Friends, let's talk about our Football Coach

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I do think it would be a pretty cool idea to give a certain allotment of tickets, maybe even student tickets if they're available, to Emory or other local schools without D1 football.

If the GTAA knows whats good for them they have one intern or staffer assigned to read all the Tech message boards and provide a bulletins point review on the "pulse" of at least that portion of the fan base crazy enough or with enough free time to participate on these sites.

So maybe they already read my ideas.

But if you want to pm me the email address you used then I can copy and paste and send one over to the GTAA later on today.
Will do. Give me a minute to look it up

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I do think it would be a pretty cool idea to give a certain allotment of tickets, maybe even student tickets if they're available, to Emory or other local schools without D1 football.
Heck, unless fall break and midterms are the same week as Emory you may end up with more kids in the student sections on the weekends when Tech students have traveled home than you currently get. Same for games against the smaller schools on the schedule.

Maybe a Tech student doesn't want to bother attending the game against Wofford because they really just care about the more exciting games against Miami or Clemson. But offer those empty student section seats to other area colleges students and they may get filled better and that game-day experience for a 18 year old Emory student from New Jersey to see Tech vs. Wofford is already going to be the best non-professional football atmosphere and experience they have likely ever had.

I would especially like to see the Tech Greek houses take some initiative and try and get their confreres from area schools without D1 (or in Emory's case any) Saturday football to come on over to midtown to join in the festivities.

Heck, unless fall break and midterms are the same week as Emory you may end up with more kids in the student sections on the weekends when Tech students have traveled home than you currently get. Same for games against the smaller schools on the schedule.

Maybe a Tech student doesn't want to bother attending the game against Wofford because they really just care about the more exciting games against Miami or Clemson. But offer those empty student section seats to other area colleges students and they may get filled better and that game-day experience for a 18 year old Emory student from New Jersey to see Tech vs. Wofford is already going to be the best non-professional football atmosphere and experience they have likely ever had.

I would especially like to see the Tech Greek houses take some initiative and try and get their confreres from area schools without D1 (or in Emory's case any) Saturday football to come on over to midtown to join in the festivities.
Just PM'd you the info

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
My point is that it is much harder for an opponent to prepare for GT's offense when they have to defend more than a triple option. I am not saying overhaul the offense, but put in some formations that include a 3 or 4 receiver set. UGA had to call a timeout last year when we came out in a 3 receiver bunch set last year and after the timeout, we still completed the pass. Very seldom do we have a receiver that goes over the middle.
We are much better when we focus a few things and do them well instead of trying to do a lot of thing ok. Also we have formations with 4 receivers in the game 2 ab and two wr. You put more wide receivers in the game you make them respect the possibility of the run less. Some times the more you try to do in the worse the overall you are.

worthco jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
First, I have never been against Coach Johnson. I wasn't against his hiring and I've never been against him being our coach... but something has changed for me this year.

I now find myself pro-actively pulling for our Coach and having that feeling of "ownership" and "pride" in Paul Johnson as our coach and the leader of our football program. Right or wrong, this has just recently occurred for me.

As I said, I've never been against him, it has been mostly indifference...now that has changed.

Folks have been saying all along that we should give him time to fully implement his system and put his stamp on the entire program. Well he has been given the time and has, in fact, made his mark..... And I like it..... He has demonstrated to me his commitment to Tech and has demonstrated his competence in leading our program to a higher level.

I want a 5th NC and I believe he can and will take us there... I sincerely believe that.

Don't know what changed... I've never met the man except at an away game when he stopped in the hotel lobby for a quick picture with my daughter, but now I feel like I understand him more...and it's good.

Maybe because he's been a little more open with the media, allowing us to "know" him more.... maybe it's the way our Players conduct themselves, and in my professional experience I know that a team will always, on the whole, reflect their leader of their organization..... Maybe it's because after every game I never feel like my team got out coached, even if at times, out manned in a particular game.... Maybe it's my observation of his willingness to address areas of weakness decisively.....Maybe it's because during any game I find myself hopeful, because my coach just might outsmart the other coach during the game, even if we "may" be out manned that particular day.

All in all, I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I now find myself a "fan" and supporter of Coach Johnson and trust him fully to lead our football program to it's highest potential.

I hope he is our Coach for as long as he is motivated and committed to us....

These are words and thoughts regarding Coach and our program.... I am not a big time money guy for the program, but I am a steady giver... I am going to increase my level of giving a bit to back up my words as well.

Has anyone else had similar thoughts? Or perhaps thoughts in a different direction?

worthco jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
He is so good at responding to what a defense does it is ridiculous. Others more knowledgeable feel free to correct me but it seems Tech can scheme its way around on offense with somewhat limited talent with this caveat: We have to have legit 4 or 5 stars at one of the wide receivers and at B back and at least one on the offensive line. Come to think of it, JT was a 4 star out of high school so it would not hurt to have one at quarterback. Defense is another story. We pretty much have to recruit better. I think that schemes can only go so far on defense. You pretty much have to have horses at each level. Until we get that championships are going to be a matter of luck and scheduling. Think about what separates the elite teams from everyone else: hint (it is not offensive creativity) It is shut down defenses. Some do not remember but our 1990 national champions had great players at each level. Ken Swilling basically took away the entire middle of the field and "Big Play" Willie Clay was a great corner. Sure it was an exciting offense but defense won that championship for us.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If the GTAA knows whats good for them they have one intern or staffer assigned to read all the Tech message boards and provide a bulletins point review on the "pulse" of at least that portion of the fan base crazy enough or with enough free time to participate on these sites.

So maybe they already read my ideas.

But if you want to pm me the email address you used then I can copy and paste and send one over to the GTAA later on today.

I know at least 1 staffer reads the forums. That does not guarantee that they'll see every thread and every post, so it's still a good idea to email your ideas. From what I understand fan feedback is the main reason for things like the Buzz Memories program, Tailgate Guys, more replays on the big screen, more scores from other games on the big screen, etc.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I know at least 1 staffer reads the forums. That does not guarantee that they'll see every thread and every post, so it's still a good idea to email your ideas. From what I understand fan feedback is the main reason for things like the Buzz Memories program, Tailgate Guys, more replays on the big screen, more scores from other games on the big screen, etc.
Thanks. I went ahead and emailed my thoughts on using academic prowess to appeal to targeted groups for possible "sidewalk" support and MBob actually sent a substantive reply ten minutes later. So all is well that ends well.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
It feels like we're building some continuity in the program... feels right to me.
Assuming we continue to ramp up our recruiting to a place where we have a top 30-35 defense we can win... this offense is legitimate... at ANY level.

Regardless of the outcome of Clemson and Georgia, our program has momentum and is on the rise. Period.

Yes, even if we lose to Clem and Ga... This team has already exceeded my best hopes for this particular season.. my optimism rests in the next 2-4 years... this year I just wanted to extend bowl streak and let JT learn... Excellent job by the coaching staff and our QB.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
At this point I can't even imagine not doing whatever is required to retain our coaching staff for at least the next 3-4 years... Honestly, it would be a most foolish move for us to play coy with our current staff regarding their future. Not only would we put our current continuity and momentum at severe risk, any move at head coach would require a significant re-tooling of the offense and personnel.... an exceptionally risky (and foolish) move for our program.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
...and let me go ahead and say.. the results of our next two games will have ZERO impact on my feelings about my thoughts above... given our D-line challenges this year, and the fact that we are now getting additional admin support for recruiting, we are ALREADY in bonus territory for this season... if we were to lose the next two games, this season is a major success. My eyes are affixed firmly to the future... we have the best opportunity we've had in many years.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm very pleased with our team and coaches this year. Having said that...a loss to the ball lickers will really disappoint. They are a pretty good team too tho. Clemson too.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
As a sidewalk fan, I would say you are painting with too broad a brush. A lot of the sidewalk fans I know fall on the far side of the argument. If anything, they probably think GT's academics are TOO difficult. For myself, I went to the US Coast Guard Academy, so I am fully aware of how difficult an academically rigorous school can be, but I am not the exception. Even growing up, I was awed by the academic rigor of GT. Most of us are fully aware of the academic limitations that GT places on itself, and THAT'S EXACTLY WHY WE LOVE THE TEAM. We root for GT BECAUSE GT refuses to become a factory. We root for GT BECAUSE GT insists on their student athletes being STUDENTS above all else. I, for one, would be greatly disappointed and shamed if ever GT abased itself the way UNC has done recently.

If nothing else, I think sometimes the GT alumni too easily dismiss the actual intelligence of the sidewalk fans. We're not all college dropouts who couldn't get into GT.

I am not saying that this is what you intended, but it's the way it comes across frequently from GT alums.

YES!!! I've been a sidewalk fan for 53 years and am a season ticket holder. I am a fan because I see Georgia Tech as a Noble Institution that does the right things for the right reasons!

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Big time win today playing big boy football.... Don't let ANYBODY try to downgrade this effort today with any kind of "well our QB got hurt" BS.

Clemson is loaded with 4-5 star talent top to bottom.... they got out coached by our staff and out played by our players. Period.

Dominating performance by the defense... whatever direction Coach Johnson gave after the UNC game, it was spot on.... rarely have I seen a team get so much out of a group that was greatly depleted in the off-season.

Thank you all coaches and players for the way you represented us today and all season, including the two loses!!

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
It's extension time baby.
Yes Whiskey, we have to... He has now clearly demonstrated that his offensive system "can" win at any level. He has also ramped up recruiting. He has earned the opportunity to finish the job.

We will have more disappointing days I'm sure, but I'll take my chances with our Coach... I believe with a few top 20 classes in a row we can win #5.

Sign him up.