Freshmen Arrive

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
What year(s) we're y'all in Towers?
I was there -
Freshman in '81, RA 82-84, Asst Hall Director 84/85.
Played on the GT Flag Football Champion team too. :)

Remember the B.A. 500?

I was in Harrison 79-80, 80-81, then moved to one of the nicest rooms on campus on the top floor of Brown-Harris.

I played for Harrison, the Flag Fball dorm champ in '80 or '81, iirc.

Nice memories

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Smith 88-89
Matheson 89-90
Perry 90-91

I roomed with a GT football player in Matheson and my hall in Perry had several football players. The year in Perry was during that wonderful National Championship season. I thought GT football was going to be that way forever. Oh to be that young (and naive) again.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
What year(s) we're y'all in Towers?
I was there -
Freshman in '81, RA 82-84, Asst Hall Director 84/85.
Played on the GT Flag Football Champion team too. :)

Remember the B.A. 500?
I was there for a couple of quarters in 81 & 82. Lived in the four man room in the NW corner looking out at 75. Cant remember which floor, 4 th maybe. I remember the BA500. Good times

Amazing how many of you guys lived in Smith. I too lived there in '62 and '63, after my first quarter in the old Techwood dorm, where I had a crazy roomie who set fire to the door to the room and was obviously kicked out. From '64 to '67 I lived in Hanson one of the (at the time) "new dorms". My best memories are learning to play hearts and bridge in the Smith dorm lounge. Do students even play card games like those anymore? I think there was a group of us that played virtually every night of the week.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Good grief, am I the only one who lived in the hinterlands aka West Campus in Freeman? If the Russian Army was tasked with building a pow barracks in three days, you would end up with Freeman Dorm.

What really sucked is that I had the room next to the side door so every drunk who came home in the middle of the night but couldn't find his key would pound on my window to let him in. Ahhh, the good ole days.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
65 Howell- the grad student dorm adviser lived next door and he gave crap to me and others. Probably his first leadership position. Early one morning some body filled a trash can w water and leaned it against his door for a suprise. Others were more forceful- over Christmas they got 2 chickens into his room. Kindly they gave them 5 days water. Yea they lived and pooped for about 10 days. We got a new dorm advisor.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Good grief, am I the only one who lived in the hinterlands aka West Campus in Freeman? If the Russian Army was tasked with building a pow barracks in three days, you would end up with Freeman Dorm.

What really sucked is that I had the room next to the side door so every drunk who came home in the middle of the night but couldn't find his key would pound on my window to let him in. Ahhh, the good ole days.
My freshman dorm was Freeman

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
I keep checking back looking for info on the incoming freshmen. Just a bunch of OFs ( most not as old as me) reliving their lives in area I dorms. By the way, Glenn third floor corner room overlooking BDS @ HGF fall of 1972.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
I keep checking back looking for info on the incoming freshmen. Just a bunch of OFs ( most not as old as me) reliving their lives in area I dorms. By the way, Glenn third floor corner room overlooking BDS @ HGF fall of 1972.

1968 - Glenn 320
1969 - Hopkins? (Parallel to 3rd St acros from Glenn) 210

... then off to those with forgettable names next to the Burger Bowl.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Brown Hall for me. It’s the one on the corner of techwood and north ave. We had a crew of about 8 guys from all over the southeast. None of them graduated. Everyone transferred out but me. A lot of fun and not a lot of studying. I got two F’s and a D my third semester.
Calculus 10 am
Chemistry 8 am
Physics 9 am
Bad scheduling and didn’t know that you could withdraw. Oof!

HelluvaPE

Georgia Tech Fan
Brown Hall for me. It’s the one on the corner of techwood and north ave. We had a crew of about 8 guys from all over the southeast. None of them graduated. Everyone transferred out but me. A lot of fun and not a lot of studying. I got two F’s and a D my third semester.
Calculus 10 am
Chemistry 8 am
Physics 9 am
Brown 87-88, corner room overlooking North/Techwood intersection... a lot of wrecks in 3 quarters... then Harrison overlooking the connector for a year...

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Brown 87-88, corner room overlooking North/Techwood intersection... a lot of wrecks in 3 quarters... then Harrison overlooking the connector for a year...
Our hangout room was the bottom floor on that corner. Had the bay window that added just enough room to get most of the crew in there.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Calculus 10 am
Chemistry 8 am
Physics 9 am
The old pink parachute! I wonder is it still pink?

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Can anyone imagine what would happen today if double parking was still "allowed" on 3rd & Williams Streets east of Techwood?

I rounded that corner one day & my 1961 Ford Fairlane's radiator got destroyed by a double-parked bumper. Fortunately there was a radiator shop either on Spring or West Peachtree.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Smith. Corner unit. Three of us. Roommates were a 6'7" kid from NJ, and a skinny kid from Vietnam who spoke little (if any) English. I'm originally from rural Alabama and it was a cultural awakening. One of the best things that could have happened.

Then Brown. Overlooking Techwood Dr and North Ave. Heard a ruckus, looked out my window, and saw a dude get shot. It was an urban awakening. One of the worst things that could have happened.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Amazing how many of you guys lived in Smith. I too lived there in '62 and '63, after my first quarter in the old Techwood dorm, where I had a crazy roomie who set fire to the door to the room and was obviously kicked out. From '64 to '67 I lived in Hanson one of the (at the time) "new dorms". My best memories are learning to play hearts and bridge in the Smith dorm lounge. Do students even play card games like those anymore? I think there was a group of us that played virtually every night of the week.
Aside from good strategy sessions, hearts and bridge were great relaxation leading to a clear mind and better performance on quizzes. I had a couple of buddies that were doing terrible one quarter, so I frequently tore them away from their studies for a game of hearts. They made their best grades ever that quarter. True story.