from Fan Sided "what UNC needs to do to beat GT" good article

jackette

Jolly Good Fellow
It took the Tar Heels home field advantage, a four-quarter rally and all but 11 seconds on the clock to beat Georgia Tech last season. The victory was a major win for Chapel Hill and snapped their four-game losing streak, helping turn the season around for UNC. It was a gut-check win for the boys in Carolina blue last season, and 2015 doesn’t look to be any different. Let’s look at some key factors the Tar Heels must pay attention to in order to dig deep and beat the GT Yellow Jackets in Atlanta.

Key #1: Contain their superstar QB Justin Thomas

Thomas finished 2014 with 26 total touchdowns—18 through the air, 8 with his feet. Besides throwing 96 completions for 1719 yards, this quarterback led the team in carries and rushing yards with 1086 yards obtained from 190 carries.

I’ll give you some time to process these stats.

Oh, also, that was this guy’s sophomore season. He put up those stats as an underclassman. Let that sink in.

If UNC is to leave ATL with a win, they absolutely must prepare for both Thomas’ passing and running ability. This means it’s Chapel Hill must put Justin Thomas on the ground early in the game. He’s too quick, too wily and too accurate to let him enter the second half with a boatload of confidence. By UNC’s defense laying the wood to Georgia Tech’s QB, it makes him think twice about sprinting out of the pocket for big yards and a debilitating first down.

Thomas is not a big guy. He only stands 5’11 190 and a running quarterback doesn’t throw as accurately if he’s continuously smacked around by a bunch of linebackers. It’s essential UNC make it their mission to blitz consistently, make open tackles and get Justin’s jersey dirty. The only way he doesn’t eat up yards is if Chapel Hill makes him hesitant and, preferably, a pocket-passer.

Here’s what he can do if UNC doesn’t:

Key #2: Realize Just How Good GT Is As A Team

The Yellowjackets have not been known as a football powerhouse in the last two decades, but Tech is determined to change this going forward. They are for real and UNC must treat them as such. Just to emphasize this point, here are some stats from last season.

In 2014, Georgia Tech was:

• Second in the nation in rush yards per game.
  • Lost by only 2 to 2013 National Champion and 2014 Preseason #1 FSU.
  • Finished the season with three victories out of their final four games, all of whom were top-15 ranked opponents.
  • Demolished SEC’s Mississippi State 49-34 in the Orange Bowl. The Bulldogs, who spent five consecutive weeks as the top-ranked team in the land in both the AP and Coach’s poll, were ranked 7th.
  • Were ACC Coastal Division Champions
Georgia Tech is really talented, and the Tar Heels can’t afford to take the Yellow Jackets lightly.

Be prepared for a battle when these two teams meet in Georgia this Fall. Hopefully the Heels are able to steal a win and put themselves on track towards an ACC Coastal Division title.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They like everyone will blitz much more often.
If we beat the blitz but only make 10-20 they will blitz more.
I am sure coach has some ideas ready.

Buzz4Him

Georgia Tech Fan
It's good to see the tone of opposing teams writers changing with regards to GT. in three months a lot will be decided as to just how much we have turned the corner. There is little doubt it has been turned thougj

jackette

Jolly Good Fellow
They like everyone will blitz much more often.
If we beat the blitz but only make 10-20 they will blitz more.
I am sure coach has some ideas ready.

anytime an article says look out for JT, love reading about it............ the other day on Clemson radio (Greenville) one co host asking the other who did he fear the most (player) in the ACC this coming season and the answer was also Justin Thomas.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If I were the opposing team, I'd hit JT every chance I got too. Even worth a few personal fouls early in the game. But I think it affect passing QBs more than option QBs. Expect that this year from VT, FSU, Clemson & Fluke especially.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
He’s too quick, too wily and too accurate to let him enter the second half with a boatload of confidence. By UNC’s defense laying the wood to Georgia Tech’s QB, it makes him think twice about sprinting out of the pocket for big yards and a debilitating first down.

Thomas ... doesn’t throw as accurately if he’s continuously smacked around by a bunch of linebackers. It’s essential UNC make it their mission to blitz consistently, make open tackles and get Justin’s jersey dirty. The only way he doesn’t eat up yards is if Chapel Hill makes him hesitant and, preferably, a pocket-passer.

As if GT remotely resembles a pocket passing offense. How often does the above scenario happen, really? Not much. It assumes that the linebackers haven't bitten on the BB dive. Or that JeT doesn't pitched the ball. Big assumptions.

Most of these types of opinion pieces do not address all the wrinkles that is in GT's standard attack. GT's offense can mitigate the blitz. I wonder how long until we start hearing that just playing disciplined assignment defense can beat GT's offense again? It is proven that it takes special defensive players to do that. Very special.

The only question in this game is whether or not the GT D will be improved enough to get a few stops out of Williams and that explosive UNC offense.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
anytime an article says look out for JT, love reading about it............ the other day on Clemson radio (Greenville) one co host asking the other who did he fear the most (player) in the ACC this coming season and the answer was also Justin Thomas.
Wccp. They talk more tech football than anything in ATL.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If I were the opposing team, I'd hit JT every chance I got too. Even worth a few personal fouls early in the game. But I think it affect passing QBs more than option QBs. Expect that this year from VT, FSU, Clemson & Fluke especially.
Well, first they have to get the duck and Thomas has been pretty much ungettable. When he was got, most of the times though not always he managed to fold himself up neatly before he could be body slammed. I see frustration waiting for teams that try this approach, as Georgia was urged to do in the second half. But it's another indication that Tech is the minds of the ACC these days, so keep 'em talking.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
It always cracks me up to see UNC talking about taking GT "seriously" in football... they are among the most certain conference "W's" on the schedule every year...
Would put this on par with someone here saying "we better take UNC hoops seriously this year"... just nutty stuff, gotta say I'm laughing pretty darn hard at their cheating rear ends.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
It took the Tar Heels home field advantage, a four-quarter rally and all but 11 seconds on the clock to beat Georgia Tech last season. The victory was a major win for Chapel Hill and snapped their four-game losing streak, helping turn the season around for UNC. It was a gut-check win for the boys in Carolina blue last season, and 2015 doesn’t look to be any different. Let’s look at some key factors the Tar Heels must pay attention to in order to dig deep and beat the GT Yellow Jackets in Atlanta.

Key #1: Contain their superstar QB Justin Thomas

Thomas finished 2014 with 26 total touchdowns—18 through the air, 8 with his feet. Besides throwing 96 completions for 1719 yards, this quarterback led the team in carries and rushing yards with 1086 yards obtained from 190 carries.

I’ll give you some time to process these stats.

Oh, also, that was this guy’s sophomore season. He put up those stats as an underclassman. Let that sink in.

If UNC is to leave ATL with a win, they absolutely must prepare for both Thomas’ passing and running ability. This means it’s Chapel Hill must put Justin Thomas on the ground early in the game. He’s too quick, too wily and too accurate to let him enter the second half with a boatload of confidence. By UNC’s defense laying the wood to Georgia Tech’s QB, it makes him think twice about sprinting out of the pocket for big yards and a debilitating first down.

Thomas is not a big guy. He only stands 5’11 190 and a running quarterback doesn’t throw as accurately if he’s continuously smacked around by a bunch of linebackers. It’s essential UNC make it their mission to blitz consistently, make open tackles and get Justin’s jersey dirty. The only way he doesn’t eat up yards is if Chapel Hill makes him hesitant and, preferably, a pocket-passer.

Here’s what he can do if UNC doesn’t:

Key #2: Realize Just How Good GT Is As A Team

The Yellowjackets have not been known as a football powerhouse in the last two decades, but Tech is determined to change this going forward. They are for real and UNC must treat them as such. Just to emphasize this point, here are some stats from last season.

In 2014, Georgia Tech was:

• Second in the nation in rush yards per game.
  • Lost by only 2 to 2013 National Champion and 2014 Preseason #1 FSU.
  • Finished the season with three victories out of their final four games, all of whom were top-15 ranked opponents.
  • Demolished SEC’s Mississippi State 49-34 in the Orange Bowl. The Bulldogs, who spent five consecutive weeks as the top-ranked team in the land in both the AP and Coach’s poll, were ranked 7th.
  • Were ACC Coastal Division Champions
Georgia Tech is really talented, and the Tar Heels can’t afford to take the Yellow Jackets lightly.

Be prepared for a battle when these two teams meet in Georgia this Fall. Hopefully the Heels are able to steal a win and put themselves on track towards an ACC Coastal Division title.

I hope they try to blitz consistently. Rocket toss all day lol, you can't stop this offense.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Can't overlook anybody. I'm not laughing at them. I guarantee you, I will be nervous right before kickoff in that game.
I'll be nervous when we play Alcorn remember the MTSU game a few years back? Until I see a huge improvement, our Defense can keep us out of a game.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The author makes many good points. But let's see what luck they have executing them.

In his first paragraph, he talks about the win turning UNC's season around. the thing is, the loss had a lot to do with turning our season around too. It was after that game, IIRC, that PJ told Ted Roof something like. "Look, what we are doing now in pass defense ain't working. We simply have to get some pressure. I don't care how many you have to send, get some pressure. I won't second guess you if you get beat deep. We're getting beat with what we're doing now, so it ain't like it could get any worse."