Game 9 #GTvsUVA Media

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
IIRC from an article I read, Scott Stadium--for whatever reason--was in the top 20 or 25 toughest places to play.

I don't know other Coastal teams' records there, but apparently it's a tough place ro play in general.

They just took Miami to OT on the road without Miami giving them an extra chance. Beat UNC on the road the week before.

They are favored in this game for a reason. Course, that could be why we win.
Virginia's last ACC home win was 2+ years ago: October 23, 2021.

Their opponent? Georgia Tech.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Virginia leads the series against Tech by one game.

We used to own them I thought but they have consistently beaten us over the last few decades.

Somebody make sense of this for me.
The series would have been even since 1996 had the Jackets won last year:

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Virginia leads the series against Tech by one game.

We used to own them I thought but they have consistently beaten us over the last few decades.

Somebody make sense of this for me.
This is a good point. I don't know why it's been such a tough place for us to place, which is where we've dropped most of our total loses to UVA.

This post actually brings up a good trivia question: Which team, other than Georgia, has Tech played the most in history?

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
This is the official answer which matches sports reference but somehow winsipedia has us at 92 against auburn so it must be counting some unofficial games

Georgia 111
Duke 90
Auburn 86
Clemson 86

Double checked and it looks like the games before 1902 weren’t official but winsipedia has them giving auburn an extra 5 wins and a tie from 1892-1899

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This is the official answer which matches sports reference but somehow winsipedia has us at 92 against auburn so it must be counting some unofficial games

Georgia 111
Duke 90
Auburn 86
Clemson 86

Double checked and it looks like the games before 1902 weren’t official but winsipedia has them giving auburn an extra 5 wins and a tie from 1892-1899
Sounds like an Auburn fan must be running that site…

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I heard a podcaster opine that the UNC win was a "bad win" for Tech since it tends to make players and fans think we are further along than we actually are in re-building the program and sets us up for disappointment when we inevitably lose to Uva (or Syracuse). And, might cause us to keep Key around longer than we otherwise would if he keeps missing bowls or not progressing. He blamed the Tech win squarely on the UNC (lack of) defense. I am not saying this, just saying I heard it.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I heard a podcaster opine that the UNC win was a "bad win" for Tech since it tends to make players and fans think we are further along than we actually are in re-building the program and sets us up for disappointment when we inevitably lose to Uva (or Syracuse). And, might cause us to keep Key around longer than we otherwise would if he keeps missing bowls or not progressing. He blamed the Tech win squarely on the UNC (lack of) defense. I am not saying this, just saying I heard it.
Everyone (podcasters) needs to have a hot take and fill up air time

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Wait. He says a win is bad because it feeds an unrealistic view of where we are as a team?

First off, I’d say every win does this for just about every team unless that team is at or near the top. However, did those wins that TCU got last year feed a notion that they were better than they were? Likely so.

There’s a point when you’re rebuilding when you start winning games. It just happens. Irrational fans will be irrational. Nothing you can do about it, but winning isn’t bad anytime you do it.

Next.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
What podcast?

slugboy

Staff member
Fortunately no one says anything like that around here.

Jurassic Park Wow GIF by Spotify

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think he is spot on! Just look at Clemson. Perfect example!
They’re stringing together all of these 11 & 12 win seasons, winning championships and running roughshod… but we can see now that all of that success has them ill-equipt to deal with mediocre seasons. And we knew that a mediocre season had to come sooner or later, right? I mean, they should never want to win so much and pay so many millions to keep a guy like Dabo in order to keep winning because sometime down the road, they’ll be 4-4. And when they’re 4-4 , they totally won’t know how to handle it. Get with the times, man! Everyone should be playing to lose because winning is an unrealistic expectation.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
What podcast?
Crowded Booth. I just heard it as well. I was like whaa? Bryce wasn’t hosting that one because he was sick or something, so his cohost were the only two discussing. Those two kind of come off bozos who don’t know ball, or anything about Tech football pre 2019.

But to be fair, we have lost to BG and BC at home this year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think he is spot on! Just look at Clemson. Perfect example!
They’re stringing together all of these 11 & 12 win seasons, winning championships and running roughshod… but we can see now that all of that success has them ill-equipt to deal with mediocre seasons. And we knew that a mediocre season had to come sooner or later, right? I mean, they should never want to win so much and pay so many millions to keep a guy like Dabo in order to keep winning because sometime down the road, they’ll be 4-4. And when they’re 4-4 , they totally won’t know how to handle it. Get with the times, man! Everyone should be playing to lose because winning is an unrealistic expectation.
Yeah, and can you imagine how devastating it will be the first time uga does not win the national championship game! They are totally unprepared for that level of pain. Losing a little more regularly would have been so much better for them. Oh, the humanity!