Future Opponents: Bama and Ga State

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Gives their program oxygen, press coverage, fan support, recruiting attention. All of which we struggle getting already. Legitimizes their program at our expense.

Are we recruiting the same players? We beat them by 3+ touchdowns "Legitimizes" their program? Compared to them beating Tennessee and getting a weeks worth of coverage on ESPN and we lost sooooooooo many recruits to them because of that? We just landed a top 25 class and you say we are struggling for recruiting attention? Raise your hand if you were a GT fan but now will be a ga state fan. What the hell you talking about man?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Gives their program oxygen, press coverage, fan support, recruiting attention. All of which we struggle getting already. Legitimizes their program at our expense.
This is silly. Normally this is a payday for these other schools. We essentially buy a home game. By doing a home-and-home with Ga State, we don't have to pay them to come play us and we don't have to travel. In addition, our fans get to fill "their" stadium.

If you're worried that playing them gives them validity, then you don't have much faith how well our team will be playing at that time. We go out and blow them out and there's no question about who is the valid ATL team. It doesn't give their program oxygen, press coverage, fan support, or recruiting attention any more than they already have. Again, to belly-ache about this is silly.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Except that State collects the money for each ticket sold.

That wasn't my point but you are correct. They still struggle to seat 5k fans for their home games so at least the potential is there to make it feel like a home game if we just buy the cheap second market tickets.

Poodlehead

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah, I don't doubt Bama will probably back out. As for GaSt., I just see that as a no-win situation. A blah opponent that we would be expected to beat fairly easily, but if we somehow pull a Tennessee
we look like idiots. I'd just rather play a more interesting opponent.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Them getting destroyed by P5 opponents at home, while their stadium is taken over by P5 fans does nothing to give their program oxygen. For the other teams scheduling GSU in Atlanta, it’s just an excuse for them to come to Atlanta when they aren’t playing Tech, a la UNC. I’m sure Atlanta is a pretty easy place logistics wise to play at. Fly in directly to the city, take a 20 minutes bus ride to the hotel, 5 minutes from the hotel to the stadium. For UNC, the whole trip from tarmac to hotel room is probably less than 2 hours

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
As others have said......

I prefer to think of it as an AWAY game with almost ZERO cost to the GTAA, no excuses for our fanbase that "doesn't travel well." IOW better than going to Duke or USCeast. And we don't have to pay Directional U to come in to BDS@HGF. But I get the critics' points.

As for the Bammers, that's quite a ways out - Satan will be long dead & gone by 2030. Think of it as a placeholder on a future schedule. We've certainly seen a bunch of these get re-scheduled, modified, and outright CANX'd for a wide variety of reasons. If five or even eight years from now this is still lined up, worry about it then.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
If we are struggling to beat Georgia State in 2024, I’m not going to be mad at Tstan that we scheduled Georgia State. I’m going to be mad that it’s 2024 and we still aren’t good.

Exactly!! All these people complaining about giving GSU a chance at legitimacy or whatever are acting like a loss to them would ruin our potential great season. If we are losing to GSU we are probably going to be a pretty average-to-bad team and losing to GSU won't even be close to our biggest issues if that's the case.

herb

Helluva Engineer
I kind of agree, but it appears that UNC and Vandy have also scheduled home and homes against them. Not quite sure how they are getting power 5 opponents to do this.

Probably because both of them recruit fairly heavily in Georgia and they can use it as a marketing opportunity. Just my guess as to them

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
As others have said......

I prefer to think of it as an AWAY game with almost ZERO cost to the GTAA, no excuses for our fanbase that "doesn't travel well." IOW better than going to Duke or USCeast. And we don't have to pay Directional U to come in to BDS@HGF. But I get the critics' points.

As for the Bammers, that's quite a ways out - Satan will be long dead & gone by 2030. Think of it as a placeholder on a future schedule. We've certainly seen a bunch of these get re-scheduled, modified, and outright CANX'd for a wide variety of reasons. If five or even eight years from now this is still lined up, worry about it then.
Careful muscle spasm. You, Saban, and I are contemporaries!

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Elite football programs don't play in 24,000 seat stadiums. So go from MBS to Ga. State Stadium or whatever they call it. So does this mean were not going to be an elite football program in 6 years?

Alabama played a game at Duke, which isn't much bigger than 24,000. Your point?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Exactly!! All these people complaining about giving GSU a chance at legitimacy or whatever are acting like a loss to them would ruin our potential great season. If we are losing to GSU we are probably going to be a pretty average-to-bad team and losing to GSU won't even be close to our biggest issues if that's the case.
Yes! Just like Tennessee this year. Here’s a question for somebody that wants to try to find it or somehow knows the answer. What’s the best season a team has ever had after losing to a G5 or FCS team? Michigan finished 9-4 after losing to App State, but even with a decent record, losing that game was a sign that the program was not in a good place. That came to fruition in the next few years when they went 13-22 over the next 3 seasons. Tennessee losing to GSU and BYU was considered a kiss of death to their program, but Pruitt seems to have righted the ship and have them moving in the positive direction again. The point, there has never been a great, or even really a good team lose to a G5 team. I think Tech will be in the good category for by 2024, hopefully moving towards the great category. So if GSU beats tech at The Ted or BDS@HGF, the Georgia Tech football program will be in a much worse place than that loss will show.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Elite football programs don't play in 24,000 seat stadiums. So go from MBS to Ga. State Stadium or whatever they call it. So does this mean were not going to be an elite football program in 6 years?
Clemson plays at a 31,500 seat stadium every other year at Wake Forest. Oregon and Washington play at a 32,240 seat stadium at Washington State every other year. Vandy only holds 40k, and Georgia, LSU, Florida, etc. don’t seem to have a problem playing there. I’m not even sure that 24k seat number includes the upper deck, because I’m not sure GSU sells upper deck seats. I’m sure when Tech comes to town (lol) they’ll take the tarps off the upper deck and sell tickets to fans wearing white and gold (and navy) and it’ll had closer to 40k.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Alabama played a game at Duke, which isn't much bigger than 24,000. Your point?
David Cutcliffe may have had some influence in attracting Alabama to Wallace Wade. Cutcliffe's alma mater is Alabama (he did not play football) and he had coaching ties to the SEC. Wallace Wade stadium holds 39,000 fans and it was a game against an ACC team. Duke football has been around for awhile.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
David Cutcliffe may have had some influence in attracting Alabama to Wallace Wade. Cutcliffe's alma mater is Alabama (he did not play football) and he had coaching ties to the SEC. Wallace Wade stadium holds 39,000 fans and it was a game against an ACC team. Duke football has been around for awhile.

So change your statement then to "Elite teams don't play in tiny stadiums unless the head coach has a personal connection and the team has been around awhile." :rolleyes::rolleyes: