Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
How many Tech fans are relieved tonight that they didn’t buy season tickets?
office-me.gif

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
If we lost to a top tier acc school last night, I'd complain less but it's the finding new ways to lose to schools that are below us, is what's really bothersome.

Anyways, coach deserves the heat from last night and sad that he is hiding from blame from some that. We can still improve , but after 2 years of this. It's really hard to imagine that if an entire off season couldn't fix these issues, that another couple of games will magically make things different

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
CGC would be a great talent GM. Great at connecting with players, recruiting, etc.

Not a head coach, bad management, game planning, etc.

Definitely feels like a Butch Jones situation now.. I think he needs to go this week and make Key head coach. Let him have a go at it since he seems more prepared and harder on kids.

Love Collins personality and energy but it is a position mismatch.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Well, the cpj fanboys are doing the same now, even rooting for us to lose hoping we hire a cpj disciple.
I am a bigtime fanboy of CPJ but NO I am not hoping we lose. I am hoping this is the kick in the nuts the recruiter needs to get his act together. His only chance is to switch into Dabo mode and get the best coaches possible. But I am afraid they are allready numb from all the previous kicking he has received and he does not notice it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
CGC would be a great talent GM. Great at connecting with players, recruiting, etc.

Not a head coach, bad management, game planning, etc.

Definitely feels like a Butch Jones situation now.. I think he needs to go this week and make Key head coach. Let him have a go at it since he seems more prepared and harder on kids.

Love Collins personality and energy but it is a position mismatch.
This reminds me od Eddie Haas. Braves players loved him, but he was not MLB material. The Braves fire him and go on to the World Series with Bobby Cox.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The shortcoming of the last 2 coaches was making proper staff choices. I'll reserve judgment until December. My personal motto is "Nothing was ever improved by maintaining the status quo." My opinion will be shaped by how, or if, things are changed after the season.

Scubapro

Banned
What do we all think about Patenaude and Thacker?
Well....I would tell you what I think of Patenaude but you know ...I don't have any stats to back up my opinion which is required per the mods. Regardless of his garbage coaching resume.
If you hold an opponent to 22 points you should win

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am a bigtime fanboy of CPJ but NO I am not hoping we lose. I am hoping this is the kick in the nuts the recruiter needs to get his act together. His only chance is to switch into Dabo mode and get the best coaches possible. But I am afraid they are allready numb from all the previous kicking he has received and he does not notice it.
I also loved the CPJ years and also would love to see this coach turn it around. As naive as that sounds. There are just so many things wrong with this program right now.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
What do we all think about Patenaude and Thacker?
Now that I’ve slept on the result, I didn’t think patenaude had a bad game. We had some wide open receivers that we flat out missed. I’m not sure if Sims was just tight in the first quarter or if he just hasn’t developed. Tech could have easily scored 14 points in the first quarter, but you can’t perform that poorly at the QB position. Giving away those points really changed the game.

As for Thacker, I was a little disappointed how NIU ran the ball on us, but our D needed to step up on one of their drives and hold them to a FG. Besides those drives, NIU wasn’t really moving the ball.

I’m very disappointed that we continue to start games very slowly in games where we need to assert our dominance.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
On a side note, it is worth noting that Gibbs looked below average. Even when he started running he looked half the speed as last year. Maybe they bottled him up. But it was concerning that our best player didn’t even make it interesting

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Doing some digging into CGC’s contract will lead you to these facts…

+ 7 year deal worth 23.1 million
+ He is in year 3 currently, making 3.2 million
+ If he is fired within the first four years, he will get all 23.1 million.
+ If he is fired after year 4, he will get 2.4 per year for the years remaining on the 7 year contract.

In conclusion, if we fire him this year, we would fork out 13.8 million. If he is fired at the end of next season (at the end of 4 years) his buyout would be 7.2 million. He isn’t going to get fired this year; that’s a lot of money that I don’t think will be put up or raised. Financially, it’s smarter to wait until the end of next season to can him. That means we may have to deal with this for 23 more games….

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
The shortcoming of the last 2 coaches was making proper staff choices. I'll reserve judgment until December. My personal motto is "Nothing was ever improved by maintaining the status quo." My opinion will be shaped by how, or if, things are changed after the season.
The last coach had to scrape the bargain bin and had the same boosters that hired collins push roof on him

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Doing some digging into CGC’s contract will lead you to these facts…

+ 7 year deal worth 23.1 million
+ He is in year 3 currently, making 3.2 million
+ If he is fired within the first four years, he will get all 23.1 million.
+ If he is fired after year 4, he will get 2.4 per year for the years remaining on the 7 year contract.

In conclusion, if we fire him this year, we would fork out 13.8 million. If he is fired at the end of next season (at the end of 4 years) his buyout would be 7.2 million. He isn’t going to get fired this year; that’s a lot of money that I don’t think will be put up or raised. Financially, it’s smarter to wait until the end of next season to can him. That means we may have to deal with this for 23 more games….
The money never makes sense to do a buyout - and yet teams do it, because there’s a point where the long term damage outweighs the short term cost. We’re not at that point yet. Lose to KSU ? I think you’re there. Have a 1-2 win season, which seems very possible now, and I think you are there. But then I said it last year too (about this coming season). Willie Taggart had a better outlook than CGC does right now.

Doddjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I have been a steady Ga Tech fan for 50+ years. I cannot remember being so disappointed in a loss and the state of our football program.

Apparently hype, and pizazz trump substance in our program. Hats off to our players for their effort. Last night was a failure of Xs and Os, a failure to prepare our team, and a killer for our recruiting. As much as I enjoyed our Paul Johnson era and the triple option when it was clicking, the program had run " out of steam" and it was time for a change.

Hats off to the NIU team. They deserved to win. They were the better team, better coached, better prepared team last night.

Unfortunately we need a new coach.