Former GT Coaches

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Do the mods really need you to be the board cop when you don't like something? Geez just stay out of the thread if it bothers you so much
In TooTall's defense, this is a touchy subject that is only tangentially related to the topic we are actually discussing. I've got a good friend who lost a kid, and being reminded of it isn't exactly fun for him.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I hope that Batt makes getting CPJ back on campus. I went to 2 orange bowls thanks to him. He literally thought our way to victory in so many games.

2024 is the perfect opportunity for that. celebrating the aniversary of that orange bowl winning team. With waller doing what he's doing in the pros and i think atleast 4 from that team coaching at some level it would be a good thing to do vs when we play Clemson at Bobby Dodd we also play FSU that year so we could do it then since that was the championship game.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This seems a little harsh on parents who’ve lost a child.

To be clear.

Playing football didn’t kill him.

It was practice. Practice. In the immortal words of a famous pro athlete, “We’re talking practice.”
This is not a comment about the incident in question.

How you practice is how you play. If you practice hard, you play hard. If you slack off in practice, you will in the game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is not a comment about the incident in question.

How you practice is how you play. If you practice hard, you play hard. If you slack off in practice, you will in the game.
I understand.

I don’t think the concern is practicing hard.

In my youth football coaches denied us water at summer camp in South Georgia. Some things just shouldn’t be done in the name of toughness.

I was not there to see if the dying ball player was denied aid or not. But if that is the concern then it doesn’t make sense to me to say that is no big deal. You can be a winning coach without putting player’s lives in danger.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is the only thing I'm going to say about this. As a former coach, I've not understood the urgency of certain circumstances with specific players and things have happened that were unexpected (I had an 11-year-old boy pee his pants because he needed to go and wasn't given specific permission, so didn't). That being said, every single practice has medical personnel present that can overrule the head coach or any other coach when a player's health is at risk. Yes, O'Leary is an SOB, but if there were medical personnel that stood by and didn't assist an at-risk player, then that's more on the medical staff than the head coach. Not defending GOL because I wasn't there, but the medical staff can overrule any coach in a health condition. The fact that they didn't, suggests it wasn't a cut-and-dried situation.

As someone involved with litigation, I understand that just because a jury arrived at a conclusion does not mean it was the correct conclusion. History is full of weird and wrong jury decisions. We are taught to treat the jury as if they have an 8th-grade education and are easily swayable by magnificent hand-waving. The court decision does not convince me of anyone's culpability. A young man lost his life. The jury felt someone should pay for that, rightly or wrongly.