Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
How think that after getting a new contract extension and coaching here for years - he was obligated to give more than minimum notice.

Perhaps coach did not know he would just run out of gas. His coaching in the UVA and Miami game were genius.
How much time?

From the AJC:

All along, whenever Paul Johnson addressed the topic of retirement, he said he would stop coaching at Georgia Tech when he stopped enjoying it. That was evidently the point that Johnson reached this past season, his 11th at Tech and his 40th in coaching.
“I told (athletic director Todd Stansbury) in the middle of the year that it wasn’t much fun,” Johnson said Thursday at his news conference to answer questions about his decision to step down as the 12th full-time coach of the Yellow Jackets.

Do you honestly think that it was a surprise? Do you honestly think that during that sit down with Stansbury in the middle of the year that he didn't say he was likely to hang it up so that Stansbury could start putting out feelers? He gave more than adequate notice for the search to get whomever they could get.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I think comparing Collins to Dabo is a stretch. I don't see the similarities. Dabo was high energy in games and worked refs.... Collins just looks lost and clueless and doesn't jump all over refs, for bad calls. Unless I have missed it. I guess both are good salesmen. One had a good product and surrounded himself with good coordinators, the other apparently hasn't. I think Collins is more interested in his image and culture than he is in winning. I get it... He is trying to bring a certain culture to GT. However; that culture isn't equaling wins. I didn't like the Collins hire, from day one. To date, Collins hasn't done much to sway my initial opinion. You are right about military and doing something, to where people are ready, when crap hits the fan. But, sadly not all military people were/are built that way. I recall my sergeant, folding like a chair, in 91, during a fire fight. I just don't have the same optimism regarding Collins. I see a man that rather blame, than take responsibility. I also dislike gimmicky catch phrases. In my line of work, its a cover for a poor product.
Who does he blame? He goes out of his way to avoid blaming his coaches or his players.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I would expect that 5 years as a HC would be enough to calm the pressure situations. If it isn't, I don't know that any amount of experience would be.

What would your solution be? It would be difficult to have something like simulated war games to practice those decisions. I understand a lot of coaching staffs meet, discuss, and write down time/down/distance/etc scenarios so that they are all on the same page when one of those scenarios happens during a game. I don't know if CGC has been doing that. Some people just freeze during high pressure situations, if that is the case I don't know if it can be corrected. I certainly hope they come up with some method of correcting those mistakes next year.

My solution is to give him until 2022 or 2023, when we can afford to fire him, to see if he is capable of improving the team to where we want it to be. I don't think firing him now solves anything.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I would expect that 5 years as a HC would be enough to calm the pressure situations. If it isn't, I don't know that any amount of experience would be.
Some people are natural, a few get used to it in time and with experience, most can muster at best degraded performance & some just never can handle it or worse fold like a cheap tent. CGC appears to be in category 3, he loses focus. A strong assistant that knows what he’s doing would really help.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I think comparing Collins to Dabo is a stretch. I don't see the similarities. Dabo was high energy in games and worked refs.... Collins just looks lost and clueless and doesn't jump all over refs, for bad calls. Unless I have missed it. I guess both are good salesmen. One had a good product and surrounded himself with good coordinators, the other apparently hasn't. I think Collins is more interested in his image and culture than he is in winning. I get it... He is trying to bring a certain culture to GT. However; that culture isn't equaling wins. I didn't like the Collins hire, from day one. To date, Collins hasn't done much to sway my initial opinion. You are right about military and doing something, to where people are ready, when crap hits the fan. But, sadly not all military people were/are built that way. I recall my sergeant, folding like a chair, in 91, during a fire fight. I just don't have the same optimism regarding Collins. I see a man that rather blame, than take responsibility. I also dislike gimmicky catch phrases. In my line of work, its a cover for a poor product.
I don't see much similarity between Collins and Dabo other than neither of them seem to be focused on X's and O's. Dabo also has a lot more money to work with hiring staff so that's a handicap Collins has to overcome, plain and simple. But granting that we'll never have the money that Dabo has to spend on assistants, we won't get to the level Clemson was at but that doesn't mean we can't be a lot better at coaching than we've been. Collins's main job at GT has been and will continue to be recruiting and setting the culture/identity/"whatever you want to call it" but to be successful he needs solid coordinators and good position coaches. If several of those spots aren't improved dramatically then no amount of great recruiting will overcome that.

I believe we can be successful at GT with really good recruiting and solid coaching. Collins has been able to get us closer to the former. He is failing on the latter. I think he probably has one more chance to get the latter right. If he doesn't then that will be his downfall. I don't think the "gimmicky catch phrases" are a problem. I don't think his press conferences are a problem. I don't think any of it is "cover for a bad product." It's simply a matter of having better coaches.

P.S. I'm not asking for anyone to like the catch phrases or the press conferences or anything else you don't like, I'm just suggesting I don't think they are the problem or even part of the problem and they are completely unrelated to his choices of assistant coaches. I'm not sure I've seen any compelling evidence that those things are symptoms of his poor judgment on who is a good assistant coach and who isn't (though I think he did select at least a few good assistants: I think Tashard Choice, and Kerry Dixon are both good coaches and good recruiters, I think Larry Knight and Marco Coleman are the only ones on the defensive side of the ball doing anything worth a darn and I think they had the least to work with on that side of the ball when they got here - true we aren't getting a pass rush but again, I think they had the biggest hill to climb in terms of personnel; I'm reserving judgment on Key because I think the players he inherited had skills completely different than what he needed for what we're doing and on top of that the constant injuries or, last year, COVID issues, have wreaked havoc on the consistency of the lineup so from me he gets an INC; Wiesehan had ZERO players when he got here and our best TE is out so he also gets an INC, though I don't think our offensive special teams have been that great; everyone else I think have had enough time to show they can get the job done and they haven't done that).

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
This may come as a surprise but I agree that golf and baseball have been our most successful programs for a long time. I follow our baseball program as much as a ten hour drive will allow. The women's programs needed to catch up and TStan did that by hiring new coaches who have taken them to the next level. Volleyball and basketball are currently ranked in the top 25. If you want to ignore that fact, I can say nothing to change your mind. When Pastner's future looked dim, TStan stood by him when lots of people thought GT should let him go, with cause.

I am not happy with the losses the football team is piling up and I agree that Collins has been a disappointment thus far. Maybe TStan will have to make a tough financial decision about Collins' future very soon. But, the success or failure of the football team is not the only thing the AD is responsible for. If you look across the board there is a well functioning and successful athletic association. Remaining angry at our AD for making the decision to hire Collins when we do not know the circumstances is pointless anger.
I think firing TStan is the worst possible thing GT can do at this point. He gets it here and he's building a money base. I also imagine his hands were tied with hiring CGC. Even if he did make the sole decision to hire CGC, we all make bad decisions at times. I can see why CGC would be an attractive hire for him. TStan has always talked about how much he values branding and CGC is all about branding (too much).

Either way, he's the polar opposite of mbob.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Don’t think many will be at the 2022 games either
Let’s hope and pray the fans show up. I just don’t get Ga Tech fans and alumni. Tell me why would any good player would want to come to tech to play in a less than half empty stadium with one of the worst fanbase in all of college football. I’m not an alum but I’m a lifelong tech fan and it just pisses me off to look at the stadium when it’s half empty. In case y’all don’t know players get more pump and hyped and want to play harder when the stadiums more full and the place is going crazy. If time for the Tech nation to get behind this program Bc if your a true fan you should love them more when there down. Yes I get so pissed off when the lose and it ruins my whole day and sometimes my week but by god I’m a true fan because the next week I’m right back cheering my *** off for them. So the fans who say they want come back next year to see them play please never come back because your not a true fan.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Let’s hope and pray the fans show up. I just don’t get Ga Tech fans and alumni. Tell me why would any good player would want to come to tech to play in a less than half empty stadium with one of the worst fanbase in all of college football. I’m not an alum but I’m a lifelong tech fan and it just pisses me off to look at the stadium when it’s half empty. In case y’all don’t know players get more pump and hyped and want to play harder when the stadiums more full and the place is going crazy. If time for the Tech nation to get behind this program Bc if your a true fan you should love them more when there down. Yes I get so pissed off when the lose and it ruins my whole day and sometimes my week but by god I’m a true fan because the next week I’m right back cheering my *** off for them. So the fans who say they want come back next year to see them play please never come back because your not a true fan.
Yawn. Let's look at some figures. How large is the UGA alumni base? 340,000. How about Auburn? 225,000. How about Tennessee? 340,000. Compare that to Tech ... at 166,000. Add to that the fact that most Tech alumni are not local, and it's easy to begin to understand the attendance trend. When I first bought season tix, I drove 4 hours to park at Coca-Cola, watch the game and then ... drive 4 hours home. Poll a good portion of the fans in the stands, and I'll bet they aren't living nearby. BTW, attendance trends are really well documented ... if you are an urban school (like Tech), with a low alumni density rate living within 5 miles of campus (like Tech), you are likely to have lower than average attendance.

Vandy has many of the same characteristics as Tech and averages 26,000 to show up for a game. Add to that the fact that nearly all games are streamed now, and you can watch almost any game you want from your lounger. And many do.

If a player's criteria is to play in full 90,000+ seat stadiums, he needs to go to the SEC. We don't offer that.

Be careful about telling fans not to come back because they aren't "true fans". In my row, most of the "true fans" graduated Tech in the early 60's. Rain or shine they were there. Wives stopped coming because let's face it, they are older with friends at the club. Those "true fans" are approaching 80 now. Several have trouble getting up and down the steps in West. But they are there. And when they stop renewing ... it will hit ticket sales and it will hit the AT fund. So be careful what you wish for.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I’m tired of the FGC thread. What’s Next? What do you see the program doing to go forward?

I envision firing the DC ASAP. If this doesn’t happen at the end of the season I will begin to question the higher ups. Something HAS to change. Collins is supposed to be a D guy so why have we been atrocious on that side?

I don’t think Collins is gone until after next year unless he loses this team and we see mass transfers and loss of the high quality commitments. If Collins can hold onto the locker room and continue to improve the quality of our players, I am ok with the continuity BUT something has to be shaken up, correct?

I see us ending 3-9 and that’s unacceptable IMO. Yes games are close but we won against Duke when we shouldn’t have. I know people hate CDP but his scheme has set us up but the players haven’t made the plays. Can you say the same for Thacker? Also…do you think our quality of players has limited Thacker?

Any defense for him?

Lots of questions….

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I see us ending 3-9 and that’s unacceptable IMO.
Of course it's acceptable. You know why? You said it yourself ... "I don’t think Collins is gone until after next year".

Because there are no consequences, there is no reason to change. And TStan has almost no leverage over Collins because he has no funds with which to make a move. We are basically stuck like Chuck.

I think the Collins Experiment is over. He is not a good coach. And the reality (for him anyway), is the realization that he isn't going to get another job worth having after his performances at Temple (15-10) and Tech (9-25). Maybe MAC or Sun Belt. Maybe.

So, yes. I agree Collins is here through next year. If I were TStan, I would insist on a change in DC and be active in the search for a good one that can become a HC in waiting. And pay them. It will be far cheaper than the s&*t show we have shown so far. Restructure Collins contract and offer him 10 years remaining and make him AD for Football Operations. So he can play branding and run recruiting, but get him off the practice field and preferably not within 100 miles of BDS on game days.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The fans have always showed up when there was a product worth watching. Three wins a year has a tendency to empty out most stadiums.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
If we’re not able to get rid of Collins this year, I say let him decide what to do moving forward. When things aren’t going well and it’s too soon to can the HC, firing coordinators is the default solution of fans and media members who don’t really know what’s going on. If Collins is going to be here, I think he needs to own whatever solutions we try to put this this dumpster fire out. I like the suggestion of hiring a coordinator who has next HC potential, but if we do need to hire a coordinator, we’ll be lucky to any good coordinator who wants to volunteer to jump on this sinking ship.