First Team Meeting Video

Milwaukee

Banned
“You know what guys, just do what you want! I don’t need to tell you how to do a thing!!! Just be a free spirit and live life! Thanks love you!”

giphy (43).gif

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
The more I hear, the less enthused I get.
I don't need pumping up. I'd like to see results. You gotta trot out "New World Order?" I'm sorry, that just doesn't do it for me. I want him to succeed but ... I don't know. This "satisfied, hungry, starving" and ATL instead of a depth chart ... too gimmicky. If it leads to winning, awesome. If it doesn't .... Right now, it's a lot of talk. Talk the talk all you want.
I hope he walks it as well and as much as he talks it.

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't need pumping up. I'd like to see results. You gotta trot out "New World Order?" I'm sorry, that just doesn't do it for me. I want him to succeed but ... I don't know. This "satisfied, hungry, starving" and ATL instead of a depth chart ... too gimmicky. If it leads to winning, awesome. If it doesn't .... Right now, it's a lot of talk. Talk the talk all you want.
You need strong communication to set a new culture and that's how I view this. The players need to practice, lift, study, etc with incredible intensity and drive. All of that starts at the top and I think the coaches are mostly setting the time for the rest of the year

Sure, there is some ra-ra that might be over the top, but I love the messages the coaches are giving and I think we just saw the highlights for the tweet.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Fortunately how you or I feel about it is meaningless. What does matter is getting about 100 young guys to buy in. But wouldn’t it be cool if he’s able to back everything up and wouldn’t it be fun to be onboard?

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
So this looks pretty good, but I do start to wonder how it comes off in person. Would be interested to hear how players are internalizing the messages. It can get trite if everything is a tweetable sound bite.

That said, I love the enthusiasm so hope it comes across as genuine and is amping the boys up.
It's the beginning/introduction. Good as long as it's accompanied with substance, and I'm sure it will be.

That may weed out a few coasters though, a good thing.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It's the beginning/introduction. Good as long as it's accompanied with substance, and I'm sure it will be.

That may weed out a few coasters though, a good thing.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"
Agree 100% that this is a breath of something new and likely the over indexing on coach speak is to set the tone. I was only saying I hope the speeches are not ringing hollow due to them being crafted for sound bites in a twitter feed as opposed to longer form narratives to amp the team. The "My everything, or nothing" moment from TC was powerful because in the moment it was real, the rah-rah look at the cameras overly produced elements can get worn out quickly.

Not trying to be a buzz kill, and I am all in on supporting the program, I was only asking if people who are connected to the team had insight to how the meetings and messages are being internalized and viewed by the players.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

Well, no matter who the new coach is, there won't be results until next season. So, in the meantime, he can just be quiet, or talk and try to pump people up. I prefer the talk.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck

Hey, I too have a visceral negative reaction to the hype man. The engineer in me says the difference between a used car salesman and a hypeman is the hypeman is better at it, but both will screw you over just the same. Too many examples in the corporate world of hype being all you need and results never being evaluated.

But there's no results coming until next season, only indirect estimates. I'll watch those too, however...

The economist in me recognises that you need the hype to do what Geoff is trying to do. We can't know if he's the brilliant strategist Tech needs or yet another hype guy. SO you might as well enjoy the hype while it goes.

If nothing else, my esteem for the opinion of our athletic director argues for giving GC the benefit of the doubt, and I end up a lot happier for the next some months that way.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
He is. But atl doesnt mean u start. Sp teams.

What i was really getting at is the players need to adopt the new style or they sit. Etc

This isn’t necessarily directed at you:

I love how people are acting like, “Oh, watch out! There’s a new sheriff in town now!”

It’s like CPJ was some soft players coach or something.

These current guys are used to discipline and hard work. They’ll buy in and be fine.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Hey, I too have a visceral negative reaction to the hype man. The engineer in me says the difference between a used car salesman and a hypeman is the hypeman is better at it, but both will screw you over just the same. Too many examples in the corporate world of hype being all you need and results never being evaluated.

But there's no results coming until next season, only indirect estimates. I'll watch those too, however...

The economist in me recognises that you need the hype to do what Geoff is trying to do. We can't know if he's the brilliant strategist Tech needs or yet another hype guy. SO you might as well enjoy the hype while it goes.

If nothing else, my esteem for the opinion of our athletic director argues for giving GC the benefit of the doubt, and I end up a lot happier for the next some months that way.
This day and age in college football its fake it til you make it.