Game Thread - Miami, 2/29

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I counted the number of times I saw a Miami player box out tonight. I'm still waiting for the first one. It's pathetic how kids are taught to play now. Shot goes up, they turn and try to go get the ball. Evan made several direct rim runs when no one put a body on him. Banks and Moses just went hard to the boards on every shot. We rebounded 18 of our 39 misses. >45% off rebounding.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Glad we pulled that out. Not sure how it looked at TV but it certainly looked like there was a double digit point swing on purely bad calls that 2nd half. We certainly played pretty ****ty over that stretch but it was hard to build any momentum there.

Glad we pulled that out. Not sure how it looked at TV but it certainly looked like there was a double digit point swing on purely bad calls that 2nd half. We certainly played pretty ****ty over that stretch but it was hard to build any momentum there.
There were lots of bad calls, but I don't think that destroyed the lead as much as sloppy play

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There were lots of bad calls, but I don't think that destroyed the lead as much as sloppy play

We did get casual and started trying lobs and making dumb passes, but the officiating absolutely aided their comeback.

Anytime we got into the lane, they were mugging us, and if we breathed on them, they got the call. There were a couple of And-1’s where no one touched their guy. Anytime there’s a 10 foul to 2 foul discrepancy, and the team with 2 fouls is the aggressor, something is wrong.

As font above mentioned, once they started blowing the whistle against them, we were able to regain our composure.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A couple of notes. GT is currently tied for 5th in the ACC with ND, NCST, Syracuse and Clemson with 2 games to play. it loses a tiebreaker with Syr and ND, wins a tiebreaker with NCST and Clemson is yet to be decided.
With the win GT has guaranteed itself a 1st round bye in the ACC Tournament for the first time in 7 years.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
A couple of notes. GT is currently tied for 5th in the ACC with ND, NCST, Syracuse and Clemson with 2 games to play. it loses a tiebreaker with Syr and ND, wins a tiebreaker with NCST and Clemson is yet to be decided.
With the win GT has guaranteed itself a 1st round bye in the ACC Tournament for the first time in 7 years.

That’s good and should be celebrated, even with a down ACC. It’s so frustrating, though, that, with a couple more wins (so easily doable), we would be a tourney team.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I counted the number of times I saw a Miami player box out tonight. I'm still waiting for the first one. It's pathetic how kids are taught to play now. Shot goes up, they turn and try to go get the ball. Evan made several direct rim runs when no one put a body on him. Banks and Moses just went hard to the boards on every shot. We rebounded 18 of our 39 misses. >45% off rebounding.

I mentioned in another thread that I have lost interest in the game. Of all the sports, I believe BB is the only one that has regressed over time in terms of fundamentals, skills and technique. The athleticism is better and that's it.

Nice, gritty win. My first game that I have seen in a long, long time. Team regained their composure at the end.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We need a bench.We almost just pooped out last night.
How did we win that game with 11/18 assts/TOs and shooting like that? answer--they were even worse

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm a big fan of Evan Cole. But man. That kid always makes a big play, but only 40-60 for us.

If Banks and Moses played with Evan's aggressiveness, we'd be better.

We should have recognized the turned tide faster, imo

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
For what it’s worth, I saw what looked like a rejuvenated James Banks against Miami. He got a ton of rebounds just on effort and intensity, even knocking balls out that he couldn’t outright get to, leading to extra possessions. It’s those type of effort plays that have largely been missing. If he can keep that up, it makes a huge difference in our team.