FSU Post game thread

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
First, that was the best opening win that Tech has had in my memory. Well coached, well played. and I couldn't be happier.

I usually don't write until I see the game stats, but that is another post. Impressions:

Paul used to say, "All I want is three stops." I said that before the game and the D delivered. We won the game in the 3rd quarter when we froze them out. But the D played extremely well after the first drive. (Both Ds seems to be sleep waking in the first two drives.) I think we can now say without fear of contradiction that Santiucci has made a real difference in how the D plays. Our DLs deserve special credit; for most of the game they stood the vaunted FSU OL on their back feet going backwards. It was no surprise that the LBs had such good games after that. Oh, and the pass rush looks like it is using players from another universe. But no. It is the same players (well … with Height, who played very well) with a better coach.

Second, let's join the announcers in praising the OL. We beat them at the LOS and it got worse as the game went on. Those people are downright dangerous. We had 190 yards rushing; the Criminoles had 98. And we ran the ball successfully when it counted. That was because of the guys up front.

Third, Haynes King had an absolutely great game; 200 yards total O, threw the ball accurately under distress, and made several great reads. One of the announcers (who, I noticed, seemed to get more enthusiastic after the Guinness arrived in the booth) pointed out that this was KIng's second year in the system and he seemed to making fewer mistakes. True enough. And he ran the ball extremely well. That makes everything work. One thing: I believe the coaches had the right idea in bringing in Pyron to end the first drive. True, King is a cuter runner, but Pyron has shown that he is deadly within the 5. No need to risk injuring King. But, hey, that's just me.

A shout for Jamal Haynes. He was very effective today and shows good promise of being even more so as the season progresses. Also kudos to Singleton. He showed today why he worked on his strength and size off season.

A final notice for two players who really showed up when it was necessary. First, Tan'j Butler, who may be an reincarnation of Darryl Smith. Second, Chad Alexander, who moves the pile every time he hits it. That young man provided valuable relief for Haynes in crucial situations. He isn't that big, but he sure plays like he was.

Well, maybe more later. When I recover from the last minute.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
CBS’s opinion:

TAKEAWAYS

Florida State: The Seminoles’ defensive line was viewed as one of the ACC’s best but did not record a sack and allowed Tech to run at will.

Georgia Tech: The Yellow Jackets averaged 203 rushing yards per game (13th in the FBS) in 2023 and picked up right where they left off.
All the talking heads touted that Defensive line as the best in the nation. If that holds true, we’re scoring a lot of points this year.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
So it went work call.... Last two minutes of 4th quarter...... Due in next meeting at 3pm...... Tell them I'll be five minutes late....... Waiting until 3:12 when OUR FG K wins the game...... Joins meeting 15 minutes late with no shame......

CBK and Birr are the BMOCs this week.
Man it's good to be the king......

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
CBS’s opinion:

TAKEAWAYS

Florida State: The Seminoles’ defensive line was viewed as one of the ACC’s best but did not record a sack and allowed Tech to run at will.

Georgia Tech: The Yellow Jackets averaged 203 rushing yards per game (13th in the FBS) in 2023 and picked up right where they left off.
Press Conference Kermit GIF

GT fans pointing to the 2023 ~1 sack allowed per game average and returning production

yellajacket20

Jolly Good Fellow
That was a fun game.

First the defense....I think we have something cooking on that side of the ball. Despite missed tackles, I saw folks in position the make the play. We had more open field, one on one tackles than I remember in a long time. Romello Height is going to be drawing double teams soon, but the rest of the DL was living in the backfield on a regular basis. It's important to remember that Santucci was calling our D for the first time. I don't expect to see multiple 4th and longs converted as we go forward.

Offensively....King was efficient and made big plays to convert 1st downs. Jamal runs like he's 220 lbs and I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the Doak Walker running this year. Singleton and Rutherford didn't have huge games, but you can see the game breaking ability. The OL looked great in the run game and did a good job of keeping King clean in the pocket.

I am a lot more excited about the potential for this year based on how the D played. DJ U isn't the best test for the secondary, but I expect much more pressure this year, which should help the DBs immensely.