Former GT Coaches

Squints

Helluva Engineer
LOL!

Cherry picked? I shared the article. The one with the title that the school was found negligent.
I read the article. But when the the first quote you pull out is referencing the jury's finding of 'no clear and convincing evidence' of gross negligence without the acknowledgement that negligence was indeed found comes off as disingenuous to me.

Having said that, being found negligent is vastly different than gross negligence. One is a careless mistake and the other is purposeful indifference.
I'm aware of what the difference between negligence and gross negligence is. But if your best defense is that it was just carelessness that led to an avoidable death, the kind of death that is rare at this level, it's not much of a defense imo.

Regardless, O'Leary did not kill the player. And I would say the same if it was any other coach at any other program.
At this point it's semantics. Do I think he intentionally killed the kid? Of course not. Do I think he, for lack of a better phrase, 'pulled the trigger' that killed the kid? No. But do I think he cultivated the environment and created the specific situation that directly led to the kid's death? Absolutely 100%. If someone says 'O'Leary killed the player' then that's what I'm assuming they mean so I personally don't have a problem with the phrasing. But you do do.

By the way, the penalty was reduced to $200K on appeal.
The money is not the point but that had to do with sovereign immunity bull**** rather then the facts of the case so it's irrelevant.

The way some GT fans go out of their way to attack our former coaches is embarrassing imo.
This is where it gets weird for me with y'all. It's got nothing to do with GT and it shouldn't. I think coaches that push a player with a known medical condition to their physical limit all the while verbally abusing him, not recognizing the physical signs of there being a serious medical issue, discouraging other players from helping said player when they notice those signs, and then lying about the length and intensity of the workout later they SHOULD be attacked. I don't give a flying **** what school they coached for or how many games they win. They should be run out of town on a rail. I'm not embarrassed by feeling that way at all.

Like I said, some would rather make excuses for that kind of thing. Sorry you feel that way.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Sigh, whatever. You are the one investing all this energy into trying to claim O'Leary is guilty of killing a student athlete, which he did not no matter how you try to spin it.

Lol I love this message board. You will write a sentence and someone else will come and say you said something else. Like no that is a whole nother sentence. Never gets old.

Like i said, I would say the same for any coach.

That makes two of us.

I am done with this discussion.

Yet again that makes two of us.

****head coaches everywhere thank you for your service. ✌️

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Lol I love this message board. You will write a sentence and someone else will come and say you said something else. Like no that is a whole nother sentence. Never gets old.

That makes two of us.

Yet again that makes two of us.

****head coaches everywhere thank you for your service. ✌️
Guess you are just a better person than some of us.

I also think Colonel Jessup got a raw deal in A Few Good Men.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
George O'Leary was found negligent in the death of one of his players at UCF. He ran an OL out of GT by forcing him to endure a "hit drill" because he missed a block during a game. There's a major difference between a bad coach and a coach who has a history of hurting/killing players.
He also had a history of beating Georgia, both at Tech and at UCF. That is a major difference between a bad coach and a good coach.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
No one making you click on it
Dynamite drop in. That broadcast school is really paying off.

My point is this has nothing to do with GT football. CGO wasnt head coach at GT when the tragic event that is being argued occurred. So it should be moved. Although nothing can be done about a person dying with a severe blood disorder over a decade ago, so thats why it should be closed.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
George O'Leary was found negligent in the death of one of his players at UCF. He ran an OL out of GT by forcing him to endure a "hit drill" because he missed a block during a game. There's a major difference between a bad coach and a coach who has a history of hurting/killing players.
GOL was caught in-between generations. I graduated high school in 2001 and I remember summer football camps with no water, repeat concussions, and 'oklahoma' drills until players could barely stand.

Was GOL hard? Yes. But it was also normalized behavior from coaches back then. I'm not saying it was right or justifying it, I'm just pointing out that there are generational differences that led to that.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
GOL was caught in-between generations. I graduated high school in 2001 and I remember summer football camps with no water, repeat concussions, and 'oklahoma' drills until players could barely stand.

Was GOL hard? Yes. But it was also normalized behavior from coaches back then. I'm not saying it was right or justifying it, I'm just pointing out that there are generational differences that led to that.
I can guarantee you my drill instructors were far tougher on me than O'Leary was on his players.

I agree, right, wrong or indifferent, some coaches were cut from a different cloth back then.

Also, if people are going to complain about O'Leary's treatment of his players, then one can say the same for CPJ who was also very tough on his players. In fact, he said as much when he was asked about getting in his players faces.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck

Is the current generation who is going to protect us when all hell breaks loose ? Will they even be funded ? These are not political questions, but rather, life and death sort of things, like GT football.

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the kids parents should have realized that him playing FB with a serious medical condition was dangerous and a bad idea instead of blaming the coach for doing his job?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the kids parents should have realized that him playing FB with a serious medical condition was dangerous and a bad idea instead of blaming the coach for doing his job?
This seems a little harsh on parents who’ve lost a child.

To be clear.

Playing football didn’t kill him.

It was practice. Practice. In the immortal words of a famous pro athlete, “We’re talking practice.”

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This seems a little harsh on parents who’ve lost a child.

To be clear.

Playing football didn’t kill him.

It was practice. Practice. In the immortal words of a famous pro athlete, “We’re talking practice.”
Your right, and i’m sorry I don’t mean to come across like that. I can’t imagine that loss.

Practice IS a huge part of playing football. Football practice is pure hell, if it’s not then you get the results of CGC

Did they know or not that he had this condition before he signed up?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Your right, and i’m sorry I don’t mean to come across like that. I can’t imagine that loss.

Practice IS a huge part of playing football. Football practice is pure hell, if it’s not then you get the results of CGC

Did they know or not that he had this condition before he signed up?

The issue wasn't that practice was unduly hard, it's that GOL refused to allow anyone to help him even when it was patently obvious he was in medical duress. By the time he finally relented, it was too late. That's a failing that I am not ok with. That's also why the jury awarded $10 million in wrongful death. The only reason it was cut to $200k was because an appeals court ruled UCF had sovereign immunity as a state entity. Add to this his hit drill running off one of our players, his known lies about his resume, and you have a clear pattern of a man who has serious ethical and moral flaws.

Fans are willing to give this a pass because we played good football under him.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
The issue wasn't that practice was unduly hard, it's that GOL refused to allow anyone to help him even when it was patently obvious he was in medical duress. By the time he finally relented, it was too late. That's a failing that I am not ok with. That's also why the jury awarded $10 million in wrongful death. The only reason it was cut to $200k was because an appeals court ruled UCF had sovereign immunity as a state entity. Add to this his hit drill running off one of our players, his known lies about his resume, and you have a clear pattern of a man who has serious ethical and moral flaws.

Fans are willing to give this a pass because we played good football under him.
Hey mods, this should be moved to the general pro and college sports thread. Nothing to do with GT football.