Game 7: Miami Week Media #GTvsMIA

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Gotta like Collins' attention to academic issues related to each student athlete. Very important at Tech imo.

He is doing a good job. He gets tech. Its a transition and rebuild of the roster in areas. The results on field stink. He has had 2 questionable on field decisions. Frankly one was horrible.

Because i see some things behind the scenes i am ok with whats going on. Albeit shoulda never lost to the citadel.

With that said i am hoping the next six games the team starts breaking out a bit. My fear is their confidence is shattered. They will have to tough through it

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, I would love to play for Thacker. Guy just has the “it” factor for me. I’m not well versed enough on scheme and his expertise there, but that is a guy I would want to go to battle with/for!

His care for players is genuine and he has a ton of attention to detail. You can also tell he has high expectations for his guys.

I think our defense is in good hands. It may take some time, but hearing stories about guys like Zamari is encouraging. If we can get some disrupters up front, our D will be a force in the future!

Sidewalking

Banned
Man, I would love to play for Thacker. Guy just has the “it” factor for me. I’m not well versed enough on scheme and his expertise there, but that is a guy I would want to go to battle with/for!

His care for players is genuine and he has a ton of attention to detail. You can also tell he has high expectations for his guys.

I think our defense is in good hands. It may take some time, but hearing stories about guys like Zamari is encouraging. If we can get some disrupters up front, our D will be a force in the future!

I like Thacker too. I am bothered a bit though that what appeared to be our strength early, the D, now seems to be regressing quite a bit.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thacker inadvertently brought up something that got me thinking. I really do think we’re improving on both sides of the ball, but we aren’t seeing results yet. We improved on third down, but it didn’t change the result because we started having to deal with fourth down conversions. But even so, that doesn’t mean that we didn’t still improve. We’re one step closer to where we need to be, even though we’re not there yet. I think that’s true of the offense too. Each week, we sustain more drives, but we aren’t at the point of being able to exert our will yet.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I like Thacker too. I am bothered a bit though that what appeared to be our strength early, the D, now seems to be regressing quite a bit.

Yea, it did seem like they would be the strength early. I would say they are still the strength (if you can call it that) in a sense that they are the best unit we have. I also think we are making progress. We just have a lot of young guys learning on the fly.

Having more of a presence up front would do wonders for this group. They play hard though and will only get better.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

Yea, it did seem like they would be the strength early. I would say they are still the strength (if you can call it that) in a sense that they are the best unit we have. I also think we are making progress. We just have a lot of young guys learning on the fly.

Having more of a presence up front would do wonders for this group. They play hard though and will only get better.

I brought this up on another board, but I think it's less the defense regressing and more about finally playing good offenses.

OFEI Rank Team OFEI
16 Clemson .82
40 North Carolina .46
50 Duke .31
114 Temple -.74
115 South Florida -.74

Here is how we performed in points per drive per opponent compared to their season average (including our game)

Team Average vs GT
Clemson 2.98 3.47
South Florida 1.47 1.0
Temple 1.71 1.7
North Carolina 2.15 3.16
Duke 2.61 3.09

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I brought this up on another board, but I think it's less the defense regressing and more about finally playing good offenses.

OFEI Rank Team OFEI
16 Clemson .82
40 North Carolina .46
50 Duke .31
114 Temple -.74
115 South Florida -.74

Here is how we performed in points per drive per opponent compared to their season average (including our game)

Team Average vs GT
Clemson 2.98 3.47
South Florida 1.47 1.0
Temple 1.71 1.7
North Carolina 2.15 3.16
Duke 2.61 3.09

Agree completely. I started to do some research and post something similar but was too lazy. I think Lawrence being off to start the season and USF just being really bad led to some unrealistic expectations.

I do think our guys are getting better. I thought the did some really good things in the 2nd half against Duke. 5 punts and a fg. Whether or not Duke took their foot off the gas is up for someone else to argue.

I honestly see progress on both sides of the ball. Hopefully this will lead to a couple more wins before the end of the year.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
ummm. I kinda hate asking, but ramblinwreck.com doesn't show the time and tv coverage for the football game against Miami in 3 days. so does anyone know why they don't have it listed? and who would like to give me the 411 to save me the trouble of looking it up on Miami's website?

herb

Helluva Engineer
ummm. I kinda hate asking, but ramblinwreck.com doesn't show the time and tv coverage for the football game against Miami in 3 days. so does anyone know why they don't have it listed? and who would like to give me the 411 to save me the trouble of looking it up on Miami's website?

Noon eastern acc network

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We're a young defense. Teams are getting film and game planning against what we do best and trying to exploit what we don't do well. Every week these young kids are having to get up to speed on how to defend against some things they have never seen before. In 2 years when these guys are juniors and seniors, with much more experience, most of what we're seeing will no longer be an issue. Even next year, when we purportedly have a killer schedule, we'll probably show out much better than this year.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

Agreed but is it more of a function of the D regressing or playing better teams? Note that I'm not disagreeing that our D seems to be sliding backwards a bit. :cigar:

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess most are seeing something I'm missing I don't see any Improvement the last few games

you think the O looks the same the past 2 games, actually scoring a few TDs, as it did when it got blanked vs Temple, who is worse than both Duke and UNC?