from Fan Sided "what UNC needs to do to beat GT" good article

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Can't overlook anybody. I'm not laughing at them. I guarantee you, I will be nervous right before kickoff in that game.
No, we can't. UNC, while not quite that dominant, is the still the prime attraction for NC football players. Every year it gets great HS players from the state and the NE, and every year it seems to not quite live up to its recruiting. Since Fedora it has been plagued by the same disease as Johnson, an inability to field a defense that nobody can explain. But I sense the apprehension around the ACC at about the same level as the excitement of the Tech fan base. Life is grand. Alcorn up next.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
This means it’s Chapel Hill must put Justin Thomas on the ground early in the game. He’s too quick, too wily and too accurate to let him enter the second half with a boatload of confidence. By UNC’s defense laying the wood to Georgia Tech’s QB, it makes him think twice about sprinting out of the pocket for big yards and a debilitating first down.

Change the name to Deshaun Watson, and you have blueprint on how to beat Clemson.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A very simplistic view. Just stop Justin Thomas. The best thing he does is distribute the football to the best offensive weapon. Sometimes it's himself, many times it's not.
Yes. And that business about "thinking twice before sprinting out of the pocket" really kind of wrecks an otherwise readable preview. (Meaning it takes GT seriously, though why a team that is 2-5 against Johnson would do otherwise baffles everybody.) The writer is citing commonplace football lore that if one is hit hard often enough, he chickens out. Just worded differently. Some do, most don't. Thomas won't. If they think it will work, see the FSU game when on several plays he was batted around like badminton bird, and got up. There's no quit in the kid. He will run the offense and do what it calls for.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This means it’s Chapel Hill must put Justin Thomas on the ground early in the game. He’s too quick, too wily and too accurate to let him enter the second half with a boatload of confidence. By UNC’s defense laying the wood to Georgia Tech’s QB, it makes him think twice about sprinting out of the pocket for big yards and a debilitating first down.

Change the name to Deshaun Watson, and you have blueprint on how to beat Clemson.
Well, maybe. But remember he came back to beat SC, playing with a brace, after his knee injury at GT, and then got surgery after the season. Dunno how smart that was, but it was gutsy because he knew that knee was a SC target on every play.

They like everyone will blitz much more often.
If we beat the blitz but only make 10-20 they will blitz more.
I am sure coach has some ideas ready.
Can't blitz this offense. It is already geared to put defenders out of position and create numbers-up situations. Blitz and you put an additional player out of position. I dare say CPJ would love for defenses to blitz.

It always cracks me up to see UNC talking about taking GT "seriously" in football... they are among the most certain conference "W's" on the schedule every year...
Would put this on par with someone here saying "we better take UNC hoops seriously this year"... just nutty stuff, gotta say I'm laughing pretty darn hard at their cheating rear ends.
You need to remember that UNC fans know very little other than the African-American courses they took.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Not bad-its true.Most will try to stop JT first.The bback nor a backs will be as explosive-esp early.UNC is a dangerous team.If a team can control the ball they are a threat to us.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes. And that business about "thinking twice before sprinting out of the pocket" really kind of wrecks an otherwise readable preview. (Meaning it takes GT seriously, though why a team that is 2-5 against Johnson would do otherwise baffles everybody.) The writer is citing commonplace football lore that if one is hit hard often enough, he chickens out. Just worded differently. Some do, most don't. Thomas won't. If they think it will work, see the FSU game when on several plays he was batted around like badminton bird, and got up. There's no quit in the kid. He will run the offense and do what it calls for.
I agree. That logic is weird. Isn't leaving the pocket early the natural survival instinct for a QB who has been hit a bit? Stepping up into the pocket is what is frightening, not leaving it.

They will not be pinning their ears back against JT in the hopes of flushing him out of the pocket. That is baaaaadd advice. Containment will be their priority, I'm sure.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree. That logic is weird. Isn't leaving the pocket early the natural survival instinct for a QB who has been hit a bit? Stepping up into the pocket is what is frightening, not leaving it.

They will not be pinning their ears back against JT in the hopes of flushing him out of the pocket. That is baaaaadd advice. Containment will be their priority, I'm sure.
Agree! Any blitzing will be on the edge to cutoff the keep or pitch.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
It always cracks me up to see UNC talking about taking GT "seriously" in football... they are among the most certain conference "W's" on the schedule every year...
Would put this on par with someone here saying "we better take UNC hoops seriously this year"... just nutty stuff, gotta say I'm laughing pretty darn hard at their cheating rear ends.
Seriously! That's the most absurd part, UNC has been at best a step or two behind us as a football program over the last 30 or so years (I think the Mack Brown years are the only time they've ever been better). What a delusional fan base.