Former GT Coaches

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
would not think someone who is a staff member would say something like this.

George O'Leary was found negligent in the death of one of his players at UCF. He ran an OL out of GT by forcing him to endure a "hit drill" because he missed a block during a game. There's a major difference between a bad coach and a coach who has a history of hurting/killing players.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
George O'Leary was found negligent in the death of one of his players at UCF. He ran an OL out of GT by forcing him to endure a "hit drill" because he missed a block during a game. There's a major difference between a bad coach and a coach who has a history of hurting/killing players.

"But the jury also decided there was no clear and convincing evidence" that UCF's athletic association was guilty of gross negligence and determined it should not face punitive damages."

"Plancher collapsed and died following conditioning drills at the school's football complex in March 2008. Orange County medical examiner Joshua Stephany and three experts hired by Plancher family attorneys testified he died from complications of sickle cell trait."

Stating that O'Leary killed a football player is an ugly and inaccurate stretch of the unfortunate events that happened to the UCF player.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
True enough, just like there's middle ground between literally killing/hurting players and being found negligent and hit drills, huh?

No. He was the head football coach, and all responsibility fell on him. When you are found negligent because you denied medical assistance to a dying player with a known sickle-cell trait, you're guilty.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

"But the jury also decided there was no clear and convincing evidence" that UCF's athletic association was guilty of gross negligence and determined it should not face punitive damages."

"Plancher collapsed and died following conditioning drills at the school's football complex in March 2008. Orange County medical examiner Joshua Stephany and three experts hired by Plancher family attorneys testified he died from complications of sickle cell trait."

Stating that O'Leary killed a football player is an ugly and inaccurate stretch of the unfortunate events that happened to the UCF player.

Tell that to Plancher's parents.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If it takes hazing players to make them tough enough to beat uga 3IAR, or get rid of people not cut out for this then so be it. i personally am ok with that. Football is not fun, or for candyass’s. Give me a GOL everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. I wish we had hired him back after ND rejected his resume’

stech81

Helluva Engineer
And you use this cause Key worked for him? not good for a staff member. He also worked for Saben and CGC

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You want to go off on GOL, have at it. But, create a thread specifically for that and keep it out of where it doesn't belong. This is a thread about Brent Key and your interjection about your opinion regarding George O'Leary aren't relevant. Then step down from being a moderator so I can ignore you.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm not disputing the facts that he was found negligent and was a hard-nosed, bully of a coach. But, this is not the thread for it, and I should be able to ignore you if I don't want to read what you say.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You want to go off on GOL, have at it. But, create a thread specifically for that and keep it out of where it doesn't belong. This is a thread about Brent Key and your interjection about your opinion regarding George O'Leary aren't relevant. Then step down from being a moderator so I can ignore you.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm not disputing the facts that he was found negligent and was a hard-nosed, bully of a coach. But, this is not the thread for it, and I should be able to ignore you if I don't want to read what you say.
Thank you this should be about Key.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
The jury did.

Jury also found them negligent and awarded the family $10 million. A cherry picked quote talking exclusively about the jury's findings for gross negligence doesn't magically make that disappear.

There's a lot of info about this out there that's not hard to find and it is a very bad look for O'Leary. The way some GT fans rally to defend the incident is embarrassing imo.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Jury also found them negligent and awarded the family $10 million. A cherry picked quote talking exclusively about the jury's findings for gross negligence doesn't magically make that disappear.

There's a lot of info about this out there that's not hard to find and it is a very bad look for O'Leary. The way some GT fans rally to defend the incident is embarrassing imo.

LOL!

Cherry picked? I shared the article. The one with the title that the school was found negligent.

Having said that, being found negligent is vastly different than gross negligence. One is a careless mistake and the other is purposeful indifference. Regardless, O'Leary did not kill the player. And I would say the same if it was any other coach at any other program.

By the way, the penalty was reduced to $200K on appeal.

The way some GT fans go out of their way to attack our former coaches is embarrassing imo.