• GT by 7-13

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • GT by 14+

Votes: 41 36.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I love being 5-2. I love that we have one of the best QBs in college football. I love that we ran for close to 400 yards against UNC. I love that we’re playing Notre Dame this weekend. Good guys win 24-20! Put on your gold colored glasses and enjoy this. Let the coaches worry about shortcomings. They certainly aren’t going to learn anything from message board jockeys so there is no need to rain on the parade.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I would say that there were certain drives where the execution of the called play wasn't there, which affected the success of the play.
I would agree - CBF/CBK are obviously not at fault for every drive that stalled, the players still have to execute. But I think it's more than fair to evaluate whether they were putting us in a position to be successful, which I don't think they did on those 2 Pyron-led drives I initially highlighted.

The defense had been playing well. I'm okay with playing conservative and letting the defense hold on for the win.
I'm not, and we very nearly lost the game because of that strategy. It's been shown time and again to be very poor strategy. We also went to a prevent defense waaay too early, which everyone knows prevents you from winning. There is no reason to go conservative when we are gashing a team like we were - don't let them back in the game, deliver a deathblow.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
We almost beat ourselves. Poor play calling on offense, awful special teams performance, dumb plays by several Yellow Jackets and overall poor clock management and game management kept the game close. If we can learn to get out of our own way, we might grow into a pretty damn good football team, but we continue to pee in our own cheerios.

Go Jackets!

This is basically the Georgia Tech football that I have been familiar with for about 40 years!😂

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I would agree - CBF/CBK are obviously not at fault for every drive that stalled, the players still have to execute. But I think it's more than fair to evaluate whether they were putting us in a position to be successful, which I don't think they did on those 2 Pyron-led drives I initially highlighted.

I'm not, and we very nearly lost the game because of that strategy. It's been shown time and again to be very poor strategy. We also went to a prevent defense waaay too early, which everyone knows prevents you from winning. There is no reason to go conservative when we are gashing a team like we were - don't let them back in the game, deliver a deathblow.
The reason we nearly lost the game was due to the absurd12 men in the huddle coming out of the 2 minute TO changing 3rd an 1 to 3rd and 6. Odds are good Pyron gets the 1 yard for the 1st down.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

But how were we gashing the UNC D? It wasn’t through the air, it was on the ground.

Thus, with the game on the line, CBF kept it on the ground, where we had been gashing them.

It worked. We won on a 68-yard gash on a running play.

What are you guys complaining about? I honestly see no valid point being made here.

Is it that you wanted us to pass when we had put up 300+ yards rushing and won the game running the ball?

I’m sorry, I just don’t get it.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The reason we nearly lost the game was due to the absurd12 men in the huddle coming out of the 2 minute TO changing 3rd an 1 to 3rd and 6. Odds are good Pyron gets the 1 yard for the 1st down.
You're right, giving up easy scoring drives of 68 and 56 yards had nothing to do with it 🙄

But how were we gashing the UNC D? It wasn’t through the air, it was on the ground.

Thus, with the game on the line, CBF kept it on the ground, where we had been gashing them.

It worked. We won on a 68-yard gash on a running play.

What are you guys complaining about? I honestly see no valid point being made here.

Is it that you wanted us to pass when we had put up 300+ yards rushing and won the game running the ball?

I’m sorry, I just don’t get it.
We were gashing them on the ground WHEN there was a threat of passing. When there wasn't we couldn't run very well at all. The 68 yd play came *drumroll* ... after we finally let Pyron pass!

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
You're right, giving up easy scoring drives of 68 and 56 yards had nothing to do with it 🙄

We were gashing them on the ground WHEN there was a threat of passing. When there wasn't we couldn't run very well at all. The 68 yd play came *drumroll* ... after we finally let Pyron pass!
OK. So, we passed and then we ran for a TD. What are you complaining about? I am truly stumped - even more so now.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
OK. So, we passed and then we ran for a TD. What are you complaining about? I am truly stumped - even more so now.
My complaint was always the prior series when Pyron had 3 running plays and we couldn’t get a first down to ice the game. I felt they did not fear the pass at all then and it showed at the LOS

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I hope pyron gets some quality pt. Imo, he may not gash them for big gains like king. But when he runs off qb draw, he will get first down and punish the cb . His style will be like that big qb vt had about 10 years ago. I think pyron is accurate at short range. Key s style is to barely get first down on 3 plays so pyron maybe perfect.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Was that when we got a 1st and 5 and couldn't get a 1st down?
Yes. 1st and 5 turned into 3rd and 6 after the penalty.
I don't have a problem with the play calls on first and second down as some on here have mentioned. The clock was winding down and we needed to keep it running. Had we not gotten penalized, we would have had 3rd and 1 with an excellent chance at a first down and a decent chance of icing the game as a result. If I'm calling plays with 3 downs to make 5 yards and don't want to risk a clock stoppage or worse yet an INT, I run the ball in that situation. No coach in that situation would have anticipated 3rd and 6. Once it came to that, we were behind the chains.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
U

You are being obstinate! Make that 1 yard on 3rd down at the 2 minute mark and UNC at best gets the ball back with less than a minute in the game. Just a horrendous blunder! Our defense is what it is, a somewhat below average P4 defense. Expecting them to be different than they are is not realistic. They played about like they play every week. Ok at best. We are not good enough to give away opportunities that can seal a game away.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Was that when we got a 1st and 5 and couldn't get a 1st down?
No, Haynes got 4 yards on 2 carries after the UNC Defensive delay of game that gave us 1st and 5. That took the game to the 2 minute Time Out. We had 2rd and 1 yard but came out of the TO with 12 men in the huddle and broke the huddle with all 12 resulting in a 5 yard penalty making it 3rd and 6. Pyron gained 3 yards on 3rd down. Then the bobbled catch on the long snap by Shanahan and his 32 yard punt.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
GT Stats after the UNC game.

Passing Yards: #26 Haynes King - 136/191/1568 yards
Passing Efficiency: #34 Haynes King - 152.94
Receiving Yards: #36 Malik Rutherford - 509
Receptions per Game: #36 Malik Rutherford - 5.7
Rushing Yards: #32 Jamal Haynes - 536
Rushing YPG: #54 Jamal Haynes - 76.6

Total Offense: #32 GA Tech - 444.6 YPG
Rushing Offense: #25 GA Tech - 204.4 YPG
Passing Offense: #59 GA Tech - 240.1 YPG

Total Defense: #36 GA Tech - 327.4 YPG
Rushing Defense: #24 GA Tech - 103.7 YPG
Passing Defense: #83 GA Tech - 223.7 YPG

At the beginning of the year, I think most here would have been happy with these stats.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
GT Stats after the UNC game.

Passing Yards: #26 Haynes King - 136/191/1568 yards
Passing Efficiency: #34 Haynes King - 152.94
Rushing Yards: #32 Jamal Haynes - 536
Rushing YPG: #54 Jamal Haynes - 76.6

Total Offense: #32 GA Tech - 444.6 YPG
Rushing Offense: #25 GA Tech - 204.4 YPG
Passing Offense: #59 GA Tech - 240.1 YPG

Total Defense: #36 GA Tech - 327.4 YPG
Rushing Defense: #24 GA Tech - 103.7 YPG
Passing Defense: #83 GA Tech - 223.7 YPG

At the beginning of the year, I think most here would have been happy with these stats.
Most are and they are why we have a 5-2 record which I believe most on here would have been happy with after 7 games before the season.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
I listened to Kelly on YouTube last night and he said that they had originally called 1 play coming out of the timeout and then changed the play. One guy who would be in for the first play and out for the second play didn't hear the play change, thus there were 12 in the huddle. Don't know if that was true.