Friends, let's talk about our Football Coach

hdgtfan

Georgia Tech Fan
Here's a scenario GT fans haven't brought up: What if CPJ gets courted by other programs? Programs will take notice of what CPJ is doing with this team, and let's face it, CPJ could be tired of dealing with the GT's "quirks" that he wouldn't have to deal with at other places. I've gotta believe if GT/Bobinski doesn't step up at the end of the year, CPJ would be receptive to looking into other opportunities.

Not at all worried about that, no major program would seriously consider him IMO, the system helps us due to inability to get major recruits, major programs do not have that limitation on getting the big recruits

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
Not at all worried about that, no major program would seriously consider him IMO, the system helps us due to inability to get major recruits, major programs do not have that limitation on getting the big recruits
Suppose Nebraska fired Pelini and came to Paul Johnson with a dumptruck of money. Do you think Nebraska's fanbase has any stigma of option football next to their trophy case, sold out stadium, and shrines to Tommie Frazier and Eric Crouch?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well I happily eat a ton of crow. I wanted CPJ gone last year but this team just won 9 games. I may not be a complete fan of his O but results are results and just win baby.

The win over Clemson has sealed his extension.
ATL, I hope you realize how much respect I have for you, and HAVE HAD for you. To be truthful, I don't even think now is the right time to talk about CPJ's future, either way. However, just the fact that you are able and willing to change your stance on this issue, publicly, given the recent results speaks volumes. Stylistically, we can all have our preferences, but as you say results are results. CPJ is graduating his players and he is winning. His down years have been .500 seasons and his up years worthy of major bowls.

You are different from most of the guys who just blindly complain. I appreciate that very much.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
ATL, I hope you realize how much respect I have for you, and HAVE HAD for you. To be truthful, I don't even think now is the right time to talk about CPJ's future, either way. However, just the fact that you are able and willing to change your stance on this issue, publicly, given the recent results speaks volumes. Stylistically, we can all have our preferences, but as you say results are results. CPJ is graduating his players and he is winning. His down years have been .500 seasons and his up years worthy of major bowls.

You are different from most of the guys who just blindly complain. I appreciate that very much.
I think @ATL1 has always stated that he wanted more passing on our offense. He hasn't been overly negative towards an option-based offense, but would rather us be out of a shot-gun, which allows for more passing. Not to put too many words in his mouth, but I always got the impression he wanted a sexier version of what CPJ does, with more passing, to attract higher level talent.

Personally, I think what we're doing this year, and what we'll be able to accomplish in the next couple of years will go light years towards showing perspective option QB's what we do when the fit is correct. I anticipate that we'll pass more as we need to and are able to.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Major programs get the "big recruits" because their bagmen buy them and they do not have to go to class or be real students at all.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Suppose Nebraska fired Pelini and came to Paul Johnson with a dumptruck of money. Do you think Nebraska's fanbase has any stigma of option football next to their trophy case, sold out stadium, and shrines to Tommie Frazier and Eric Crouch?
CPJ left Navy for Ga.Tech. I have no idea if many schools were courting him, but I don't think there were many schools, to which he would have gone; Rice maybe, Stanford maybe. I think he takes pride in the type of major football program and student athlete program we have. He has gotten more freedom in recruiting because of his record in graduating our players. I am proud of our school because of this and believe this team is a reflection of what integrity and team work can achieve. CPJ came here because he thought he could win a national championship with his system and this year, plus the up tick in committed recruits, seem to be pointing upward to reaching that goal. CPJ is a good fit for our school and I hope he stays around. I know he will get us to the big football dance and hopefully to his goal of a national championship.

Atlanta and area is home for him and his family. To go to Nebraska where they think the "N" on their hill stands for "NOWLEDGE" and put up with the cold winters while being in the middle of nowhere, would take a lot of bucks, I think, to get him to go. As long as he is comfortable with the support and direction the program is headed here in Atlanta, I think it will take a lot more than money to get him to go else where.

BTW we are going to beat the Dawgs in two weeks. This is a special year and I think we will see it Thursday night when UNC knocks off the Dukies.
THWG
Go Jackets Sting the Mutts!!!!

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Btw, please no more "Paul Hewitt" contracts. after the reg season plus ACC championship if Tech gets to play that and before the bowl game is a good time for Bobinski to sit down and go over the finances, maybe pass the hat some informally and then do a review and offer CPJ an extension or some sort of renegotiation. Maybe find a way to reward his assistants and such. It would be in plenty of time for the coming signing day.

But there is reasonable middle ground between keeping him "at all costs" and treating him like he is still on a "hot seat." I can't handle anymore really stupid rollover contracts.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think @ATL1 has always stated that he wanted more passing on our offense. He hasn't been overly negative towards an option-based offense, but would rather us be out of a shot-gun, which allows for more passing. Not to put too many words in his mouth, but I always got the impression he wanted a sexier version of what CPJ does, with more passing, to attract higher level talent.

Personally, I think what we're doing this year, and what we'll be able to accomplish in the next couple of years will go light years towards showing perspective option QB's what we do when the fit is correct. I anticipate that we'll pass more as we need to and are able to.

I would concur with that. Exactly.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I guess in some ways being a long time ( 40+ years ) alum and fan gives me a little perspective. Those of us " oldtimers " have been through a lot with our team.....Pepper Rodgers, Bud Carson, Bill Lewis , Bill Curry , as well as the more recent ones. We know college football has changed, not always necessarily for the better. For the " big " programs it's become a business to generate revenue . In many instances they " employ " athlete/students to hopefully get the results they have chosen to strive for. I like our situation so much more. I have no doubt our players are student/athletes. They have the tremendous opportunity to get a world class education if they take advantage of it. Some players we have recruited
( Myles Autry comes to mind ) , probably realized this was not the right situation for them academically. That's okay, I wish him nothing but the best wherever he goes, but Tech is not a good fit for him. Coach Johnson is now getting the type of student/ athlete he wants. A guy who takes care of his schoolwork and buys into the system. I think he is the happiest he has been since he got here. Will we be outgunned in many games ? You bet we will. In two weeks , if the stars align just right , we just might pull off a huge upset. But you know what ? Even if we don't, I will be proud of this team and everything they will have accomplished athletically and also in the classroom. I will still be damn proud to be a YELLOW JACKET and will not want to be a UGA fan, no matter how many times in a row they beat us.
Nicely said!

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
My good friends, at least for the next contract cycle, this debate is over.
We couldn't dream of getting more results from our players than this staff gives us... AND they represent with heart, desire, and integrity.
Toss in recent momentum in recruiting... and a little extra support from Admin...
Please get the extension deal completed as soon as practically possible.
Could NOT be prouder of and for our team!!