First Team Meeting Video

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Your first line above, by being a factory you inherently put football above academics; thats the point of a factory right? All factories run their programs in that similar "manor"; maybe except ND.....but is ND a factory? Yet, we still have factories, like Auburn for instance. Or UGA. Or Tennessee, etc, that can't come close to what clemson is doing. Heck, Michigan, Texas, even Oklahoma. My point is, all these schools put football above all else. Spend a ton of money, yet still don't do it; so its more than that....

Which is why your second line is very very very much a key reason
I agree with all that. But over the last bunch of years, the team standing on the top of the mountain has been a factory. My question is can a non-factory ascend to the top?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
my guess is if they are not funded by cash fully up front, then there is carry cost and loan cost that is 100% in those numbers (same goes for tech).

I am not intimate with how clemson funded the stadium expansion 10 years ago or new lockers, dorms etc, but with interest rates so low during that time period most schools loaned the money and used donations as a basis, those expenses are in budget so to speak. So I think some of that may be in there. Maybe not, though, maybe thats just football operations spend.

but thats the same for tech. If its just operations spend, then our BDS expansion loans etc are not in there too...so for me its still apples to apples.

Clemson put $ in their facilities.
but so is Texas A&M
UGA
the arms race is everywhere. Again, its part of it...but not the only reason.
"same as Tech"

I somehow doubt the magnitude of their capital investment is the same as ours.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Some of you people are exactly the reason why GT settles for mediocrity. Clemson and GT were roughly the same level of football school when I was in college. They were great games, but Clemson certainly wasn't unbeatable. Along comes a charismatic coach, who is genuine and inspires people, and clemson takes off. Now they have won 2 natty's and are looking to be the dominant college football program for the foreseeable future and some of you are comparing Dabo to a used car salesmen.

SMDH at you... Being a leader means casting vision, it means inspiring people, and it means to a degree selling your program. The people who get that and are genuine in their believes more often than not have their companies and divisions thrive.

Dabo will go down as one of the best college football coaches of our generation, and he built his program through an unyielding belief in the players he recruited. I am glad we finally have a coach who appears to have the same passion and belief.
kenpagedollars.jpg

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with all that. But over the last bunch of years, the team standing on the top of the mountain has been a factory. My question is can a non-factory ascend to the top?

some non-factory P5 schools may ascend to the top as a one off...certainly not with regularity

But what defines a factory? Is Iowa? I could see Iowa being a splash one year. 10 years ago was Clemson? I think the factory label is spread so wide what isn't a factory? Just small schools?

What school in the SEC isn't a factory other than maybe Vandy?
How about the Big 10. Northwestern. Iowa. is that it? I think Wisconsin is as much a factory as anyone. Illinois?
Look at the ACC; wake, duke, gt, nc state, unc, uva, I guess none of those are factories....could a UVA or UNC or NC State make a splash? I guess....

The whole Big 12 behaves like a factory, even Baylor.

So for me, what we see is a total commitment to football in most P5 conferences other than a handful of schools that fall behind....

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
"same as Tech"

I somehow doubt the magnitude of their capital investment is the same as ours.

no I didn't say that at all; not sure how you read that there. Same as tech meant book keeping not magnitude. in other words its in the number or not, we would do the same, ie put it in the number or not. Re-read please

if that number represents operations plus cost to carry loans, its in the number, as it would be for us (same as tech); if its not, then we wouldn't put it in the number either. Either way, it captures the spirit of relative spend

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
I think that’s why they were WTF looks on some of the players faces. It’s also kind of a slap in the face to the previous regime. New World Order...
You can choose not to see what is there all you want. Blinders, head in sand, whatever you want to call it. People are real good at it nowadays.

My comment was in reference to the "slap in the face to the previous regime." People are also real good at calling things what they want it to be. But hey, continue to have at it.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

Animal02

Banned
You can choose not to see what is there all you want. Blinders, head in sand, whatever you want to call it. People are real good at it nowadays.
We we're still competitive with Clemp when Dabo took over....once they ramped up the spending, they were off to the races. But so many posters here want to keep their head in the sand and think that it is all about the coach. You can put the best race car driver in the world in a Ford focus and it will still lose to a Porsche consistently.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
He's saying and implying a lot more than we're gonna be back on the national scene.
1. By focusing so heavily on improving recruiting, which we need, he has to be more delicate in how he communicates this message. It scores big with fans and boosters, but with current players it tells them you're not good enough.
2. By saying you're changing the culture and making them work harder and demanding more of themselves suggests they didn't do it in the past and that the former staff didn't demand it.
3. Mostly it's all the goofy buzz words and phrases that are repeated ad nauseum.

It's not the message, per say, it's the means, or style, of delivery. Geoff selling GT football reminds of this guy hocking miracle Shammies (sic). (Chamois)

1. You're not giving current players enough credit. They aren't delicate flowers and this isn't the time for delicacy. If they feel slighted, then they can use it for motivation to work harder and get better.
2. I doubt CPJ was worried about hurting Chan's feelings when he came in and changed a bunch of stuff. When you're the new head coach, you come in and set the tone and instill your culture day 1. And part of that means letting your players know what is expected of them. Things *are* going to be different. They just are. CGC is bringing in a whole new philosophy of how to win football games. That doesn't mean CPJ's philosophy didn't work, but if Tech is going to be successful, the players have to buy in to the new system.
3. This is just branding, and most everyone does it to some degree, though CGC definitely seems to be big on it. If it annoys you, just try to tune it out because it isn't going anywhere.

I don't think CGC comes across like the ShamWow guy, maybe more like Billy Mays, God rest him.
FG1FA5WGUO15JE5.LARGE.jpg

Animal02

Banned
1. You're not giving current players enough credit. They aren't delicate flowers and this isn't the time for delicacy. If they feel slighted, then they can use it for motivation to work harder and get better.
2. I doubt CPJ was worried about hurting Chan's feelings when he came in and changed a bunch of stuff. When you're the new head coach, you come in and set the tone and instill your culture day 1. And part of that means letting your players know what is expected of them. Things *are* going to be different. They just are. CGC is bringing in a whole new philosophy of how to win football games. That doesn't mean CPJ's philosophy didn't work, but if Tech is going to be successful, the players have to buy in to the new system.
3. This is just branding, and most everyone does it to some degree, though CGC definitely seems to be big on it. If it annoys you, just try to tune it out because it isn't going anywhere.

I don't think CGC comes across like the ShamWow guy, maybe more like Billy Mays, God rest him.
FG1FA5WGUO15JE5.LARGE.jpg
So just what is the "new philosophy" of winning football games? I see all these generalizations about the new system.....because he is a blank slate..(kind of like many politicians) that people have assigned attributes to. Some say it will be 4&5 star recruits consistently, yet others say 3 stars being coached up. It has been had to keep up with all the miracles he is supposed to be performing.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
He's saying and implying a lot more than we're gonna be back on the national scene.
1. By focusing so heavily on improving recruiting, which we need, he has to be more delicate in how he communicates this message. It scores big with fans and boosters, but with current players it tells them you're not good enough.

So what you think a competitive person would do: cry or prove him wrong. How is recruiting considered by many the biggest weakness, yet it’s now a point of emphasis, and it’s a perceived negative?!

2. By saying you're changing the culture and making them work harder and demanding more of themselves suggests they didn't do it in the past and that the former staff didn't demand it.
The culture does needs changing and based on the last 4 yrs our good was not good enough. The former staff may have demanded it, but didn’t translate on the field.

3. Mostly it's all the goofy buzz words and phrases that are repeated ad nauseum.
You need more juice

It's not the message, per say, it's the means, or style, of delivery. Geoff selling GT football reminds of this guy hocking miracle Shammies (sic). (Chamois)

This sounds like complete stubbornness and unwillingness to change.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

8c8881134-shamwowguy.nbcnews-fp-1200-800.jpg
Since you and I aren’t in the room our opinions on how it comes across doesn’t mean much. FWIW my guess, knowing athletes that age, they probably assume he’s talking about other guys. The ones not playing much think they will finally get their shot and the starters assume there will be a spot for them. Most jocks have healthy egos...you pretty much have to in order to get out there in front of thousands of people and perform. Besides this team was 7-6. They already know if they want to be better they have to work harder. It would have been the same message if Johnson had returned. I mean if the players are good enough and they worked hard enough why did we have the record we did and why did we get hammered by Clemson, ugag and Minn and why did we lose to SFl? The players aren’t stupid.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I think that’s why they were WTF looks on some of the players faces. It’s also kind of a slap in the face to the previous regime. New World Order...
Collins has to get his players to buy in, he can’t allow them to continue to do the same things they did with the previous staff, idk if he will require more or less from the players but what he requires will completely different just based on scheme alone. As for the “WTF Looks” you see, I guess you decided to gloss over the smiles and excitement and the whole team yelling in unison. It simply is a New World Order and that is not disrespectful to the prior staff.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
While everyone is hand-wringing, was talking to some buddies still in the locker room and everyone is very excited so IIWII

Seems incredible that people are so upset about the supposed shots at PJ. He was my coach and I am a big fan, but this is how it goes. He didn't have to retire, but he did. No its the onus of the new coaching staff to shake things up.

For all he did well, coach johnson was not a hype guy & this is a shot of adrenaline we need. GT is a pretty stodgy institution in practice and reputation. You have to do more to get people excited about a school where calculus is king vs Clemson or some other factory

You have 230 days until next season, are we really going to see whiny posts from @dressedcheeseside about why we haven't won the ACC in April or

Animal02

Banned
You could also say, "If Dabo wasn't such a genuine and charismatic guy then Clemson wouldn't have been able to recruit and retain elite talent while establishing the best locker room culture in the country." But, that would be giving credit where credit is due, and you're coming across as a hater.

As one of my favorite coaches used to say, "It is what it is."
You really think that Clemp would be at where they are if the spending on football had remained at the same comparable level as when Dabo took over? If you do, there are a boatload of time shares I am sure you would love to buy.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
So just what is the "new philosophy" of winning football games? I see all these generalizations about the new system.....because he is a blank slate..(kind of like many politicians) that people have assigned attributes to. Some say it will be 4&5 star recruits consistently, yet others say 3 stars being coached up. It has been had to keep up with all the miracles he is supposed to be performing.

I think CGC has actually laid out a pretty clear vision in his press conference and interviews. Yes, recruiting a higher percentage of elite talent is first and foremost, and that is the point of all of this new branding, but he has put together a staff that is really strong on the development side, as well. I can understand if you don't want to join the hype train just yet. But rolling your eyes at everything the new coach says is no better than the people who whined from day one about CPJ's "high school offense" not being able to work at the P5 level.

Animal02

Banned
I think CGC has actually laid out a pretty clear vision in his press conference and interviews. Yes, recruiting a higher percentage of elite talent is first and foremost, and that is the point of all of this new branding, but he has put together a staff that is really strong on the development side, as well. I can understand if you don't want to join the hype train just yet. But rolling your eyes at everything the new coach says is no better than the people who whined from day one about CPJ's "high school offense" not being able to work at the P5 level.
So you are in the camp of recruiting 4-5 star players....and that is the "New philosophy"? As I said, others here have said it is coaching up 3 stars.
I "roll my eyes" at the posters here that think solely because some one new has walked in the door and says "New sheriff in town" that everything is now rainbows and unicorns. The problems are much deeper than that.....whether they change is yet to be seen.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
So you are in the camp of recruiting 4-5 star players....and that is the "New philosophy"? As I said, others here have said it is coaching up 3 stars.
I "roll my eyes" at the posters here that think solely because some one new has walked in the door and says "New sheriff in town" that everything is now rainbows and unicorns. The problems are much deeper than that.....whether they change is yet to be seen.

Yeah, I think it qualifies as a new philosophy. The old plan was to recruit players to a very specific system and try to outscheme opponents, whereas the new plan is to recruit the best players we can get and scheme to their strengths. We can recruit more 4 stars and coach up our 3 stars at the same time. These aren't mutually exclusive.

I am not thinking in terms of rainbows and unicorns. yes, other things need to change in the program. The early indications for that are quite promising.

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I think it qualifies as a new philosophy. The old plan was to recruit players to a very specific system and try to outscheme opponents, whereas the new plan is to recruit the best players we can get and scheme to their strengths. We can recruit more 4 stars and coach up our 3 stars at the same time. These aren't mutually exclusive.

I am not thinking in terms of rainbows and unicorns. yes, other things need to change in the program. The early indications for that are quite promising.
I'm really impressed from what I've heard so far from Coach Collins' coaching staff:cool:

Animal02

Banned

That is far more realistic than several posters on here. ;)
I don't buy all the hype.....just as most of the other older posters.......been around the block too many times for that. The proof will be what happens on the field AND in the classroom.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That is far more realistic than several posters on here. ;)
I don't buy all the hype.....just as most of the other older posters.......been around the block to many times for that. The proof will be what happens on the field AND in the classroom.
and in the community. For the most we’ve kept our noses clean off the field as well as provided a good bit of community service ( not the court ordered kind ;)).