Game 7: Miami Week Media #GTvsMIA

stech81

Helluva Engineer
you think the O looks the same the past 2 games, actually scoring a few TDs, as it did when it got blanked vs Temple, who is worse than both Duke and UNC?
Yes still too many 3 and outs. You can look better if You can help the defense stay off the field so much , + 90 offensive plays for UNC is way too much.

kalld12

Banned
Yes still too many 3 and outs. You can look better if You can help the defense stay off the field so much , + 90 offensive plays for UNC is way too much.

Your logic makes no sense. The improvement on O has been night and day w/ Graham at the helm. If you can't see that since the Temple game which was utterly difficult to watch, then I question what the heck you're watching. Do we need to score 40+ points a game for it to be clear for you? What more do you need to see to say "we're improving" smh.....

Oline prob wont progress much more with what were working with, both those guys are busting their a** for the team. That commands respect. We're improving...chill

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Your logic makes no sense. The improvement on O has been night and day w/ Graham at the helm. If you can't see that since the Temple game which was utterly difficult to watch, then I question what the heck you're watching. Do we need to score 40+ points a game for it to be clear for you? What more do you need to see to say "we're improving" smh.....

Oline prob wont progress much more with what were working with, both those guys are busting their a** for the team. That commands respect. We're improving...chill

There is no question about it. We are improving on offense. I just think people are still unsatisfied with where we started is all, so they don't want to see it.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There is no question about it. We are improving on offense. I just think people are still unsatisfied with where we started is all, so they don't want to see it.
All due respect to those people, I don’t think anyone here needs to be reminded every five minutes that we lost by a lot of points. I know. You know. We all know. I don’t need to come on here to understand that. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I come on here to read and participate in discussion about the details: what we did right, what we did wrong, where we improved, where we regressed, strategy, etc. When they’ve been here a couple years, I may even be amenable to discussing the staffing of the football program (provided that it’s discussed in a civil manner). I can read a scoreboard. I’ve been able to read a scoreboard since the internet was in its infancy (long before this site existed). I would expect that everyone here can do the same (and if other people doubt this, then maybe it needs its own thread). All season it feels like actual football discussion has been quashed because every thread gets derailed into a referendum on the coaching staff. Rant over.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I like to watch the opponent's press conferences too. In case anyone's interested:

Highlight (for me):
Diaz on Carter's targeting ejection - "What I wished happened, I wish the flag was thrown and the quarterback had to come out for a play... don't throw a post over the middle of the field"

Baker on what's challenging about GT post option - "I think they have a lot of team speed when you look at their skill positions and their quarterback... Those guys can run... We have to do a good job making sure we know where they're at and do a good job tackling when we're around them"

Sidewalking

Banned
We're a young defense. Teams are getting film and game planning against what we do best and trying to exploit what we don't do well. Every week these young kids are having to get up to speed on how to defend against some things they have never seen before. In 2 years when these guys are juniors and seniors, with much more experience, most of what we're seeing will no longer be an issue. Even next year, when we purportedly have a killer schedule, we'll probably show out much better than this year.

Yes we are young and guys improve as they mature. There were a lot of people pre-season stating we would see immediate improvements on D with our new staff. That hasn't come to pass so much yet this year.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
ummm. I kinda hate asking, but ramblinwreck.com doesn't show the time and tv coverage for the football game against Miami in 3 days. so does anyone know why they don't have it listed? and who would like to give me the 411 to save me the trouble of looking it up on Miami's website?

I expect it is the same reason I cannot get an answer from Alexander Tharpe about my account so I can give some money again. I have found the attitude of people working at GT is absolutely awful, not just athletics but alumni, school, continuing education, it's the whole place. So I just don't give money anymore. At least they could make a simple response to an email, absolutely nothing.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes we are young and guys improve as they mature. There were a lot of people pre-season stating we would see immediate improvements on D with our new staff. That hasn't come to pass so much yet this year.
I would say that if we were playing in the same read-and-react defense we were in last year, we would be performing much worse than we are now. It appears that our open-field tackling has improved and our secondary has done well. So, I'd say we have seen immediate improvements on D with our new staff, and this is not a knock on our previous staff, just my observations of the boys playing.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I expect it is the same reason I cannot get an answer from Alexander Tharpe about my account so I can give some money again. I have found the attitude of people working at GT is absolutely awful, not just athletics but alumni, school, continuing education, it's the whole place. So I just don't give money anymore. At least they could make a simple response to an email, absolutely nothing.

That’s just sad. This shouldn’t be allowed to persist at an institution like GT.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

No you don't have to score 40 but 28 would be nice to help the defense out . go back and see how many 3 and out we had. Didn't say I don't have respect for the players the players are not calling the plays ,if I didn't I would not have season tickets 38 year.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
No you don't have to score 40 but 28 would be nice to help the defense out . go back and see how many 3 and out we had. Didn't say I don't have respect for the players the players are not calling the plays ,if I didn't I would not have season tickets 38 year.
You got to go back and look at those 3 and outs too. It's not always the fault of the playcaller. I can think of 2 3 and outs right off the top of my head against duke. One was a wide open Oliver on a post that got overthrown. Would've been a TD and we wouldve been up 14-3. Another was a pass that hit Tyler Davis in the hands that he dropped just past the sticks. We have to make those plays. I'm not throwing players under the bus and I do agree sometimes there have been some questionable play calls, but not always. And some of these plays are ones that absolutely have to be made at this level to be successful.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You got to go back and look at those 3 and outs too. It's not always the fault of the playcaller. I can think of 2 3 and outs right off the top of my head against duke. One was a wide open Oliver on a post that got overthrown. Would've been a TD and we wouldve been up 14-3. Another was a pass that hit Tyler Davis in the hands that he dropped just past the sticks. We have to make those plays. I'm not throwing players under the bus and I do agree sometimes there have been some questionable play calls, but not always. And some of these plays are ones that absolutely have to be made at this level to be successful.
I agree but was asked do I see improvement in the offense which i have not , improvement to me is not 1 in 10 plays.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I would say that if we were playing in the same read-and-react defense we were in last year, we would be performing much worse than we are now. It appears that our open-field tackling has improved and our secondary has done well. So, I'd say we have seen immediate improvements on D with our new staff, and this is not a knock on our previous staff, just my observations of the boys playing.
Preface my comment by saying I have only seen UNC game in person and basing most of my opinion on that, but with that said, I wouldn't agree that our secondary has done well in coverage. I have heard the arguments and don't disagree that we had no pass rush and you cannot maintain coverage for 4, 5, 6 seconds. However, the UNC receivers that I saw open often had yards of separation on the initial route. I think there is a lot of agreement that game could have been A LOT worse had their QB been modestly accurate on several throws. It seemed like in the first quarter we were playing a lot of man and were getting beat and I recall thinking "we just can't cover these guys man, we need to go to a zone". Then it seemed like we started playing a lot more zone coverage and our secondary would frequently be chasing the UNC receivers, running 2 to 3 yards behind them. That is what I have stuck in my head. Maybe we were better in the Duke game. I didn't get to watch it.