• NIU by 7-13

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NIU by 14+

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm feeling something like 65-10. We'll stretch our legs on offense in the first half and maybe hit 42. NIU will be trying to get their transfer QB in rhythm by passing a lot, hopefully causing a low TOP for NIU. In the second half, we will run a lot to kill the clock, but our "backup" RBs have very little drop off, so they will break some long runs.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I'm feeling something like 65-10. We'll stretch our legs on offense in the first half and maybe hit 42. NIU will be trying to get their transfer QB in rhythm by passing a lot, hopefully causing a low TOP for NIU. In the second half, we will run a lot to kill the clock, but our "backup" RBs have very little drop off, so they will break some long runs.
Agree they are likely to be throwing more to try to get some rhythm, if and when it happens I think we are going to pick one and bring it back to you.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
NIU Roster (click on the position heading to filter):

Is that correct? NIU's DT's are REALLY young. They've got 1 JR and 1 SR at DE...so they're really young there as well. Their LBs are undersized. If I'm CGC and Brent Key, I can't wait to maul them with our OL and stable of elite RBs.

I think we see over 200 yards rushing.

Jeff Sims will have all day to pick NIU's secondary apart. Would not be surprised if he throws for over 200 yards.

I see our offense with 450+ yards of offense.

I think it'll be a LONG day for their defense.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not too worried about our offense. we easily put up 30+ against these guys. It's whether or not our defense figured out how to stop anyone

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Is that correct? NIU's DT's are REALLY young. They've got 1 JR and 1 SR at DE...so they're really young there as well. Their LBs are undersized. If I'm CGC and Brent Key, I can't wait to maul them with our OL and stable of elite RBs.

Jeff Sims will have all day to pick NIU's secondary apart. Would not be surprised if he throws for over 200 yards.

From their board: https://csnbbs.com/thread-928034-page-2.html

1630615183514.png

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Some of their fans see an upset .......check it out.

https://www.csnbbs.com/thread-928072.html
They are expecting a close game. As I said earlier, I expect Tech to cover, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it close. It's our first game.

Btw, remember that we barely beat GSU in the first game in 2014 with probably the best Tech team since 1990. If it is close that won't necessarily tell us anything about how the season will turn out. Neither would a blowout, for that matter.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I just watched the highlights of the NIU vs Central Michigan last November. If they aren't a LOT, LOT better this won't be close.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech 31 - NIU 23

I don't see a blowout. I expect there's going to be some miscues and mistakes. Under this staff, Tech's identity has been dumb penalties, turnovers, and a total inability to make any sort of kick. I doubt that's all going to change instantly.

I think Tech manages to build a double digit lead in the 3rd quarter despite some sloppy play. NIU makes it look a little more respectable with a couple late scores.

Would love to be wrong to the positive.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

Their D as a whole is extremely young, much more so than the offense. Most of the Fr have a COVID year behind them, though I don't know who has actually played.

I don't think their line is all that small, but they don't have the depth at desired size particularly at end. The LB are lighter in the pants for sure.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Here we go! First poll of the season. Same options as always.

As of today the Jackets are 18 point favorites against the Huskies.

What say you?
I say, with the certainty of someone with no skin in the game, that if Tech does not win by three touchdowns or more there is something amiss. Northern Illinois is considered at or near the bottom of the MAC, did not win a game last year, and is counting on a slew of transfers.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I want to feel disrespected, but I can't blame them at this point. TIME TO PUT THE BALL DOWN.
Well, Cumberland and General Custer probably felt the same way... a few turnovers, a couple of helpful penalties, some opening day jitters by the home team... who knows? Sure it could happen but I still believe that the Huskies are not very good even by the modest standards of the MAC and Tech will win by three touchdowns or more. IIWII