For Funzies, what changes would you make on Offense?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Another way to put this is that we do have a tight end set but we put a WR or OT at TE, which is not ideal.

Put it does give us the arbitrage of running a power set without telegraphing the package with substitution.

Diversity ... A big body that can block and/or catch, enabling the QB to switch into a 3-step drop over the middle where a blitzing LB would have been if he reads blitz.

It would be nice to have a 6-5 250 lb TE go over middle vs LBs instead of 5-10,190 lb Abacks

OK, so rather than saying utilize a TE in certain formations, the original post intended to say, run a completely different offensive philosophy.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Run/pass option plays, read-option plays out of shotgun/pistol/diamond, use shotgun with 4 WR's in passing situations

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
As an arm chair QB/coach I would love to see what our offense could do with the following changes:

1) M. Marshall moves to A back (similar to when A. Allen played A back with Dwyer at B Back)
2) T. Marshall moves back to being A Back
3) MLD moves back to being an A Back

4) C. Lynch moves to WR
5) Qua Searcy moves to WR

Just seems like CPJ always talks about getting best talent on the field and for some odd reason I don't feel like we are doing that.

Could you imagine this as our starting lineup?: I think it would be lethal personally

BBack- Mills backed up by Benson/Quaide
ABack- M. Marshall backed up by JJ Green
A Back- T. Marshall backed up by MLD and Cottrell
WR- Jeune and Searcy
WR- C. Lynch and Jalen Camp

Could not agree more in the offensive side. IMHO this is one of CPJ's major weaknesses. We have to get our best players on the field. And moving MLD back to aback is a must. We need a guy in there who is willing to block hard. All three of these guys can take it to the house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
Allow the OL to start in a two point stance. Especially in obvious passing situations. It allows the OL to set their feet faster and be prepared for the defensive rush and blitzes. We can still run the ball out of that with our zone blocking but we just wouldn't be cut blocking. We need a TE that can block and be use for receiving. Multiple receiver sets also causes our opponents to prepare for more than just the triple option.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
More mid-line. I also would like to see some "load option" where the BB doesn't MESH, but rather runs to the playside as a lead blocker. It is a double option play off typical AB motion.
wish I could like this 10 times. What we ran in high school and the defense hates to see it coming.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I would love to see some shotgun, but I really doubt the offensive line could give him the time he needs to see. Especially with the way they have been missing assignments lately...

Shotgun would give him more time than the 3 step run for your life...

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Zone block more. Like make that the base. Once ncaa stops cut blocking like the nfl is slowly doing paul will have to change
Allow more 2pt for tackles with outside foot back
Let AB block head up when blocking inside out vs trying to dive cut.
Definitely work some TE formations/plays in like monken or maybe its ken?

Actually use 3 wr in 3 wr sets. Vs a ab in a slot. This is primarily for passing down sets.

Not major major changes. Just some tweaks and diversity

Techster

Helluva Engineer
More mid-line. I also would like to see some "load option" where the BB doesn't MESH, but rather runs to the playside as a lead blocker. It is a double option play off typical AB motion.

RPO off the load option would be a great complementary play.

RPO off the 3o. BB sneaks out into the flats after the mesh, and AB is still the pitchman, but WR takes off instead of blocking.

More counter motion plays to slow the DBs from shooting into the play box.

OL align like we're passing with the OTs in a 2pt stance instead of 4 pt, and OGs and C can stay in 4pt. OTs can still cut from that stance if they need to, but gives cuts out the wasted motion when they need to kick out in pass pro.

Wider positioning for the ABs so when we do pass, there are better passing angles for the QBs.

I could go on...but those are some that don't need drastic tweaking that we could easily implement