FSU wants none of this...

Mack

Helluva Engineer
And it took us how long to find a qb to run this offense.....remember Clemson had a hoss until he got hurt.Will say if you find the qb you need then option is great but this is first year we have had one ....JT is the key.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
When pj took over no one on the team had even ran a little bit of option and pj ran southern just saying :)
Agree with you and have said on several boards that the best coaching job PJ ever did was taking Chans guys and getting them to buy into the option ...yet when asked about if they had known what was in store for them..JD and JN were not big fans of it. You are right my friend yet we did run a option from pro set with the left hander...didnt do it that well but we did it.........course why run it when you had Choice and JD to run off tackle.Good point

Eli

Helluva Engineer
The qb is key in any offense. Look at lsu's offense it's garbage and they recruit top tier qbs every year.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
No Tech fans (or those who watch enough of our games) would characterize the offense in such a manner, correct? I am not sure how to even understand this metaphor. An analogy to piranhas maybe or the easiest (of course) to swarming Yellow Jackets makes some sense as far as trying to say the offense is "relentless" while run by "smaller" players . . . if that is what the author has in mind.

But I am not sure what he has in mind with "chihauhuas" and "teeth marks."

So is the focus supposed to only be "doesn't look like much"? Since chihuahuas and their teeth marks (not even bites or drawing blood) sure wouldn't look like much.

I know, I am overthinking this metaphor but it just stands out as a very ineffective way to attempt to pay an only back-handed compliment anyway.

Mr. Navy told me to not complain about writers referring to the whole Tech offense as a play they run 30% of the time, and I've learned never to cross a sailor.

That said, how many years does Tech have to finish top-20 in explosive plays before they get credit for it?

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
And I really don't see your obsession with willie fritz

IMO the Willie Fritz/Bob Davie version of the spread option is the future of college and possibly pro football. It still gives you the devastating advantage in rushing yards, but the more upright blocking and Pistol or Shotgun snap opens up whole new worlds in the passing game.

But the Flex as designed by CPJ is still a great choice if you have a size/talent disadvantage. Navy could never knock off as many Power 5 teams as they currently do if they ran the Pistol/zone option, because their best hope is to knife through a defense with the quickest-hitting plays they can run.

An under-center Flexbone team with a great defense would be like Oklahoma in the 80s or Nebraska in the 90s. They would almost never lose, but occasionally a well-versed opponent could give them trouble. A Willie Fritz team with dominant players on both sides of the ball might be almost unbeatable.

Last edited: