Game 9 #GTvsUVA Media

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

One big thing I noticed about this press conference - the traditional Coke bottle on the lecturn has been replaced with a yellow Powerade.

Not sure if this was by design, but I damn well hope it is, and will continue. I've always hated looking at that red and black Coke bottle.

The Powerade isn't exactly our colors - I imagine it's even tougher to make an old gold drink than it is to make a helmet match a jersey - but I'll take it.

(I may even drop J. Batt a note about it. It's irked me for years, almost as much as the DWAGS building next to our campus.)

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Sounds like an Auburn fan must be running that site…
It's actually one of ours. Steven Little.

Screenshot_20231101-211519.png

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
If we have even an average defense next year we will be a Top 25 team. Assuming everyone stays on O. We’ll have one of the best offenses in ACC and probably best QB. I’d say things are looking good.
I agree, but we have to fill about 5-6 spots with some good players. Are they out there?

slugboy

Staff member
Has anyone described our defense as being aggresive?
Maybe its a reduced risk Key is Al Groh thing.
It may be a “which comes first” thing. Players like to go where they can make big plays, and Tenuta had a risk-taking style that could pay off big. It brought some players, who made big plays, who inspired others to come.

Right now, we’re focusing on tackling well and getting 11 men to the ball. We did that pretty well vs UNC and Miami, and not so much against BC. I don’t think its reduced risk as much as focusing on basics

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It may be a “which comes first” thing. Players like to go where they can make big plays, and Tenuta had a risk-taking style that could pay off big. It brought some players, who made big plays, who inspired others to come.

Right now, we’re focusing on tackling well and getting 11 men to the ball. We did that pretty well vs UNC and Miami, and not so much against BC. I don’t think its reduced risk as much as focusing on basics
I think reduced risk is a part of it. When we have played aggressively on D, it has been boom or bust (and bust has won by A LOT). Remember our goal line defenses vs BC on 4th down that resulted in two TD’s for BC?
I think we don’t have confidence that we can effectively execute aggressive D.

slugboy

Staff member
I think reduced risk is a part of it. When we have played aggressively on D, it has been boom or bust (and bust has won by A LOT). Remember our goal line defenses vs BC on 4th down that resulted in two TD’s for BC?
I think we don’t have confidence that we can effectively execute aggressive D.
At least one of those, we didn’t have enough men on the field. That’s not aggressiveness, that’s a screw-up

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
At least one of those, we didn’t have enough men on the field. That’s not aggressiveness, that’s a screw-up
Two plays I was thinking of weren’t on the goal line. One resulted in TE (i think) being wide open for TD and the was the infamous 42 yard QB sneak for a TD. I thought we were a man short on actual goal line. Am I wrong? Curious, not argumentative.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Two plays I was thinking of weren’t on the goal line. One resulted in TE (i think) being wide open for TD and the was the infamous 42 yard QB sneak for a TD. I thought we were a man short on actual goal line. Am I wrong? Curious, not argumentative.
We were not in a goal line defense when the TE caught that long pass. We were not in any defense as we only had ten players on the field.

The fourth and one that went for a long TD was also not a scheme issue. Three defenders flowed to the same gap and none to the other gap that Castellanos went though for the long TD run. That is an execution issue, not a scheme issue.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Virginia leads the series against Tech by one game.

We used to own them I thought but they have consistently beaten us over the last few decades.

Somebody make sense of this for me.
Well, it is the payback for ruining their season, stealing their lunch money, and taking what they thought was rightfully theirs back in 1990. They were number one, (I think) riding high with a tremendous offense built around a great all purpose quarterback, an NFL type game breaking receiver in All American Herman Moore and a balanced attack featuring a stable of good running backs and an experienced offensive line. As it turned out, the defense was a little shaky in spots and Ralph figured out how to attack it in the second half comeback with Sisson applying the coupe de grace Thus, we are paying for that sin multiple times. IIWII Incidentally, since 1990, UVA has had good teams with good players but nothing approaching the opportunity that was presented in 1990 for a national championship. This was a program that had long been one of the doormats of the ACC.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This is a good point. I don't know why it's been such a tough place for us to place, which is where we've dropped most of our total loses to UVA.

This post actually brings up a good trivia question: Which team, other than Georgia, has Tech played the most in history?
Clemson? Duke? Auburn? Beats me but although in modern times it seems as though we played both Clemson and Duke just about every year, I am not sure about pre 1960. Seems like it is spotty for both of them before then. We did play Auburn every year until the 1980s but have not since Chan and Reggie Ball embarrassed them in the 2000s.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well, it is the payback for ruining their season, stealing their lunch money, and taking what they thought was rightfully theirs back in 1990. They were number one, (I think) riding high with a tremendous offense built around a great all purpose quarterback, an NFL type game breaking receiver in All American Herman Moore and a balanced attack featuring a stable of good running backs and an experienced offensive line. As it turned out, the defense was a little shaky in spots and Ralph figured out how to attack it in the second half comeback with Sisson applying the coupe de grace Thus, we are paying for that sin multiple times. IIWII Incidentally, since 1990, UVA has had good teams with good players but nothing approaching the opportunity that was presented in 1990 for a national championship. This was a program that had long been one of the doormats of the ACC.
It's going to be a war. Don't know if it will make a difference, but Tech has one incentive that Virginia doesn't, which is to make a bowl game.