Votes: 34 30.6%
  • GT by 14+

Votes: 41 36.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's the "competing DUE factors" ...

- Ga Tech is due to win a road game this season (0-2)
- UNC is due to beat the Jackets (3 loss streak)

Seriously... who believes UNC is trending toward quit mode? 3-3 is not where they expected to be. The JMU beat down still has legs. Mack Brown is approaching 100 yrs old. Their DC is a clown.

Ga Tech should win. We're better. I am very interested in how Ga Tech looks tomorrow. Seems like a strength of CBK is to have the team ready to play week in & week out. Hope I'm right.

GT 38
UNC 17

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
i picked GT <7. So technically I lost. UNC was desperate which made them more dangerous than they should have been
Also playing for a fallen teammate. They have good personnel and guys at this level have pride. This was a dangerous team that we beat on the road.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We almost beat ourselves. Poor play calling on offense, awful special teams performance, dumb plays by several Yellow Jackets and overall poor clock management and game management kept the game close. If we can learn to get out of our own way, we might grow into a pretty damn good football team, but we continue to pee in our own cheerios.

Go Jackets!

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
We called plays so badly we only ended up with 505 total yards. We did a lot of things wrong last Saturday but generally play calling wasn’t one.
Generally, yes the play calling was more than adequate, but there were certainly drives with poor play calling. The drive with the missed fg and the drive immediately after that consisted of 3 Pyron QB keeps and 3 hand offs to the RB. Everyone on planet earth knew we were going to run the ball, and mostly with Pyron because that's basically all we've done with him all season, and we did it anyway. There was no reason to wait until the very last drive to start letting Pyron sling it.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Generally, yes the play calling was more than adequate, but there were certainly drives with poor play calling. The drive with the missed fg and the drive immediately after that consisted of 3 Pyron QB keeps and 3 hand offs to the RB. Everyone on planet earth knew we were going to run the ball, and mostly with Pyron because that's basically all we've done with him all season, and we did it anyway. There was no reason to wait until the very last drive to start letting Pyron sling it.
On your first point: Sure, but is this not always the case? No OC calls a perfect game. It comes across as petty griping when we put over 500 yards up and “experts” go to criticizing play calling.

You’d have to ask CBF on your second point, but I would say: we were very successful running the ball, the D was playing well (one of the TD’s was a punt return), and we were ahead until the last drive. Why not burn clock and do what we’d been doing well all day long. It’s ultimately what won us the game.

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe we should consider
  1. Our starting QB was injured in the first series, and was way off in his passing, to the degree that it certainly changed our play calls. he was only 50% completion percentage for the game
  2. We lost our main starting TE in the game, and most of the rest are injured. We played a freshman who hasn't gotten much time and a freshman OT as a TE. Faulkner walked like to run 2 and 3 tight end sets, but he's constrained
  3. We gave up a 69 yard point return
And we still won

1 is a big deal. One more successful series in the second half and we don’t punt, and have a runaway win

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
On your first point: Sure, but is this not always the case? No OC calls a perfect game. It comes across as petty griping when we put over 500 yards up and “experts” go to criticizing play calling.

You’d have to ask CBF on your second point, but I would say: we were very successful running the ball, the D was playing well (one of the TD’s was a punt return), and we were ahead until the last drive. Why not burn clock and do what we’d been doing well all day long. It’s ultimately what won us the game.
I'm not suggesting he has to call a perfect game. I didn't feel it necessary to highlight originally because I thought my explanation was reasonable, but we had 3 additional 3 and outs with King at QB and 5 total punts on 13 drives, so 6/13 drives scored zero points. Our offense was not incredibly efficient, we just played a patented Geoff Collins defense. There is clearly room for improvement, but it seems some of y'all are upset to hear that everything was less than perfect and some of us want to see improvement.

Regarding running the ball being successful - yes it was for the RBs and King, but it was most successful and always is when you threaten to pass too and the whole world can't predict what you are going to do. Unlike the RBs and King, Pyron was not very successful running the ball all game: he had runs of 1 yd, -3yds, 3yds, 1 yd, and 4yds. The defense knew that he was almost certainly keeping the ball every play he was in. I don't know how people can ignore that or act like it doesn't matter.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
I would say that there were certain drives where the execution of the called play wasn't there, which affected the success of the play.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
The defense had been playing well. I'm okay with playing conservative and letting the defense hold on for the win.