Future schedule news

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
:cigar::cigar:
So you are saying this is a good thing?

No doubt ugag will follow this brilliant plan in short order.

If it works, they will. Remember the "welcome to atlanta" sign they had 77 miles away from Atlanta??

And if you don't have faith in the leadership, pay the money to change it or drop and run. But if you criticize leadership and continue to follow said leadership, what does that say about you??

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
And doing this will hurt our chances of catching up to them.

And getting a game on espn is not near the big deal it was 25 years ago. Won't help recruiting one bit and it will hurt our program.
What are yo basing your assumption on that it will hurt the program? Other than the fact that you don’t like it? Is having more eyes on the program a negative? Is playing a prime time game a negative? Is being talked about nationally a negative?

What’s it going to hurt? Maybe attendance by a slight margin? The game wasn’t going to sell out anyway. Maybe there’s just as many fans that go to a Friday night game that wouldn’t go to a noon Saturday game as there are that can’t go to a Friday game. There probably won’t be as many UCF fans there, but they were never going to bring a ton of fans anyway. Recruiting? There’s still 6 other games for recruits to come to. I’d argue it’s just as important to get national media coverage as it is to have recruits on campus for a game. Like I said before, when you’re in a position like Tech is right now, you have to take some risks to get out of the hole you’ve dug. You can’t just keep doing the same thing over and over and expect things to change. That’s the definition of insanity. Hell, some of you guys are acting insane about this game. Relax.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
For those saying this was "sprung" on us....How in the world is an event almost 200 days away (kickoff vs Clemson is 189 days away) being moved forward by 18 hours considered sprung?? I can understand it if it was changed the week of or even the month of. But 200 days!!!???:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

FYI, high schools don't release their football schedules until late summer.

200 days from now people will not be able to say "oh no this was just sprung on us." But today it's a bit of a surprise and it's a change that folks who want to come to the game will have to accommodate. So yes, the surprise was sprung on people today.

On the other hand I'm not objecting to this change so it really doesn't matter to me ;-)

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
You can call BS on Collins intentions when he consulted the HS coaches but I doubt Ken put fake quotes from real people in a published AJC article.

I can absolutely understand the disappointment in this schedule change if it makes it more difficult for people to attend.

Actually, the quotes could be read to mean that the h.s. attendance wont be hurt because it is just as important as the GT game.

Very sad when smart people outsmart themselves.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
What are yo basing your assumption on that it will hurt the program? Other than the fact that you don’t like it? Is having more eyes on the program a negative? Is playing a prime time game a negative? Is being talked about nationally a negative?

What’s it going to hurt? Maybe attendance by a slight margin? The game wasn’t going to sell out anyway. Maybe there’s just as many fans that go to a Friday night game that wouldn’t go to a noon Saturday game as there are that can’t go to a Friday game. There probably won’t be as many UCF fans there, but they were never going to bring a ton of fans anyway. Recruiting? There’s still 6 other games for recruits to come to. I’d argue it’s just as important to get national media coverage as it is to have recruits on campus for a game. Like I said before, when you’re in a position like Tech is right now, you have to take some risks to get out of the hole you’ve dug. You can’t just keep doing the same thing over and over and expect things to change. That’s the definition of insanity. Hell, some of you guys are acting insane about this game. Relax.

One would have to appreciate the importance of h.s. football in Ga for starters.

If you think a Thursday or Friday night game when nobody else is playing is going to lead to magical discussions that elevate GT is, i am sorry, dilusional.

If you think giving up a game day recruiting opportunity isnt2 big - nothing else to say.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Can you imagine if Clemson agreed to play a Friday night game, even on the road??? That would never happen in a million years! Oh wait, it's going to happen on October 2. Who's going to call and tell them they are now a second tier program?

I believe we have already played an away game on a Friday.

Doing it at Home is stupid, and if you think cu is stupid when it comes to football, i believe you are wrong.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck

Exactly the argument used when we first started to appear on TBS thursday night games (yes I am that old). And for awhile we were the most televised Thursday night team. What did that get us? Presently everyone is on tv so the exposure thing is a really not valid. This smacks of ADTS giving his former employers a break.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Wasn’t my intention for anyone on here take my post personal, it’s not attacking any one just a broad statement about the fan base in general. Many other CFB fan bases would have the same mixed reaction, Just always seems like Tech fans go above and beyond.

I understand your point, but disagree. This is a very small percentage of Tech fans. And if you want delusional, hyper reactive fans, try the Tennessee boards. It’s all relative.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
One would have to appreciate the importance of h.s. football in Ga for starters.

If you think a Thursday or Friday night game when nobody else is playing is going to lead to magical discussions that elevate GT is, i am sorry, dilusional.

If you think giving up a game day recruiting opportunity isnt2 big - nothing else to say.
I never said it was going to magically elevate GT. I said you can’t expect anything to change when we keep doing the same thing over and over. I know high school football is important in Georgia, but college football is even more important. Unless you have a kid or relative playing, there shouldn’t be any compelling conflict between attending a Tech game or a high school game.

I also never said losing a game day for recruiting wasn’t a big deal. I did say that it’s just as important to be recognized nationally as it is to have kids get a game day experience. You’re the one acting delusional. If you think nothing positive can come out of playing a prime time game then I don’t know what to tell you. You’re behind the times my friend.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
:cigar::cigar:

If it works, they will. Remember the "welcome to atlanta" sign they had 77 miles away from Atlanta??

And if you don't have faith in the leadership, pay the money to change it or drop and run. But if you criticize leadership and continue to follow said leadership, what does that say about you??

So, i assume you think this will"work", when do you forsee ugag doing this?

And since i have been " paying the money " (often in the form of goods, $, automobiles and services since 1972) and have continued to support every leadership as best as possible, it says i have been stupid for that support.

So i guess i do need to decide whether to drop and run.

Can't say right now if i will buy tix and not give anymore "$" or just contribute money spent on tix to special projects like AI2020.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Exactly the argument used when we first started to appear on TBS thursday night games (yes I am that old). And for awhile we were the most televised Thursday night team. What did that get us? Presently everyone is on tv so the exposure thing is a really not valid. This smacks of ADTS giving his former employers a break.
Lmaooo. That’s what we’re going with now. Get out your tin foil hats. Holy sh*t. There’s no pleasing some of you people. Trading in a noon Saturday game on ACCN for a prime time game on ESPN sure does sound like a positive change to me. Of course there are some cons that come along with it, but at worst they’re a wash compared to the potential gain Tech will get out of this game.
Negatives
  • Loss of gameday atmosphere for recruits
  • Possible attendance drop (marginal at most)
  • Piss of a small portion of fans who were going to be pissed off regardless
  • Interfere with high school games (non issue to me)
  • Listen to a few back handed comments from local fan bases
Positives
  • Prime time game at Bobby Dodd
  • Hundreds of thousands of more TV viewers
  • Nationally televised
  • National talking point
  • Greater opportunity to expose the brand of GT football
You may think exposure isn’t a big deal, but would anybody outside of Tech fans remember the 2015 FSU game if it was a noon game? Would the atmosphere be the same? Doubt it. It would just be a footnote on the season. Just like our wins over UGA that have occurred at noon. Anybody remember Illinois upset over Wisconsin this year? What about USCe over uGA? Those games would absolutely be bigger deals had they been prime time games. I’m not trying to compare those particular games to GT vs UCF. I’m just saying there’s no harm in getting more eyeballs on your program, and should Tech take it to UCF, there’s going to be a lot more people talking about it than they would if it were a noon game.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
If you think nothing positive can come out of playing a prime time game then I don’t know what to tell you. You’re behind the times my friend.
You talk as if a Friday night college game is the equivalent of Monday Night Football. It isn’t. It is way below the exposure of a Saturday night game, and I would venture to say, even below the exposure of a noon Saturday game.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If you think nothing positive can come out of playing a prime time game then I don’t know what to tell you. You’re behind the times my friend.

I’m just having fun with this, but cui bono? Who benefits? It’s television programming. ESPN nor the ACCN could care less what the attendance is. It’s just content.

There’s no magic bullet on national fame or extending the brand. It’s just programming content. It’s the same as if ESPN ran the Sandlot again. Just sell commercials.

I’m not invested either way. Ok, fine. We’re on TV. Is it the Second Coming? No. It’s Gilligan’s Island.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I never said it was going to magically elevate GT. I said you can’t expect anything to change when we keep doing the same thing over and over. I know high school football is important in Georgia, but college football is even more important. Unless you have a kid or relative playing, there shouldn’t be any compelling conflict between attending a Tech game or a high school game.

I also never said losing a game day for recruiting wasn’t a big deal. I did say that it’s just as important to be recognized nationally as it is to have kids get a game day experience. You’re the one acting delusional. If you think nothing positive can come out of playing a prime time game then I don’t know what to tell you. You’re behind the times my friend.

Yeah, right. I am behind the times in thinking that a Thur or Fri night game can in any way compare to College Game Day Saturdays . No matter if 1 or 15 games are televised.

So by your logic we should do what miami did in the George Mira days - play every home game on Friday night.

LibertyTurns

Banned
You talk as if a Friday night college game is the equivalent of Monday Night Football. It isn’t. It is way below the exposure of a Saturday night game, and I would venture to say, even below the exposure of a noon Saturday game.
Thurs NC St- GT had 558k viewers
Fri Wv- Baylor had 1.1M
Fri USC- CO had 773k
Thurs SMU-HOU had 769
Fri Pitt-Cuse had 1.1M
Thurs UCLA-Stan had 445k
Fri UVA-Mia had 1.73M
Thurs Cuse- NC St had 714k

I could go on. Good games get watched.