Game 4 Georgia Tech @ Wake Forest (-7)

CEB

Helluva Engineer
he is a friend I wouldn't say anything bad about him great guy and smart.
I think you misinterpret.
Just saying that measured replies and genuine questions typically draw far less response than brazen, stupid proclamations, which draw innumerable replies from both real and self-proclaimed experts.
My poor attempt at message board dynamic humor…. But I guess if I have to explain it… :confused:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The starters may be doing the best they can "in doing what they have been told to do". For example we are weak against the outsde run. Why? One big reason is that our DEs are always crashing inside or looking and charging inside or getting EASILY blocked inside. (Maybe Thack thinks the inside guys have to have help? ). DEs do not have the "do not let your man block you inside instructions or discipline or?" We are having to stop the outside runs with our LBs taking a give ground pursuit angle and our DBs are coming off coverage from wherever and having to make open field one on one tackles...all this without the benefit of help from the DE. The LBs seem pre-occupied with reading keys (pulling linemen or birds going south) and they seem to not follow the ball early on so that leads to not getting there, or giving ground in pursuit, or poorly positioned to make a bring down hit or?. To a large degree our D problems are coaching and the talent level cannot compensate well enough on the fly.

We were running the ball against Louisville in the second Q very successfully and at halftime the L coaches made adjustment instructions to their D and completely shut down those runs in the next several series...coaching. We saw the coaching adjustments in the recent Wake vs OD game where the Wake D performance on the field was completely changed in the second half. These adjustments were not made with wholesale substitutions of backup players. These were x and o coaches doing their job well.
'
Thanks for your detailed answer to the question, "is it coaching or talent?" Gives me something to train my eye on in the next few games..

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The starters may be doing the best they can "in doing what they have been told to do". For example we are weak against the outsde run. Why? One big reason is that our DEs are always crashing inside or looking and charging inside or getting EASILY blocked inside. (Maybe Thack thinks the inside guys have to have help? ). DEs do not have the "do not let your man block you inside instructions or discipline or?" We are having to stop the outside runs with our LBs taking a give ground pursuit angle and our DBs are coming off coverage from wherever and having to make open field one on one tackles...all this without the benefit of help from the DE. The LBs seem pre-occupied with reading keys (pulling linemen or birds going south) and they seem to not follow the ball early on so that leads to not getting there, or giving ground in pursuit, or poorly positioned to make a bring down hit or?. To a large degree our D problems are coaching and the talent level cannot compensate well enough on the fly.

We were running the ball against Louisville in the second Q very successfully and at halftime the L coaches made adjustment instructions to their D and completely shut down those runs in the next several series...coaching. We saw the coaching adjustments in the recent Wake vs OD game where the Wake D performance on the field was completely changed in the second half. These adjustments were not made with wholesale substitutions of backup players. These were x and o coaches doing their job well.
'
Visual aide?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Tatum is #7? Standing almost straight up at the snap, neither of em with their heads on a swivel.
Yes… and it looks like we have a DB (Harvey?) on the edge and his first move is also inside. I can’t tell who is lined up on the end for Miss… if he is eligible, that explains why the DB follows him inside until he reads run. It looks like there was a back or pulling blocker coming to kick out the “end” but Harvey was so tight he couldn’t find him
Granted goal line is a little different and maybe credit to Miss for play design, but it made for a pretty easy conversion on outside run.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes… and it looks like we have a DB (Harvey?) on the edge and his first move is also inside. I can’t tell who is lined up on the end for Miss… if he is eligible, that explains why the DB follows him inside until he reads run. It looks like there was a back or pulling blocker coming to kick out the “end” but Harvey was so tight he couldn’t find him
Granted goal line is a little different and maybe credit to Miss for play design, but it made for a pretty easy conversion on outside run.
Yeah, wtf is he doing. As soon as his blocker goes inside, he should take a direct line to the ball carriers outside shoulder. Instead he tries to follow the blocker and gives up outside leverage. Not that it would make a difference as Tatum, who apparently was supposed to cover the gap, is knocked six feet backwards into Brooks. Just a piss poor effort all around

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Sigh, and those are supposedly two of our best defenders.
I hate to jump on with just one play but # 7 got "lost" on a Miss TD run.He went outside the end a good bit and just stood there in a "dead" area not reacting to the runner at all really as he cut inside him easily...That's one of the ways to give up easy TDs.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Oof

A statistical representation that shows what we've all been seeing on the field. GT bottom 5 in ALL OF FBS at allowing yards after contact on rushes. Awful. Need to improve somehow, someway

So that says we make the hit but don't put the carrier on the ground. I can see some of that late in games when guys are tired but are our players really that bad at tackling? Stats say we are.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I think some simply have not-so-sharp football instincts which even the best of coaching doesn't overcome.
May be time to change to a 3-3-5 to get an extra LB type out there. Are we just took small in the secondary to bring guys down or bad technique?

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure how much the tropical storm weather will affect this game. I can’t see it as much of a help to us due to our tackling woes. Wind could impact both teams special teams - it’s hard for us to get more ‘special’ in that area so maybe that’s a plus if it affects both teams…