say eventually, what is your time frame for that? By the end of the year? The start of next year? Some point the next 2 seasons? I’ve got all of my eggs in next year’s basket. That’s why I’m disappointed with the NCAA stuff, because if the postseason ban runs over to next year all my hope will be lost.

Milwaukee

Banned
Why does everyone think we will be better off next year? I’m not understanding that. We don’t have a rim protector coming in....

Everybody doesn’t think that, just a couple. This current team is peak for Pastner and it’s below .500 overall and below .500 in conference. People that follow the program realize that there is no future with this regime, whether it be next year or whenever.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Everybody doesn’t think that, just a couple. This current team is peak for Pastner and it’s below .500 overall and below .500 in conference. People that follow the program realize that there is no future with this regime, whether it be next year or whenever.
Well there wasn't any interest in the coaching job the last go around. Really doubt they'll pony up the $$$ in the next couple of years to hire someone good. Really frustrating to watch the likes of VT pass us by with the hirings of Buzz Preston & Mike Young.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Serious question here, not trying to be a smarta** at all. When you say eventually, what is your time frame for that? By the end of the year? The start of next year? Some point the next 2 seasons? I’ve got all of my eggs in next year’s basket. That’s why I’m disappointed with the NCAA stuff, because if the postseason ban runs over to next year all my hope will be lost.

It's not a time frame thing. It's a if we want to get to the level we want to be at we need it to happen. Whether it's this year, next, 5 years, next coach, the coach after that, or the coach after that. People harp on Pastner's overuse of some phrases but he's right that basketball is a guards game, and that is in large part because of the 3 ball. In the past we haven't had guys capable of shooting. This year we do. We've struggled at times and seem now to be trying to focus on interior play, whether it is feeding the post or driving, and only take really good open 3s. In general we've done that. TOday we shot 15 3s and made 4. Taking away Moses' heave, which isn't a guard, Bubba's last second heave from 35, and I believe there was one other just throw up as the shot clock was winding down shot that we missed, and that is 4-12. I'd say almost all of those 12 looks were probably really good looks. We tried going inside and working it out, which is probably the right strategy, but when you are that selective on when you shoot 3s you have to make more than a third of them.

Why does everyone think we will be better off next year? I’m not understanding that. We don’t have a rim protector coming in....

We're losing basically one contributor and adding 3 good recruits (and returning Sjolund), including a 4* seven footer. Also, defense, especially shot blocking, is one of the easier ways for a freshman to contribute, especially when they are 7 foot. Banks is great on defense, and losing him will hurt, but we should be better offensively, and it isn't really that hard to believe that the potential improvement on offense will outweigh the loss of Banks on defense.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
I was 26 years old the last time we made the damn tourney. Such a shame this is. I have had hope, been open minded and tried to stay patient. It’s not going happen with this guy. It’s just not. I am losing hope period. I want these guys don’t win so bad but they can’t shot. Even vs BC we didn’t actually shot the ball well. We have to make 3s.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
It's not a time frame thing. It's a if we want to get to the level we want to be at we need it to happen. Whether it's this year, next, 5 years, next coach, the coach after that, or the coach after that. People harp on Pastner's overuse of some phrases but he's right that basketball is a guards game, and that is in large part because of the 3 ball. In the past we haven't had guys capable of shooting. This year we do. We've struggled at times and seem now to be trying to focus on interior play, whether it is feeding the post or driving, and only take really good open 3s. In general we've done that. TOday we shot 15 3s and made 4. Taking away Moses' heave, which isn't a guard, Bubba's last second heave from 35, and I believe there was one other just throw up as the shot clock was winding down shot that we missed, and that is 4-12. I'd say almost all of those 12 looks were probably really good looks. We tried going inside and working it out, which is probably the right strategy, but when you are that selective on when you shoot 3s you have to make more than a third of them.

We're losing basically one contributor and adding 3 good recruits (and returning Sjolund), including a 4* seven footer. Also, defense, especially shot blocking, is one of the easier ways for a freshman to contribute, especially when they are 7 foot. Banks is great on defense, and losing him will hurt, but we should be better offensively, and it isn't really that hard to believe that the potential improvement on offense will outweigh the loss of Banks on defense.
I agree with this post. It will be interesting to see what coach Rev can do with a 4 star big considering what he has done with Moses. Alvarado had open shots tonight and missed most, maybe all, of them. I am curious why Price didn't get more time. His shot looked good to me tonight at the start.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
In the second half Gibbs and Huff realized they could just out athlete their man and get their shot whenever they wanted. They worked over Mike and Jose pretty good down the stretch. Had they realized that sooner, it might not have even been close. Maybe we should have switched to our zone when they started killing us off the screens and off the dribble.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Notre dame really couldn’t get much going on offense for 3/4 of the game, but we weren’t able to score enough to capitalize on their struggles.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
My biggest complaint continues to be Pastner cannot manage sub patterns. It’s no wonder we have SO MANY second half drops in multiple areas. Our guys need to be max 32 min players. They just lose that extra bounce, slide, energy -CONSISTENTLY - in the second half. He said again in postgame, he doesn’t know why this trend is happening in second half. C’mon coach, you can’t manage rotations on “instincts”, or you have really poor a** instincts.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If we don't qualify for the NCAAT, drop the appeal. Not worth it for the NIT or CBA. Take our "ban" this season.

We have an equal or better chance at the NCAAT next season really only losing Banks, but we have a legit 4 star 7 footer coming in. Gigi as a freshman may not be as good as Banks defensively, but I think he will still give us a presence down low. Moses will be better, Alvarado will be better (and a senior), Devoe will be better (and a JR), Usher will be better, Moore will be better (barring transfer), Cole will be better (barring transfer), Price will be better (barring transfer), Parham will be better (he's starting to play better now), and we gain a scorer in Maxwell.

This year's team is easily Pastner's most talented team so far, but we're so hot and cold...never know which team we're getting. As we saw against Duke, we can play with anyone, but we can also lose against anyone as well. I believe next year's team will be a lot better cohesively than this team with all the returning talent (minus Banks) and with Pastner's best recruiting class coming in. We're talented this year, but we're still integrating Usher and Parham.

If Pastner doesn't make it to the NCAAT next season, for me, he's done here. This roster should be playing much better, but for some reason we're still too inconsistent and not playing to our talent level.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I can see next year being better, even with the smaller, athletic lineup. Using the 6’9” and 7’ Freshmen for sporadic minutes or in matchup/game situations against other true Bigs.

The dilemma is, to recruit successfully the prospect needs to know the HC is safe and will be here for the players eligibility cycle. However, TStan doesn’t need to give him any buyout clauses that wouldn’t favor our budgetary constraints with regards to funding a decent replacement. If he doesn’t want to sign under those conditions,, don’t extend him. One good season shouldn’t keep hitching us to an inconsistent regime(s).

Deleted member 2897

Notre Dame barely lost a bunch of games including against Louisville. They’ll make the tournament. What sucks is just that they had one of their better games all season last night. We were basically tied at the half, then shot 70% in the second half but lost. What else can you do?

slugboy

Staff member
I keep seeing “drop the appeal”. I’ve seen no evidence in the 21st century that the NCAA rewards that kind of behavior or is willing to meet us halfway unless we fight tooth and nail on every point.
Dropping the appeal would probably be taken as signs of weakness, guilt, and acceptance that their sanctions are fair.
Regarding this game, we really ought to have a winning record at home. SMH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

I keep seeing “drop the appeal”. I’ve seen no evidence in the 21st century that the NCAA rewards that kind of behavior or is willing to meet us halfway unless we fight tooth and nail on every point.
Dropping the appeal would probably be taken as signs of weakness, guilt, and acceptance that their sanctions are fair.
Regarding this game, we really ought to have a winning record at home. SMH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet people hand LSU players wads of cash on national TV and nobody cares. Such a strange world we live in.