First Team Meeting Video

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Actually, if Clemp hadn't spent boat loads of $$$$ to buy national championships, and he was acting the same winning 6-8 games a year.....he still would be considered a clown.

You could also say, "If Dabo wasn't such a genuine and charismatic guy then Clemson wouldn't have been able to recruit and retain elite talent while establishing the best locker room culture in the country." But, that would be giving credit where credit is due, and you're coming across as a hater.

As one of my favorite coaches used to say, "It is what it is."

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Actually, if Clemp hadn't spent boat loads of $$$$ to buy national championships, and he was acting the same winning 6-8 games a year.....he still would be considered a clown.

Clemson spends less than 9 other teams based on published numbers in football. While they may have increased their spend the past 10 years on an annual basis, they are still like 20 million a year less than bama. And. Only spend 6 million more than baylor a year in football. Or south carolina or ole miss. Point is yeah they spend. But its closer to number 25 in spend than number 1. So maybe these numbers are fake news and there are other non accounted for factors that play into it. But all i can go on is what i read here on a relevant article

At some point it wouldn’t hurt to just give dabo credit. Maybe he is one heck of a coach too. That doesn’t always mean x and o as a hc

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...ollege_football_where_does_syracuse_rank.html

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson spends less than 9 other teams based on published numbers in football. While they may have increased their spend the past 10 years on an annual basis, they are still like 20 million a year less than bama. And. Only spend 6 million more than baylor a year in football. Or south carolina or ole miss. Point is yeah they spend. But its closer to number 25 in spend than number 1. So maybe these numbers are fake news and there are other non accounted for factors that play into it. But all i can go on is what i read here on a relevant article

At some point it wouldn’t hurt to just give dabo credit. Maybe he is one heck of a coach too. That doesn’t always mean x and o as a hc

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...ollege_football_where_does_syracuse_rank.html
Clempson, has Everything Auburn has ( jock degrees, police , bag men, facilities, etc...) Plus a Lake ;). Thank goodness for them only a handfull got tested for MK-2866 or they would have been using their scout team players in the playoffs...

Last edited:

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Actually, I am excited about the new staff and direction. However, I think all the cheesy car salesman hype and loosely veiled shots at the former staff and current players is a buzz kill.

Exactly what is he suppose to do or say right now?

Sometimes, the truth hurt. You can’t complain about having 4-5 noon games a season, but get your hurt feelings when coach talks about being back on the national scene (=more prime time games & exposure)

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing that confuses is me is this whole “Legends of The Flats” deal... Don’t get me wrong, there were some great players in the early 2000’s... But I haven’t seen any legends from the 1990 team be featured, or what about one of the few remaining guys alive from the 1952 team. Those guys are the legends.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
One thing that confuses is me is this whole “Legends of The Flats” deal... Don’t get me wrong, there were some great players in the early 2000’s... But I haven’t seen any legends from the 1990 team be featured, or what about one of the few remaining guys alive from the 1952 team. Those guys are the legends.

All former players are considered “Legends of the Flats” from my understanding

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
If if if. They didn't "buy national championships," they built national championships. And ol' Dabo deserves a lot of credit for that along with their administration. They don't just outspend everyone.

And I can't stand Clemson right now, because their alums are getting on my nerves. Lord help if UGA wins one anytime soon.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Clempson, has Everything Auburn has ( jock degrees, police , bag men, facilities, etc...) Plus a Lake ;). Thank goodness for them only a handfull got tested for MK-2866 or they would have been using their scout team players in the playoffs...
yet for 80 years they didn't do much until now right? So my point is, its not just "the school", the coach matters too. We can all act like Clemson has been a factory all this time but it hasn't. It was more like GT 10 years ago than Bama. Dabo stepped the game up. The school did too. If it was so easy, other guys would be doing it. Why aren't those other factory schools doing it? Maybe its the coach.... And call me crazy, but I don't believe he runs a dirty program.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
yet for 80 years they didn't do much until now right? So my point is, its not just "the school", the coach matters too. We can all act like Clemson has been a factory all this time but it hasn't. It was more like GT 10 years ago than Bama. Dabo stepped the game up. The school did too. If it was so easy, other guys would be doing it. Why aren't those other factory schools doing it? Maybe its the coach.... And call me crazy, but I don't believe he runs a dirty program.

I think the key is that they decided to spend heavily on the coaching and support staff, and the family atmosphere/culture that Dabo has built attracts and retains top players.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
The only thing at Clemson that has not been upgraded in the past 6 years is the drainage system in the stands. Everything else is new. The dorms, the indoor practice facility, the football only facility, the players training table , weight rooms, locker rooms, etc... They spent the money to attract. And people bought into it. UGA is doing the same things .60 million locker room at the stadium , new indoor, new weight rooms , new football only facility locker rooms, new training table etc... It cost a bunch to keep up w those programs. I don't think Dabo is dirty. GT is way behind in the arms race.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Not only does Clemson not spend at the top. They don't recruit at the top, either. They are usually top 10 or top 15 in recruiting and still get a good number of 3 star players. Sure, they spend and recruit way better than we do, but not at the level of Bama, so Clemson is actually overachieving at least slightly under Dabo. I dunno why people refuse to give the guy any credit.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Exactly what is he suppose to do or say right now?

Sometimes, the truth hurt. You can’t complain about having 4-5 noon games a season, but get your hurt feelings when coach talks about being back on the national scene (=more prime time games & exposure)
He's saying and implying a lot more than we're gonna be back on the national scene.
1. By focusing so heavily on improving recruiting, which we need, he has to be more delicate in how he communicates this message. It scores big with fans and boosters, but with current players it tells them you're not good enough.
2. By saying you're changing the culture and making them work harder and demanding more of themselves suggests they didn't do it in the past and that the former staff didn't demand it.
3. Mostly it's all the goofy buzz words and phrases that are repeated ad nauseum.

It's not the message, per say, it's the means, or style, of delivery. Geoff selling GT football reminds of this guy hocking miracle Shammies (sic). (Chamois)

8c8881134-shamwowguy.nbcnews-fp-1200-800.jpg

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There's lots of factories that suck. Being a factory is not contingent on winning, it's how you run your program. It's how you put football above academics and everything else and discard you players with little real world job/life skills and preparation after their eligibility is up.

But I agree with you that Dabo deserves credit. He's risen to the top of the factory heap.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The only thing at Clemson that has not been upgraded in the past 6 years is the drainage system in the stands. Everything else is new. The dorms, the indoor practice facility, the football only facility, the players training table , weight rooms, locker rooms, etc... They spent the money to attract. And people bought into it. UGA is doing the same things .60 million locker room at the stadium , new indoor, new weight rooms , new football only facility locker rooms, new training table etc... It cost a bunch to keep up w those programs. I don't think Dabo is dirty. GT is way behind in the arms race.

not debating those facts. Simply giving dabo more credit than those that think programs just build themselves because you throw money at it. Thats ridiculous.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
There's lots of factories that suck. Being a factory is not contingent on winning, it's how you run your program. It's how you put football above academics and everything else and discard you players with little real world job/life skills and preparation after their eligibility is up.

But I agree with you that Dabo deserves credit. He's risen to the top of the factory heap.

Your first line above, by being a factory you inherently put football above academics; thats the point of a factory right? All factories run their programs in that similar "manor"; maybe except ND.....but is ND a factory? Yet, we still have factories, like Auburn for instance. Or UGA. Or Tennessee, etc, that can't come close to what clemson is doing. Heck, Michigan, Texas, even Oklahoma. My point is, all these schools put football above all else. Spend a ton of money, yet still don't do it; so its more than that....

Which is why your second line is very very very much a key reason

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
And are you counting all those capital upgrades in your annual spending calculation?

my guess is if they are not funded by cash fully up front, then there is carry cost and loan cost that is 100% in those numbers (same goes for tech).

I am not intimate with how clemson funded the stadium expansion 10 years ago or new lockers, dorms etc, but with interest rates so low during that time period most schools loaned the money and used donations as a basis, those expenses are in budget so to speak. So I think some of that may be in there. Maybe not, though, maybe thats just football operations spend.

but thats the same for tech. If its just operations spend, then our BDS expansion loans etc are not in there too...so for me its still apples to apples.

Clemson put $ in their facilities.
but so is Texas A&M
UGA
the arms race is everywhere. Again, its part of it...but not the only reason.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Some of you people are exactly the reason why GT settles for mediocrity. Clemson and GT were roughly the same level of football school when I was in college. They were great games, but Clemson certainly wasn't unbeatable. Along comes a charismatic coach, who is genuine and inspires people, and clemson takes off. Now they have won 2 natty's and are looking to be the dominant college football program for the foreseeable future and some of you are comparing Dabo to a used car salesmen.

SMDH at you... Being a leader means casting vision, it means inspiring people, and it means to a degree selling your program. The people who get that and are genuine in their believes more often than not have their companies and divisions thrive.

Dabo will go down as one of the best college football coaches of our generation, and he built his program through an unyielding belief in the players he recruited. I am glad we finally have a coach who appears to have the same passion and belief.