Game 8 #UNCvsGT Postgame

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So... I guess Key is the answer again this week?

Seriously, I get the impatience after the years of TFG. With Key taking over last year and there being some holdover, the bar felt higher. But this is year one for this staff. TFG left behind a terrible program, bad habits, bad culture, 3.5 years of bad coaching... All of the issues were never going to be fixed in one offseason. But this is a better team than any TFG fielded and it's not close. There's improvement across the board. We're competing and beating good teams (sometimes). Plenty of work still to do. But the program is moving in the right direction for the first time in a long time.

I expect the rollercoaster to continue next weekend, though. F***ing Charlottesville. Get the 'fire Key' and 'Pyron time' posts queued back up ;)

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Were you live or watching on TV? I ask bc I thought the quality of offciating was the same pretty much as it always is (read into this what you will),
We were there and had a couple of UNC fans next to us for the first half and we all agreed the officiating wasn’t great but seemed to even out so it wasn’t a real deciding factor.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Funny, Singleton reminds me of a young Dez.

I would put Jamal Haynes more in the Oh Charlie category but it may still be early for such high praise.
Singleton's speed reminds me of KC, and Rutherford's shiftiness of Rogers (as a receiver). Though Rogers was technically an RB, IIRC, he slotted out often. Yes, Dez, Watkins, and Glover all play into the mix somehow. With Rutherford, Singleton, Leary, and Blaylock, among 2-3 others, do we have the best WR room since that 1998-2000 era?

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
So... I guess Key is the answer again this week?

Seriously, I get the impatience after the years of TFG. With Key taking over last year and there being some holdover, the bar felt higher. But this is year one for this staff. TFG left behind a terrible program, bad habits, bad culture, 3.5 years of bad coaching... All of the issues were never going to be fixed in one offseason. But this is a better team than any TFG fielded and it's not close. There's improvement across the board. We're competing and beating good teams (sometimes). Plenty of work still to do. But the program is moving in the right direction for the first time in a long time.

I expect the rollercoaster to continue next weekend, though. F***ing Charlottesville. Get the 'fire Key' and 'Pyron time' posts queued back up ;)
Well said! CK has fixed the offense and kicking game just gotta get the defense some playmakers and we’ll be okay. The defense played hard last night and they come up big again to help get the win. It’s going to be a dog fight every week. We got to give the man a year or 2 to get some playmakers.

slugboy

Staff member
I think Brown will soon be enjoying his days relaxing in retirement. UNC alums have seen enough underachievement from the old fart. We’ve done our part to help them move on, three years in a row.

Brown did mention Walker was taken to an area hospital, my goodness what a hit by Harvey, totally clean but never saw it coming, was looking right and missed Harvey coming from his left.
He’s the best they’ve had. Some Alabama fans are asking if Saban has lost his touch, too. Many fans don’t appreciate good coaches

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Singleton's speed reminds me of KC, and Rutherford's shiftiness of Rogers (as a receiver). Though Rogers was technically an RB, IIRC, he slotted out often. Yes, Dez, Watkins, and Glover all play into the mix somehow. With Rutherford, Singleton, Leary, and Blaylock, among 2-3 others, do we have the best WR room since that 1998-2000 era?
2001 was a really really good WR room too, and of course Calvin and James Johnson were a fantastic duo with some other decent guys in there too, but this group is pretty good. I had been wondering earlier in the week if our receivers had actually caught any contested balls this year, felt like we were struggling in those situations. Was happy to see us come down with several really tough grabs last night.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Were you live or watching on TV? I ask bc I thought the quality of offciating was the same pretty much as it always is (read into this what you will),
I think we got the better end of the officiating last night. A couple of non-calls that could have pass interference and a holding call on UNC that just didn't happen. We had a bad Illegal Procedure call on Rutherord that was missed. Overall I thought the game was well officiated.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Well said! CK has fixed the offense and kicking game just gotta get the defense some playmakers and we’ll be okay. The defense played hard last night and they come up big again to help get the win. It’s going to be a dog fight every week. We got to give the man a year or 2 to get some playmakers.
This. ST's appear to be fixed. Offense is absolutely improved but can still improve. The D just needs a few more playmakers, especially along the DL/LB, but DB's too, really. We have guys who make the plays at times just not enough. Then we just need to build depth at all positions, which takes years, and for this staff to grow up as coaches.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I was bitching about the refs in the 1st half. They missed some egregious face masks and PI calls
Oh the officiating was horrible but it was consistently horrible for both teams so blaming the refs is pointless. This whole year I feel has been terrible from an officiating standpoint. After our losses I feel like many of us called out the poor officiating but also very few of us if any blamed them for the losses.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I went to the game with my son. We left after tech got behind 11, mainly to avoid the crowds. I'm having some problems with my balance and we decided to avoid the church after he game. Then we went to a bar full of Tech fans and watched the victory. I wasn't that surprised, btw. My impressions:

The Good

• I've been calling for Smith to get the ball for weeks. He's apparently healthy enough now - no idea what the problem was - and showed why he was always the head of the RB room. He had two long runs for Tis, but one was called back. But let's subtract the 70 yard TD. That would leave him with 21 carries for 108 yards. It was those carries that counted. When we had 3rd and 3 and needed the yards on the last drive, Smith went 5. That, sports fans is what we've been missing.
• King played well too, especially after the Holes began to spy Smith. His 50 yard run on a pure double option was a thing of beauty and worked because Smith was on the field. We've had the plays; what's been missing was an RB who could make an option credible. Oh, and King threw the ball well too.Usually.
• The WRs were very dangerous last night. It looked like Singleton aggravated his injury in the second quarter, but the rest of the room made up for it in spades. Even the (gasp!) TEs.
• Key gave the game ball to the OL and they deserved it. King usually got time to throw and they opened lanes. I will mention here something I said a lot when Mills and Dwyer were at Tech: a good RB makes any OL look better, almost at once. Smith hit the holes that were there.

The Bad:

Ah, to the <nether regoin> with it! Why carp after a victory like that?

Now we have to get ready for UVA. They are a tougher proposition then UNC on D and they can score. But after yesterday, the rest of the schedule looks a trifle easier. If we can keep Smith healthy, we might get to 6 - 7 wins after all.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I went to the game with my son. We left after tech got behind 11, mainly to avoid the crowds. I'm having some problems with my balance and we decided to avoid the church after he game. Then we went to a bar full of Tech fans and watched the victory. I wasn't that surprised, btw. My impressions:

The Good

• I've been calling for Smith to get the ball for weeks. He's apparently healthy enough now - no idea what the problem was - and showed why he was always the head of the RB room. He had two long runs for Tis, but one was called back. But let's subtract the 70 yard TD. That would leave him with 21 carries for 108 yards. It was those carries that counted. When we had 3rd and 3 and needed the yards on the last drive, Smith went 5. That, sports fans is what we've been missing.
• King played well too, especially after the Holes began to spy Smith. His 50 yard run on a pure double option was a thing of beauty and worked because Smith was on the field. We've had the plays; what's been missing was an RB who could make an option credible. Oh, and King threw the ball well too.Usually.
• The WRs were very dangerous last night. It looked like Singleton aggravated his injury in the second quarter, but the rest of the room made up for it in spades. Even the (gasp!) TEs.
• Key gave the game ball to the OL and they deserved it. King usually got time to throw and they opened lanes. I will mention here something I said a lot when Mills and Dwyer were at Tech: a good RB makes any OL look better, almost at once. Smith hit the holes that were there.

The Bad:

Ah, to the <nether regoin> with it! Why carp after a victory like that?

Now we have to get ready for UVA. They are a tougher proposition then UNC on D and they can score. But after yesterday, the rest of the schedule looks a trifle easier. If we can keep Smith healthy, we might get to 6 - 7 wins after all.
Pretty much totally agree. Smith juts hits the hole hard, and you have to tackle him as he's plowing. He's almost always going to get 2-3 yards. It does help the OL knowing they just have to open the DL a crack for the RB to bust in there and pick up positive yards. Banging for 2-4 yards a pop is what CPJ did forever. Eventually they begin to tire, and you start busting longer runs, and that just deflates a DL. What I saw last night in the 4th was vintage pound it out, ball-control football. We owned the 4th, and they could do nothing about it. That what a hard-running RB can do for a team. Heck, it's what BC did to us the week before.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
What a thrilling, entertaining, offensive display of a razor-thin game by both teams.

The winning margin turned out to be a fine catch in the very back corner of the end zone, made with a tenuous step of a toe, from a last-ditch, desperate, split-second playground-like prayer of a pass thrown by our gritty, never-say-die quarterback.

But not decided until the game’s waning moments, when the opposing team’s threatening comeback bid was stopped by the fumble of a long pass reception thrown by their fine NFL-bound quarterback.

And secured with two supremely tough, difficult-to-achieve first downs running against the opponent’s stacked eight-man defense, to force them to use up all of their timeouts, and run out the clock and end the affair in victory formation.

What a game! And it was richly deserved by all of our players and coaches.

The Georgia Tech spirit and traditions are still alive. Let all of us fans remain steadfast in our support!

Last edited: