Financial Problems

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IMO, the announcement would be made within the week following the ACC Tournament.

Seems like in the past, lot of the speculation on candidates and even some interviews took place during the NCAA tournament.

Just my memory of how things went down in the past.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
if it happens this year I would expect it to happen within 48 hours of the end of the ACC Tourney ending on Sunday. That is the general timeline.
You don't take away from the ACC Tourney (considered to be quite the improper form) and you do it before the NCAA Tourney commences.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this. Despite his inability to produce a winning product, he's represented the school with class, and I think he's a well liked individual. You don't ditch a guy like that midseason.

Traditionally, you don't fire coaches mid season. Traditionally you also don't publicly say you are considering firing them and telling them how to do their job like our AD did last spring. If it reaches a point where it is obvious this season cannot be a significant improvement over last year, then I could easily see it being done as a message to the fans that the AD is committed to turning around the program, even if it is mostly a token gesture. I doubt it happens, because I think we will beat Wake and BC, but there is a scenario where I could see it happening. And GT has fired coaches mid season before so it isn't unheard of.

I see absolutely no scenario where we wait to fire him after the NCAA tournament for basketball reasons. Only way we wait that long is if we decide to not fire him and then something happens to force us to afterwards.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Was listening to Chuck and Chernoff on 680 just now. They had MBob on and he mentioned we have raised $276 million from private donors for the athletic fund.. what?? I thought we were cash strapped? Did anyone else catch it too?

He also cleverly dodged a question of whether CBG will be gone at the end of the season. However, he didn't support him or stick up for him or anything. I think he's gone after the ACC tourney this time..

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Was listening to Chuck and Chernoff on 680 just now. They had MBob on and he mentioned we have raised $276 million from private donors or something like that.. what?? I thought we were cash strapped? Did anyone else catch it too?
I didn't listen, but I would bet that includes a combination of facilities that have already been built and spin doctoring.

The issue with us being able to afford a new coach or paying out BG & Hewitt's buyouts has never been about if sufficient cash was in a bank account. The issue has always been if MBob was going to be allowed to use it. Last year, the powers that have oversight over use of funds did not allow him to use it.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think we are still at a point where the outcome of our season is still in doubt. Our record is 13-11 and we have seven league games, plus an ACC Tournament game yet to play. Maybe more than one game in the ACCT. Three of our next four games are against teams on the NCAA bubble: @Clemson, @FSU, and Clemson at home, with a home game against ND as the other. We could lose all four or win all four. I would not count on the latter, but you cannot say that any of those games are out of our reach.

What are our chances of getting an NIT bid with a record of 17-16 and an RPI in the 70s? If that happens, I think CBG will have done what Bobinski challenged him to do. Would he still fire him and eat the buyout?

Of course, I do not think that we will win three more of our final league games. Also, if attendance for our final three home games is similar to the last two, we will lose close to half a million dollars in revenue. With CBG still here next season and the roster loses we will have, it could get ugly.

It will be interesting, but I would not put any money on either outcome.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we are still at a point where the outcome of our season is still in doubt. Our record is 13-11 and we have seven league games, plus an ACC Tournament game yet to play. Maybe more than one game in the ACCT. Three of our next four games are against teams on the NCAA bubble: @Clemson, @FSU, and Clemson at home, with a home game against ND as the other. We could lose all four or win all four. I would not count on the latter, but you cannot say that any of those games are out of our reach.

What are our chances of getting an NIT bid with a record of 17-16 and an RPI in the 70s? If that happens, I think CBG will have done what Bobinski challenged him to do. Would he still fire him and eat the buyout?

Of course, I do not think that we will win three more of our final league games. Also, if attendance for our final three home games is similar to the last two, we will lose close to half a million dollars in revenue. With CBG still here next season and the roster loses we will have, it could get ugly.

It will be interesting, but I would not put any money on either outcome.
I would say next to zero. Very few .500ish BCS conference teams are invited nowadays. And a .500ish team with no attendance and an iffy coaching situation is certainly not going to be invited.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

There is no way that an NIT bid should save or even come close to saving gregory's job.

Maybe if this team were full of young guys then you could make an argument but not for this one

75% of our scoring, 67% of our rebounds, 41% of our assists, and 61% of our minutes come from seniors. With that heavy of a senior laden team in year 5 an NCAA berth should be assumed. An NIT berth, especially coming off the previous years that haven't provided much reasons to look on the brightside, shouldn't be enough. And the new faces, talking about both recruits and the guys who are redshirtting, while better than it has been, has not been overly remarkable for an ACC team.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The more I think about the financial hit we could take next season if we have the same attendance throughout the ACC schedule next year that we felt recently in this season, I am beginning to think we might pull the trigger. It could pay half or more of CBG's buyout if the new coach could stimulate enough interest in the program to get as few as 2000 more butts in seats for each game. That would still be less than full at McCamish.

The average ticket price for our nine ACC home games this year is about $50. A couple of those games the opponents' fans buy up a lot of tickets, but lets say seven games at 2000 empty seats at $50 would be a pretty simple calculation even for a uga freshman. With concessions we're talking more than $800K. I think even Donald Trump thinks that is serious money.

These numbers are not far fetched either. The Miami game attendance was 5100 and the Wake game had 5500. That means not many people are seeing our games right now. A good bit of that is the buzz has completely left the program and it will not return next season unless we make some changes.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Gregory historically bad at GT
Tech Basketball coach Brian Gregory now owns the third worst modern ACC record of any coach with more than two seasons.
So the Team wins 4 of last 7, saying we win 1 of 2 in ACCT and 3 of 5 left in regular season, then where does that put him?

Just goes to show how a schedule can work against you. If we started with the end of the schedule at the beginning and we're sitting at 4-4 in ACC play half way thru, then the mob is not forming to burn him at the stake, stone him, or whatever your preferred method of putting him out of his misery is. I think he's done what was expected up to this point based on what was probably discussed with the AD. Now if the Team doesn't win another game, then that's another story. I would think firing would be ok if that happened.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
At this point, whether we win the next 4 games or lose them is not the question. I'm concerned about the next 4 years and in my opinion we need to fire CBG and move on to another coach if this program has a chance of turning around. With that being said, we can't just change for the sake of changing.