Game of Thrones

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bran. He's the person in your group project who did absolutely nothing but still got an A.

How in the hell did they know Jon stabbed Dany?! I mean the dragon took off with the body! Kind of an important part to leave out of the show, huh?

Seemed like the whole thing was rushed so they could wrap up the show and move on.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
By the way, called Bran 2 seasons ago. I see an Emmy in my future.

See what I did there? Probably not, cause you’re not me or Bran.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
A buddy of mine correctly forecasted the Mad Queen angle when she burned all the Khals and was sitting atop her dragon in the desert.

What he didnt forecast was that instead of writing it like turning an aircraft carrier they basically did a drunken 180 on a jetski.

Jons a Targeryan? Didnt matter.
Arya and the white horse? didnt matter
Cersei in the final season? 18 seconds of dialogue. Looking out windows
10 years of White Walkers marching? Didn't matter
The Golden Company? Didn't matter. Which BTW, they have a fantastic back story in the books. They are Westerosi Exiles filled to the gills with bastards from the great houses.
Awesome things from the books that were bungled: Lady Stoneheart, Strong Belwas (Seriously, how do you leave him out?), The Shavepate, Jon Connington and Aegon Targeryan (yes in the book there is another one nad its not Jon) the prince of Dorne who goes to Mereen, Victorian Greyjoy who is a complete bad *** in the books.

Im completely nerding out here... sorry

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
But then HBOs president of content said he doesn’t want to do any of them

Because after that finale.....further content won’t be anywhere near as popular. Star Wars is facing the same issue and if the next movie in that franchise doesn’t kill it Disney will have wasted an enormous investment.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I watched "The Last Watch" on HBO last night which was a documentary on the making of hte final season of GoT last night.

It's basically a "look how hard we worked to bring this too you" piece trying to make up for the horrendousness of the final season. There were some interesting parts though such as how they brought in actors from past seasons simply to mess with people. The best part is when Conleth Hill (Varys) is doing his table read and is completely disgusted with how his character ends.

I also couldnt help but notice that during one of those table reads Lena Headey (Cersei) is sitting there in a tank top with her ink showing......looking like a total smoke show.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Blah, blah, blah ... I'mma nerd ...

I also couldnt help but notice that during one of those table reads Lena Headey (Cersei) is sitting there in a tank top with her ink showing......looking like a total smoke show.

Perhaps the only reason to watch that.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Soooo, I have never actually watched but an episode or two of GOT (first season) nor have I read the books. I suspect I'd enjoy it, but was too cheap to subscribe to HBO to watch it, so there you are.

My question for this group is....should I watch the TV series, or read the books?

The books have not been finished, and now (if I understand correctly) may never be finished as Martin now sees the franchise as being HBO's and not his anymore.....so reading a series that has no ending seems...unsatisfying.

But, the TV series sounds like it is poorly done after going past Martin's writing...so that doesn't sound all that great either.

Any suggestions?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Soooo, I have never actually watched but an episode or two of GOT (first season) nor have I read the books. I suspect I'd enjoy it, but was too cheap to subscribe to HBO to watch it, so there you are.

My question for this group is....should I watch the TV series, or read the books?

The books have not been finished, and now (if I understand correctly) may never be finished as Martin now sees the franchise as being HBO's and not his anymore.....so reading a series that has no ending seems...unsatisfying.

But, the TV series sounds like it is poorly done after going past Martin's writing...so that doesn't sound all that great either.

Any suggestions?

The show is easier and it concludes. I read the books and now its been about 4 years since I finished the last one, I really dont remember a whole lot about what was going on. The books are huge and very articulate and descriptive, pages and pages of talking about clothing, food and rooms. there is so much depth that you would have to read them a couple times just to pick up on all hte subtle hints for the stuff that is really going on as chapters are told from different characters point of view while some happenings in the book overlap from different perspectives. Its a truly great series but again, it doesnt end. I think the books are done and will be released posthumously myself. Regardless of how he does it, they will be deeply criticized at this point.

Seasons 1-4 of the show is probably the best television I have ever watched. I have watched the whole thing through season 6 probably 4 times, each time picking up things I missed prior. Its just like any other show though, Sopranos S4 was a bag of dicks and so was S6A (literally). OZ had a bad season, as did Justified and Sons Of Anarchy.

Season 5 was garbage but did have one of hte best episodes of the series in it (Hardhome) and finishes pretty strong. Season 6 does regroup a bit, some think that season is in the top half of the seasons (I dont) simply because of one of the episodes. Season 7 was....tense and not really that bad, again, it just doesnt stack up to the first 4. Season 8 was just ****ing trash but it wasnt as bad as say, Dexter.