Game 4 #GTvsWF Postgame

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s not just about the calls that were made, some of which deserve an absolute ear full at the minimum, but also about the calls that weren’t made. As a receiver, it’s pretty easy to get open when you are allowed to push the defender completely away from the play. And that was for a touchdown.
If you are going to give ticky tack calls for taunting, you better be getting every other call correct
This was my biggest gripe. 90% of the calls were ticky tacky at best but they were ONLY against us! There were so many plays that could have been called against Wake that were not. If you are going to call every little questionable contact or hold (which I think is BS regardless) then you need to call them against both teams.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Well, another 2nd half collapse (loaded with 3 and outs) on offense and needing 5 turnovers to beat a lousy Wake team doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies. Reminders of the 5 turnover win against UNC that led nowhere. Sure, a win is a win and we are much improved from last year thanks to King and Singleton but this coaching staff has to figure out how to get this team consistent. This was our one conference gimme game.
Friends, this post is a masterclass lesson in how to take a 2 TD win and turn it into a loss. It’s a positively superlative show to the players how unappreciated their efforts were. Bravo.

Look my fellow GT fan. I get the frustration that there were lots of issues to correct. I’m not at all disagreeing with you that we made a ton of errors and this Wake team isn’t as good as they were the last couple of years. But if all you have in your heart for this team after a win is a lump of coal then I don’t know what to tell you. They’ve struggled to beat anyone the last 4 years and lost nearly every game like this during that span. Last night they got a win in spite of many mistakes. Hopefully that’s a sign of improvement and they still have a ways to go.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We definitely proved to be a tougher opponent. Kudos to our d tonight
Maybe these men have read or heard the criticism from this forum and others including my own somewhat scathing commentary on the defensive line. Tonight they showed pride, determination and want to in getting pressure on the Wake quarterback. I was impressed with a play Kennard made in the first half (I think) when he had been blocked to the ground got up and hustled to record what looked to be a tackle for a loss. As for Biggers, he was in "Zeke and Destroy" mode as Andy put it. An impressive performance and certainly not one expected by me. Gee, that crow sure tastes good today.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It is great to not have a maniac on the sidelines. However, does anyone else wish Key would show a little more emotion and energy. If you look at the current great college coaches (Saban, Smart, Sweeney, Day, Harbaugh, etc), they are all pretty animated, not stupid and goofy like Collins, but enough to fire up the team and fight for ref calls.
Well, the two coaches that (more than likely in my opinion) had the most influence on Coach Key could blow a gasket at times but could also let the assistants do their jobs. I am speculating that coaches Saban and O'Leary are the two that influenced him the most but could be wrong. One time Coach O'Leary blew up on television. A Tech safety had given up a touchdown on what appeared to be a post pattern. When the unfortunate player got to the bench, he was called to the phone and was likely getting chewed out by an assistant, Coach O'Leary comes up jerks the phone; out of the player's hand, yells at him and proceeds to start yelling at the assistant. A two for one dressing down. Football is an emotional, violent game played by emotional violent men. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I was struck by that as well. He looked as if he were just taking it all in, and thinking ahead to what he needs to work on in next week's practices.
I don't know, I think he may have been thinking back more than 20 years ago and saying to himself. "You know, back in my day, we did not let guys whip us like our defensive line is doing to Wake tonight. Eight sacks in one game? Ralph would have had a heart attack.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The WF fan board has a consensus opinion about what happened:
Griffis is terrible and the refs favored Ga Tech.
They are wrong on both counts. Griffis is a good quarterback but Joe Namath in his prime would have been helpless in the face of a pass rush that was relentless. 8 sacks does not tell the whole story as Griffis was under duress on nearly every play. "Refs favored Tech"? When I was a church deacon, I would have been kicked off the diaconate for smoking dope to the point of being out of touch with reality.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
  • Great feeling waking up Sunday AM with a victory !!
  • Loved the attacking defensive game plan
  • DL play improved, run defense was a little shaky
  • Too many penalties, kept WF drives alive
  • Haynes King-Singleton combination huge bright spot going forward
  • Pass Interference penalty against Johnson on WF 2nd TD was awful, glad he got'em back with the int.
  • Team plays hard, that's a compliment for this staff
  • Not going to say what was going through my mind with 4 minutes left in the game ...
The PI call on Johnson was ridiculous. The camera shot of his face when the flag came out tells you what he thought about it. Forget about it, come back and get the next one which he did.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
But if all you have in your heart for this team after a win is a lump of coal then I don’t know what to tell you. They’ve struggled to beat anyone the last 4 years and lost nearly every game like this during that span. Last night they got a win in spite of many mistakes. Hopefully that’s a sign of improvement and they still have a ways to go.
My golfing buddy is from S. Africa and is a huge rugby guy. His team (#2 in the world) just lost a tough match yesterday to world #1 Ireland (I would not have known had he not told during our round today.) He was going on and on about some of the mistakes his squad made. I asked if the Irish team made any as well. Of course, he said and he proceeded to name them (although it was unintelligible to me).

The point being, in any close sporting event, both sides will have major mistakes that impact the bottom line. All things being equal, it's the team that makes the fewest of these will generally win the contest. I used to examine each loss critically as some others do, including whomever poster you quoted. Now, as others have said, I just celebrate the wins and don't believe in "style points" anymore. There just aren't any games without errors and I have seen plenty of GT defenses over the 15 years or so who would have wilted on that final drive. We had the one guy who DID make the final play that tilted the outcome in our favor. Life is good imo.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
They are wrong on both counts. Griffis is a good quarterback but Joe Namath in his prime would have been helpless in the face of a pass rush that was relentless. 8 sacks does not tell the whole story as Griffis was under duress on nearly every play. "Refs favored Tech"? When I was a church deacon, I would have been kicked off the diaconate for smoking dope to the point of being out of touch with reality.
I must confess I nearly felt sorry or the guy he was getting punished so much. Tough kid and being 5'11" with a collpasing pocket on nearly every single play was not an assett either. His OL owe him an apology.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My impressions:

The Good
• Normally, when an opponent turns the ball over 5 times you might say they gave us the ball game. This is not what happened last night. What happened is that our D took the game. It is hard to believe that the D that collapsed against Ole Miss sacked Griffis 8 (count 'em 8) times and had 10 (count 'em 10) TFLs! I've been complaining here for three weeks about the DL. They didn't look like the same outfit last night. True, Wake rushed for 224 yards, but they were continually stymied by DL penetration. That's why the other side coughed up the ball 4 times and lost 2. It is also why Griffis threw 3 INTs; Tech's D was in his face on almost every play.
• We tackled! We tackled! We tackled! I propose that Coach run tackle drills from Monday to Thursday for the rest of the season. It worked.
• I said earlier (I just checked) that our WRs were faster then theirs. Also, I neglected to mention, faster then their DBs. Sure enough.
• King looked good last night. They got good penetration too, but he moved around in the pocket effectively. He ran the ball well; I was glad to see a couple of QB run plays.
• The special teams looked both organized and effective. Another "Who are those guys?" moment for me.

The Bad (though this was a win):
• The OL didn't open many holes for the RBs and when they did the RBs often didn't take proper advantage of them. Still, we ran enough to keep them sorta honest.
• The OL also didn't give King the time he needed to pick them apart. He created that time himself on a couple of plays and they only sacked him once, but if he got a pocket he delivered. Again, however, that was a pretty good rush D. This is more of a quibble then a real complaint.
• Too many penalties. Still, penalties are often the result of aggressive play. My freshman year in college we had the most openalized team in our conference. At the banquet our head coach mentioned that, stopped, then said, 'I just want thank you." Still, this was perhaps the only major flaw in the game.

I thought we had a chance to win this one, but I had it marked as a probable loss. I'm very pleased that we went into a hostile environment against a confident program and won. I now think 6 wins is a real possibility.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
The PI call on Johnson was ridiculous. The camera shot of his face when the flag came out tells you what he thought about it. Forget about it, come back and get the next one which he did.
They were picking on him big time in the 2nd half, and he played well, his coverage for the most part was good, give the kid big props for not hanging his head after the bogus call.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Wait, did WF REALLY get 31 first downs with only 3+ m

did they really get 31 first downs? That’s gotta be a typo
No, they really did. Wake made all kinds of yards both rushing and passing but it was all between the 20s and very few big plays. Griffis was under duress so much that his yards per completion was about 6 yards it seems like. Big plays are the difference makers in today's game. Also, all the yardage made by the Deacons was largely negated by 5 turnovers even allowing for two of them being late in the game and the eight sacks.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
If we lose to BG I’ll cut off my left nut.
Your commitment to the outcome is admirable. I hope we win.

nuts GIF