Game 4 #GTvsWF Postgame

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Then two blindside blocks? The one on Kinnard was suspect. I didn’t see the other.
It was a blindside block, as per the rules. Pretty understandable penalty on his part, though. He was trying to make a good block, just got him from the side.
Don't know what the other penalty, the personal foul after the play was all about (didn't he get flagged twice for 30 yards?)

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It was a blindside block, as per the rules. Pretty understandable penalty on his part, though. He was trying to make a good block, just got him from the side.
Don't know what the other penalty, the personal foul after the play was all about (didn't he get flagged twice for 30 yards?)
Yes, it was 15 for blindside and additional 15 after the play for unsportsmanlike (taunting). They didn’t really show either penalty on replay. Never saw the “taunting.”
Blindside block was probably just because he blocked “outside / in.” It was a clean hit otherwise and a bang / bang play on change of possession

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The announcers said the unsportsmanlike penalty was for taunting.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Happy to get a win. Right on schedule to where we need to be to get 6 wins and a bowl game.

Defense was the best in quite some time. Reminded me alot of the UNC game at MBS 2 years ago (8 sacks and 5 TO vs 8 sacks and 3 TO). I am not expecting that type of performance every week but it was nice seeing them take advantage of an avg OL and a small QB who takes too long to make decisions. Wake should have run more and pass less. Not even going to downgrade them for the penalties - A+.

Offense was the worst it has been all season. Basically had 2 good drives all game until the final drive. Play calling was suspect (why are you calling up 20 yd pass plays when you need 7 for a first down?). Until the final drive the offense had 92 rushing yards on 28 carries. Had 3 possessions start in Wake territory and a 4th at midfield and ended up with 13 plays, 12 yds and 9 pts. Offense left alot of points on the field. Only 13 first downs for the game. Wake's defense was solid and not fooled by anything GT tried. C-

Special Teams - relatively solid. Punt team took advantage of the muff. Why the KR team ever tries to return the ball is beyond me, I think they may have one return that has gone for more than 25 yds on the season. Just fair catch and take the ball at the 25, would be better overall. FG team was good. - A-

Good, well deserved win, but still plenty of teaching moments on the tape. The number of penalties were ridiculous, and all but one or two were legit.
First TD was probably not a TD, but that was offset by one of Wake's TD's arising due to a poor PI call.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck

Big ole' gain of salt to take with most advanced stats analysis but reflects a lot to work on still.

Great to see a lot of big explosive plays on offense. A bit disappointing to see us struggling to maintain drives in the 2nd half to put the game away. Get a 1st and goal on the 9 yard line and we ultimately go backwards and settle for a FG?! Got to do better against better teams.

Ultimately very happy we went on the road and got the win against a historic conference rival. D stepped up when they had to, great to see the pressure on the QB and the turnovers

GetYourBuzzOn

Georgia Tech Fan

Big ole' gain of salt to take with most advanced stats analysis but reflects a lot to work on still.

Great to see a lot of big explosive plays on offense. A bit disappointing to see us struggling to maintain drives in the 2nd half to put the game away. Get a 1st and goal on the 9 yard line and we ultimately go backwards and settle for a FG?! Got to do better against better teams.

Ultimately very happy we went on the road and got the win against a historic conference rival. D stepped up when they had to, great to see the pressure on the QB and the turnovers

Maybe I need new glasses, but it always takes me a good 2-3 min to find the damn GT logo on those graphs LOL

My main takeaway was that we won a game that we have historically lost. How many times have we seen a similar situation where the opposing team drives the length of the field and scores to win the game? This time we made a play. Also, the D made adjustments to generate pressure and the O-line had their best game of the season. We are getting better, and that's all I had hoped for this year.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I need new glasses, but it always takes me a good 2-3 min to find the damn GT logo on those graphs LOL

My main takeaway was that we won a game that we have historically lost in recent years. How many times have we seen a similar situation where the opposing team drives the length of the field and scores to win the game? This time we made a play. Also, the D made adjustments to generate pressure and the O-line had their best game of the season. We are getting better, and that's all I had hoped for this year.
Fixed for you, but I agree.
When we settled for the FG to go up 14 after the fumble, I was convinced we would be losing in OT. My wife was laughing at me, but I had seen that show too many times before! I just knew they would get in the endzone and we would give the ball back to them with a chance to tie. They did, and then we did… but unlike previous fiascos, the D came up with a INT and then Haynes and Haynes came up with big runs to put it away. Whew!
Good to put it in the win column, and it’s good to put away a close game late. I don’t like the opportunities we gave them, but we’re learning how to win again…

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

What does this graph mean? Why are we "-.15" in "net success rate"? Success doing what?

slugboy

Staff member

My main takeaway was that we won a game that we have historically lost. How many times have we seen a similar situation where the opposing team drives the length of the field and scores to win the game? This time we made a play. Also, the D made adjustments to generate pressure and the O-line had their best game of the season. We are getting better, and that's all I had hoped for this year.
Don’t take this as me being negative on a win. I think we got just 10 points off of the 5 turnovers we should have gotten at least double that.
We hit some beautiful big plays, but we don’t grind it out very well (we aren’t efficient).
The last couple of years, we didn’t move the ball a lot. Now, we move the ball. We move it well enough that we should score a lot more than we do.
This is kind of like complaining that the maids keep bumping into the furniture when they’re cleaning the house.
What does this graph mean? Why are we "-.15" in "net success rate"? Huh?
Success rate is how often you get 50% of necessary yards on first down, 70% on second down, and 100% on third down. It’s “staying ahead of the chains”. Net success rate is our success rate minus Wake’s success rate. We’re at -15%, because Wake was 15% better than us at staying ahead of the chains.

We lived on big plays.

Last edited:

bikeseat

GT Athlete
There's something to be said for this team "learning to win". Just as fans we expected to lose this one, there's an element of that in the team after 4 years of Geoff.

Back in '14 and '16, there were weeks where we would have the sorriest, worst looking practices all week. But come Saturday we just knew how to win and take care of business. I remember at the Taxslayer bowl, the practices were really bad but it didn't matter. Everyone was hungover all week lol

I remember vividly one of the days in Jacksonville there was a local coaches clinic during the morning session after the last curfew free night. We laughed our asses off on the way home saying how these coaches must've been thinking "Wtf is this group of losers"