Ga Tech Placekicking Problems

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
This is starting to look like Collins was trying to get King to make kicks so he wouldn't need to retain Wells' scholarship. From what I understand, King was a schollie recruit and Wells was a walk-on that was given a scholarship after the 2018 season. Was Collins looking to drop from 2 schollie kickers to 1?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
This is starting to look like Collins was trying to get King to make kicks so he wouldn't need to retain Wells' scholarship. From what I understand, King was a schollie recruit and Wells was a walk-on that was given a scholarship after the 2018 season. Was Collins looking to drop from 2 schollie kickers to 1?

Considering it was Collins who gave Wells the scholarship to begin with, no.
King also graduated after last season, so this doesn't make any sense at all. Why give Wells a scholarship you didn't have to, and then run him off in favor of a guy that was closer to graduating?

No conspiracies necessary. Bottom line is neither could get the job done and here we are.

Last edited:

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
People keep saying that in warmups in 2019, Wells could barely get it off the ground. But even in his one or two misses in 2019, I don’t recall them being as bad as what yall have described in warmups. And didn’t he make a few in 2019? I guess my question is, did Wells shank a kick in any game in 2019?

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
People keep saying that in warmups in 2019, Wells could barely get it off the ground. But even in his one or two misses in 2019, I don’t recall them being as bad as what yall have described in warmups. And didn’t he make a few in 2019? I guess my question is, did Wells shank a kick in any game in 2019?
People are misconstruing Wells’ XPs and FGs from 2019 as his kickoffs. IIIRC, Wells managed kickoffs for an extended period and did have at least one bad one that I recall vividly. However, it’s not uncommon for teams to have different kickers manage kickoffs and field goals. In the end, it’s an odd story that begins with a walk-on sensation in 2018 and ends with him leaving the team with really solid overall stats. Outside of asking Wells what happened, and I’m not sure the media that covers our team has the instincts necessary for that story, we may never know.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Outside of asking Wells what happened, and I’m not sure the media that covers our team has the instincts necessary for that story, we may never know.
I would guess there are probably people in the media the know what happened. In general the GT sports media doesn't report stories about player issues without their involvement. There are exceptions when there is public information, such as kicked off the team or arrested. They haven't, in general, posted stories about personal issues, medical issues, etc. except for when the players themselves are out in public discussing those issues.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
It's possible that CPJ didn't force kickers to compete. I doubt it. There was no safety being #1 the year Wells came in as option #3. It's the default nature of D1 athletics.

If Wells could not stand the pressure of competition (practice), I doubt he could stand the pressure of competition (game). Kickers are sometimes fickle. Self-created head games happen as much as anything. I agree with you to an extent, maybe Wells kicked well year 1 based on the ability to kick freely/no expectations. Then, there became expectations.

Now, I'm not saying definitively that Wells was fickle nor that the coaches are entirely absolved. No one knows; probably not even those directly involved. I am projecting a bit like others. My opinion starts with direct observation of Wells struggling in warm-ups to consistently get the ball above the uprights and shanking kicks 10-20 yards wide left. Regardless of how bad a coach mishandles a kicker, I don't blame that entire lack of performance primarily on coaching. And watching that was so discouraging that there is no way, despite the prior year's performance, that one could logically assume he'll turn it around in game action.

It's one thing to become a head case and miss barely (relatively) wide left or wide right a la FSU kickers of old. It's entirely another to struggle to make solid contact. Of course, that's what our current crop is doing which lends credence the other direction, but our coaches have been around long enough and have a track record at Temple wherein they had a decent kicker and the back-ups could at least convert XPs. And if the coaches are at fault and they somehow forgot how to coach kickers, it will be their undoing because it's that critically important to W/L, O and D aside.
Transitioning to this year, I don't think CGC, Saban, nor Lombardi, etc. can coach their way out of our current kicking situation. The kickers are what they are, and barring an unexpected light switch moment, we and the coaches are in a finger-crossing situation this offseason that something works out. Hopefully they have an Ace up the sleeve. Maybe a grad transfer. Maybe Verdisco is the answer. We've had a couple walk-on kickers injured over the last several years that might be the root of the issue, and potentially it's just bad luck. We cannot afford to assume the current crop will contribute.

we don’t really know what the deal was and likely never will but, and I’m saying this as nice as possible, the data clearly shows that the common denominator in the PKing issue is not the kicker.

5 kickers can’t all be suffering from bad form or lack of confidence can they ? I mean ok they could, but what are the chances that out of 5 kickers we can’t find one whose cool under pressure, even in practice ?

there has to be an issue with the instruction somewhere, doesn't there ?

I just don’t think PKing is the position for ATL, especially given the fact that most of us agree kickers can be a troublesome breed to begin with.

aside from kicking, the blocking for kicks still has holes. The actual # of blocked kicks are down but pay attention this weekend, if we kick, a defender will get through that line, he may not block it but he will get through. If the kickers are in daily competition the line has to scare the hell out of them before they even snap it.

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan
People are misconstruing Wells’ XPs and FGs from 2019 as his kickoffs. IIIRC,

This. People are molding their memories to fit their narratives. It's why the same people are also getting caught completely fabricating things. I'm not arguing that Wells may have been struggling with consistency in practice or in warmups, but facts and video evidence refute the suggestion that Wells had become grossly incompetent.

Wells kicked 6 for 8 in 2019. 6/7 XPs. 0/1 FGs. I went back and watched every kick. His 6 made XPs were perfect form kicks, high and straight down the center. On the one missed XP, it appears the timing of the snap-hold-kick was a beat off, Wells took an extra half step to adjust, and pushed it wide right by a foot. The one missed FG looked beautiful in sequence and flight, but it was from the right hash and it actually grazes the right upright. It was well struck and had plenty of distance and height.

Wells did not have some sort of major mental case in which all of his kicks were egregious shanks, barely off the ground as has been claimed. It's just not true. CGC benched a kicker who was 50 for 50 because his backup had a better week of practice. We have struggled with kicking ever since.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
we don’t really know what the deal was and likely never will but, and I’m saying this as nice as possible, the data clearly shows that the common denominator in the PKing issue is not the kicker.

5 kickers can’t all be suffering from bad form or lack of confidence can they ? I mean ok they could, but what are the chances that out of 5 kickers we can’t find one whose cool under pressure, even in practice ?

there has to be an issue with the instruction somewhere, doesn't there ?

I just don’t think PKing is the position for ATL, especially given the fact that most of us agree kickers can be a troublesome breed to begin with.

aside from kicking, the blocking for kicks still has holes. The actual # of blocked kicks are down but pay attention this weekend, if we kick, a defender will get through that line, he may not block it but he will get through. If the kickers are in daily competition the line has to scare the hell out of them before they even snap it.
Yes, it is strange to have a seemingly deteriorating kicking room. It is unlike anything I have ever seen and likely that Collins has seen and certainly overseen.

There is data from Temple that suggests Collins is not the issue. How do you interpret the kicking performance at Temple vs now?

I do think it’s possible that a bunch of walk-on kickers are not up to D1 expectations and there could be a mental issue in that room that is sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. That is not to say I discount the idea that there are coaching elements at play.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
All I know is that if they don't bring in a kicker for next year, we're in trouble. And that is a troubling sign if they are unable to.

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan
There is data from Temple that suggests Collins is not the issue. How do you interpret the kicking performance at Temple vs now?

I get what you mean... He is not the direct cause. Agreed. But he's the head coach. It's his issue. The way I interpret the kicking performance at Temple vs now is that at Temple, you had different kickers and, I am assuming here, some different coaches working with those kickers. Our coaching staff has horribly mismanaged our kickers. It's not an issue of not having D1 talent. We're not talking about guys not having the physical ability to hit from 40 yards. We're walking about a room full of guys who can't consistently get the ball up high enough make extra points. Not sure if you've kicked before, but, physically, kicking an XP is not hard at all. This is a mental issue. And it's a mental issue across multiple kickers. The tie that binds those kickers is the coaching staff. And that falls on CGC.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
What amazes me so far in this thread is that no one has yet blamed poor recruiting or the triple option for our kicking troubles :ROFLMAO:.

But seriously, I think it will be sorted out next year. I'm honestly not that worried about this.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Can someone explain why it seems like this staff doesn't want to put a kicker on scholarship? To me I would much rather have a good kicker on scholarship rather than someone down the depth chart on either offense or defense.

Deleted member 2897

Can someone explain why it seems like this staff doesn't want to put a kicker on scholarship? To me I would much rather have a good kicker on scholarship rather than someone down the depth chart on either offense or defense.

Probably gun shy. We had 2 on scholarship last year and neither one could do anything.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Kicking, as in putting or free throws, is very much in the head. It is vitally important that the kicker not be thinking every time he walks on the field, "I may lose my job with this kick". It takes some special handling sometimes depending on kids' personalities to make sure they are able feel a sense of confidence and calm while kicking FG's and PAT's. It is best if you get a "cool hand luke" personality in a kicker, because it is much harder to screw them up mentally, as they are very self assured. I would think when coaches are recruiting kickers, they would look at not only their physical ability, which is REQUIRED, but also their personality and mental make up.

FYI - I am NO cool hand luke. :) My putter grip proves it. :)

Last edited:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This staff put Wells on scholarship. Makes the outcome all the more confusing for those of us not in the know.