FSU Bulletin Board Material

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think GT wins against FSU. It usually takes a few games for offenses to really get going, and FSU has major turnover on the offensive side of the ball. DJU is a better QB than he gets credit for, but Norvell's system takes some time for QBs. No way DJU and FSU's offense comes out hot the first game. GT has the offensive advantage because we return one of the best QBs in college football with a year of Faulkner's offense under his belt, along with a Spring and Fall camp. This will be King's national coming out party...book it. It's kind of crazy how little press King is getting considering he's one of the most productive dual threat QBs returning in college football.

IMO, this game will come down to our offense versus FSU's defense. Our defense just needs to give us 2-3 possessions where we keep FSU out of the endzone, and I have confidence out offense has enough firepower against FSU's defense to score more than FSU's defense. FSU will always get high level athletes on both sides of the ball, so I expect them to have talent on defense. Regardless, our offense has enough experience and talent, especially given FSU will be playing with a lot of new faces on defense.

For FSU, it will be an issue of how fast their talent can gel...and I don't think it will happen the first game against us.
I tend to agree with this take. I hate to say that out loud because whenever I’m optimistic, they lay an egg.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I think GT wins against FSU. It usually takes a few games for offenses to really get going, and FSU has major turnover on the offensive side of the ball. DJU is a better QB than he gets credit for, but Norvell's system takes some time for QBs. No way DJU and FSU's offense comes out hot the first game. GT has the offensive advantage because we return one of the best QBs in college football with a year of Faulkner's offense under his belt, along with a Spring and Fall camp. This will be King's national coming out party...book it. It's kind of crazy how little press King is getting considering he's one of the most productive dual threat QBs returning in college football.

IMO, this game will come down to our offense versus FSU's defense. Our defense just needs to give us 2-3 possessions where we keep FSU out of the endzone, and I have confidence out offense has enough firepower against FSU's defense to score more than FSU's defense. FSU will always get high level athletes on both sides of the ball, so I expect them to have talent on defense. Regardless, our offense has enough experience and talent, especially given FSU will be playing with a lot of new faces on defense.

For FSU, it will be an issue of how fast their talent can gel...and I don't think it will happen the first game against us.
Our defense will keep the Seminoles out of the end zone on 75% of their possessions. Their offensive pace will be slower this year causing fewer possessions. FSU's OL is getting the hype by the rating services and magazines. They're not elite by any stretch. GT's defensive front controlling the line of scrimmage is an outcome that no one sees coming.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yup - it actually would be a shock if our defense came out playing excellent football. The defense has been bad for a long time with a few good games here and there but overall consistently bad. New coaches can't hurt but most of the players are the same group. Expecting a huge turnaround seems a bit optimistic. Teams simply ran at will against GT's defense last year. That has to change or we will be needing to score 35+ points per game to actually win games.
I think it will. Two reasons: 1) Santucci: he delivered real improvement at Puke and see no reason why he can't do it at Tech and 2) Lockett: I think he will show as a real force in the middle, as well as a Biggers with more mobility and endurance. I've made both predictions - well, ok, speculations - here recently and I see no reason to back down from them.

Another thing = everybody is concerned about how teams might run on Tech this year. But that misses the point. It isn't how many yards the other side racks up, but whether they score on drives. And the main thing that happened when Santucci was DC at Puke is a dramatic improvement in scoring D. With pretty much the same people, btw. If Tech gets pushed all over the field and reduces points per drive that would be a positive result.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think it will. Two reasons: 1) Santucci: he delivered real improvement at Puke and see no reason why he can't do it at Tech and 2) Lockett: I think he will show as a real force in the middle, as well as a Biggers with more mobility and endurance. I've made both predictions - well, ok, speculations - here recently and I see no reason to back down from them.

Another thing = everybody is concerned about how teams might run on Tech this year. But that misses the point. It isn't how many yards the other side racks up, but whether they score on drives. And the main thing that happened when Santucci was DC at Puke is a dramatic improvement in scoring D. With pretty much the same people, btw. If Tech gets pushed all over the field and reduces points per drive that would be a positive result.
That is clearly the optimistic take. I will believe it when I actually see the defense play competent football. It's been way too many years of consistent bad defense to hope it all works out. FSU's Offensive Line is highly regarded in some publications. Top 5 in Sports Illustrated.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
That is clearly the optimistic take. I will believe it when I actually see the defense play competent football. It's been way too many years of consistent bad defense to hope it all works out. FSU's Offensive Line is highly regarded in some publications. Top 5 in Sports Illustrated.
Agreed. We will need some breaks to win this game. Although I said in the Uncle Lou thread that I like our chances if we can avoid turnovers, I also think our defense will need to force some turnovers to give us that chance. Otherwise, I don't expect us to slow down their offense much.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for the warm welcome! My son is headed to Georgia Tech (freshman) so I’m going all in. 😃
My dad was in a similar spot (zero prior connection to the school, although I'll drop a funny story below) and became a fan very quickly - we always bonded over sports but Georgia Tech football in particular was a special one. Not sure how local to Atlanta you are, but getting to a game at Bobby Dodd is a must do. There's so much history in the stadium and the skyline views are impeccable and unique within FBS - try to make it a night game if you can so you can see the Midtown/Downtown skylines lit up although it can be tricky to predict that given that game times are mostly announced a couple weeks in advance. The State game will be at night and probably great weather.

As for the story, we had a slight connection to Tech well in advance of my admission - my mom taught math and attended a professional conference in downtown Atlanta. My dad loved football but at the time was more casual about the college game (we are from New England) but still had somewhat of an affinity for Georgia Tech probably because of the national championship team in 1990, at-the-time successful George O'Leary teams, and probably mainly Bobby Cremins' basketball teams (who he excitedly got to meet in the Callaway Club a few years ago before a game - talked Bobby's ear off hah). He enlisted my mom to bring home a Georgia Tech sweatshirt from the bookstore, however my mom must have not totally understood the memo because she trekked through downtown Atlanta and brought home a Georgia State sweatshirt :ROFLMAO: . He wore that sweatshirt constantly for well over a decade until it was fully faded and worn in, but we made sure to finally get him his Georgia Tech gear when they dropped me off for the start of Freshman year :)

Last edited:

RamblinMike

Georgia Tech Fan
My dad was in a similar spot (zero prior connection to the school, although I'll drop a funny story below) and became a fan very quickly - we always bonded over sports but Georgia Tech football in particular was a special one. Not sure how local to Atlanta you are, but getting to a game at Bobby Dodd is a must do. There's so much history in the stadium and the skyline views are impeccable and unique within FBS - try to make it a night game if you can so you can see the Midtown/Downtown skylines lit up although it can be tricky to predict that given that game times are mostly announced a couple weeks in advance. The State game will be at night and probably great weather.

As for the story, we had a slight connection to Tech well in advance of my admission - my mom taught math and attended a professional conference in downtown Atlanta. My dad loved football but at the time was more casual about the college game (we are from New England) but still had somewhat of an affinity for Georgia Tech probably because of the national championship team in 1990, at-the-time successful George O'Leary teams, and probably mainly Bobby Cremins' basketball teams (who he excitedly got to meet in the Callaway Club a few years ago before a game - talked Bobby's ear off hah). He enlisted my mom to bring home a Georgia Tech sweatshirt from the bookstore, however my mom must have not totally understood the memo because she trekked through downtown Atlanta and brought home a Georgia State sweatshirt :ROFLMAO: . He wore that sweatshirt constantly for well over a decade until it was fully faded and worn in, but we made sure to finally get him his Georgia Tech gear when they dropped me off for the start of Freshman year :)
Great story! Thanks for sharing! We’re headed over the 31st for the Ga St game. Looking forward to it! I’m hoping for an electric atmosphere and of course a win.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Sweet! I haven’t looked into hoops yet, just getting ramped up on the football roster. I’ve seen the baseball stadium, super nice. 👍
Are you a new fan/student? I see you've got 4 posts here, so let me welcome you. This is the best GT board by FAR (and I've been on and off the various boards for years). Generally, pretty respectful of one another when difficulties arise, and folks get salty. For the most part, pretty chill. Normally good input, too.

Did you go to a Beesball game this spring? Have you been to BDS?

RamblinMike

Georgia Tech Fan
Are you a new fan/student? I see you've got 4 posts here, so let me welcome you. This is the best GT board by FAR (and I've been on and off the various boards for years). Generally, pretty respectful of one another when difficulties arise, and folks get salty. For the most part, pretty chill. Normally good input, too.

Did you go to a Beesball game this spring? Have you been to BDS?
I’m a parent of a freshman student…yeah I’m new to GT and this forum. I was on campus for FASET orientation last month and got some good looks at the stadium construction. Gonna be nice.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I’m a parent of a freshman student…yeah I’m new to GT and this forum. I was on campus for FASET orientation last month and got some good looks at the stadium construction. Gonna be nice.
Great to have you, Mike. I did FASET… many, many moons ago. Ha! Tell your son that the key to GA Tech is plain old perseverance. Just hang in and keep on keeping on. He’ll be glad he did. As a dad, don’t worry a bad grade or three.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Awesome. I’m an alum and parent of a rising junior at GT. Welcome!!! Night games with the city skyline in the background are pretty awesome.

Along with perseverance I think my kid would add time management and organization as keys to her success thus far.

RamblinMike

Georgia Tech Fan
Great to have you, Mike. I did FASET… many, many moons ago. Ha! Tell your son that the key to GA Tech is plain old perseverance. Just hang in and keep on keeping on. He’ll be glad he did. As a dad, don’t worry a bad grade or three.
Thanks for the encouragement, I’ll pass that along. He’s in summer classes now, it’s really tough and kicking his hiney. He gets discouraged sometimes but he’s hanging in there. It’s definitely not high school!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Great advice about perseverance. When I sruggled at GT we were on quarter system and competing against fellow students. I understand things have changed. I struggled through 7 summer quarters, 4 fall quarters, and one spring quarter. The summer quarters cost me at least one whole grade as the student competion was loaded with more adult students, co-ops, and some military. Some tough classes are coming so dig in for the long ride with that perseverance. It will pay off.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Great advice about perseverance. When I sruggled at GT we were on quarter system and competing against fellow students. I understand things have changed. I struggled through 7 summer quarters, 4 fall quarters, and one spring quarter. The summer quarters cost me at least one whole grade as the student competion was loaded with more adult students, co-ops, and some military. Some tough classes are coming so dig in for the long ride with that perseverance. It will pay off.
I could have written this post. :)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I found learning the concepts and how to apply basic math principles worked for me. Trying to memorize your way through Tech works at first but it catches up to you as you progress. The rule of thumb used to be 2 hours study for every hour in the classroom. I needed more than that. Forming friendships with students in your major helps when struggling with some new concepts and difficult problems. They can help by working together through problems and also help create a disciplined study schedule. Don't waste time. Use an hour or two between classes to study rather than play cards or watch TV. GT can be tough but it's not impossible.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If the members need any more reason to be fired up about the opener in Ireland, I suggest you listen to the Locked on Florida State Football podcast from two days ago. The title was, " Will FSU run over GT." For a team that has to replace Jordan Travis and mostly all of its offensive playmakers from last year- the moderator sounds pretty confident about FSU's offense this year. He spends much of the podcast trashing our DL and how bad we were last year. Interestingly, the more objective FSU media analysts say that last years FSU run game was not consistent. It was an occasional 75 yard run by Trey Benson ( who is gone) or a run game that sputtered. The guy was pretty cocky with an obnoxious tone. He also took shots at Coach Santucci saying he was inexperienced and implied that he wouldn't have Tech ready. Of course, I believe most of the FSU media and their more objective fans have question marks with every aspect of the FSU offense except their RB room. I am really confident our interior guys can gum things up. And figuring out how to defend DJ is sure a lot easier than defending Jordan Travis, Keon Coleman and Johnny Wilson. Coach Santucci will have our guys ready. All I can say to this guy is get ready for a lot of third and six scenarios.
There is always plenty of talent at FSU. The difference is not having Jordan Travis. That guy had that rare ability to get his teammates to follow him no matter what. A very special player that will be difficult if not impossible to replace. They lost a lot of talent but the writer's arrogance concerning the Tech defense is probably not all that far fetched given what happened in a lot of games last year. Some teams did just run over us. We will see if the defense is any better this year. I am skeptical but willing to be persuaded.