Freshmen Arrive

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I lived in Smith as well, fourth floor. First week of school we tossed the neighbor kids mattress out his window then hid it in the TV room.

I lucked out and had a pretty good hallway. Most of us are still friends. We use to leave our rooms unlocked and doors wide open because we all looked out for each other and some of us had computers while others didn't...so those who didn't were allowed to use the computers if the owners weren't using it. People use to raid my fridge all the time or keep "beverages" in it.

Well, one day some us decided to swap furniture for two of the rooms. Put each piece of furniture in the exact same position it was in the other room. The look of confusion was priceless. Of course, it wasn't priceless when it came time to moving all the stuff back. The people in the rooms were cool with keeping it where it was, but GT was not.

I think everyone needs to go through the dorm experience once in their lifetime.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I lucked out and had a pretty good hallway. Most of us are still friends. We use to leave our rooms unlocked and doors wide open because we all looked out for each other and some of us had computers while others didn't...so those who didn't were allowed to use the computers if the owners weren't using it. People use to raid my fridge all the time or keep "beverages" in it.

Well, one day some us decided to swap furniture for two of the rooms. Put each piece of furniture in the exact same position it was in the other room. The look of confusion was priceless. Of course, it wasn't priceless when it came time to moving all the stuff back. The people in the rooms were cool with keeping it where it was, but GT was not.

I think everyone needs to go through the dorm experience once in their lifetime.
Very similar to my floor freshman year.

GT_EE78

Banned
I lived in Smith too. I wonder if the little tiny parking lot is still there between the dorm and north avenue?
parking stunk in 74. The techwood lot was your best chance, then peter's park, then behind the frat houses near the park, there was another between the park and EE lot.. Waking back to smith from the EE lot really sucked especially on wednesdays after penny a beer night at one eyed jacks.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
To all the freshmen moving in these days, you will never experience how it was to carry tube based TV up 3 flights of stairs. I think the 50-60 inch TVs weight far less than the smaller tube based TV my friend and I had to lug up 3 flights of stairs at Smith.
And cost half as much!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I lived in Smith too. I wonder if the little tiny parking lot is still there between the dorm and north avenue?
parking stunk in 74. The techwood lot was your best chance, then peter's park, then behind the frat houses near the park, there was another between the park and EE lot.. Waking back to smith from the EE lot really sucked especially on wednesdays after penny a beer night at one eyed jacks.
It's still there. [emoji3526]

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow

I was in Smith too! Pulled a kinda similar prank on our RA (/PL). We reversed the layout of the furniture in his room (e.g. Switched the bed from the left to the right). Then we all pretended like it was always like that and he was going mad.

We also locked him out of his room once by duct taping the door shut. I've got a picture of that somewhere

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
Found it

Attachments

• IMG-20141223-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20141223-WA0001.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 194

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Towers dorm here! Overlooking the downtown connector in a 4 man room.. TV?? No way! 3 of the 4 of us made it out... Good odds for back then...

Towers for me too. I strangely enjoyed watching folks road rage in traffic.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I lived in Smith as well, fourth floor. First week of school we tossed the neighbor kids mattress out his window then hid it in the TV room.
I lived in Smith on the third floor. No A/C during the last few weeks of spring quarter was rough. But what really sucked was the loud water hammer in the radiators during winter quarter. I never got used to it. It kept me up all night.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

GT_EE78

Banned
I lived in Smith on the third floor. No A/C during the last few weeks of spring quarter was rough.
I don't remember ever having A/C there. Maybe that was why there was usually a fan blowing out the window .....

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I stayed at Smith for a year then switched to Towers for my only summer spent on campus because one of my friends said Towers was great. Boy was that a miserable summer. 8th St. Apts rest of the way.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
What year(s) we're y'all in Towers?
I was there -
Freshman in '81, RA 82-84, Asst Hall Director 84/85.
Played on the GT Flag Football Champion team too. :)

Remember the B.A. 500?

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't remember ever having A/C there. Maybe that was why there was usually a fan blowing out the window .....
It didn't have A/C back in my day but it wasn't ever a problem until the last few weeks of spring quarter.