Financial Problems

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I keep reading posts about the problems Tech has money wise. This would be one of the reasons we have firing Gregory and still paying off Hewitt which would be in the 1.5 mm a year for both lasting the next 2 years, I think. Tech is on the hook for Johnson at slightly less than 3 million yr. for the next 5 seasons and apparently will not be let go.I do realize that another BB coach will have to be hired. Tech has financed McCamish and improvements to BDS for how many years? I guess my question is how did Tech arrive with less money coming in, than going out, and do you/we believe that money is a problem??

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Currently GT would owe Gregory $1.3MM after this season in buyout money and Hewitt $2.7MM.

Johnson's current contract runs through 2020 and would pay him the full value of the remaining contract through 2017. After that it is $1M per year for each yr remaining on the contract. (so basically he is completely safe until after the 2017 season).

Money is definately an issue, and frankly one of the AA's own making for the most part. They seem to think the only way they can retain coaches is to put large buyouts in their contracts - I think this is very short sighted and self defeating. Basic says the AA doesn't believe strongly in its brand.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The buyout will be paid and we will have a new inexpensive basketball coach next year. Unless he wins the ACC tournament, he will be let go on selection Sunday or the Monday after.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I know its been mentioned but couldn't it possibly cause our AA more financial problems by not fixing the problem???

Ticket sales will definitely continue to decline if he's retained...I would think there's some big donors that aren't exactly willing to pony up while he's around either.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
The buyout will be paid and we will have a new inexpensive basketball coach next year. Unless he wins the ACC tournament, he will be let go on selection Sunday or the Monday after.
Is this your feel or you know it to be a probability due to an inside source?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

This sounds like speculation. I honestly hope it's not true. To change for the sake of change is a terrible plan to re-invent this program. If you're gonna do the thing, do it right.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Unless that inexpensive person is Haase that is.

I could possibly be convinced if it's Boals or Payne as well, maybe.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This sounds like speculation. I honestly hope it's not true. To change for the sake of change is a terrible plan to re-invent this program. If you're gonna do the thing, do it right.

I agree. Don't change just to change if you cannot make a legit change that you really want. All you do is keep yourself in the same cycle.
only make the change when you have the flexibility to make the hire you need, not the hire you have to make.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

I assume you mean Gregory will be let go on selection Sunday...or do you mean the new inexpensive coach will be at the end of next season, once we have money to afford a more expensive one?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

It's very much speculation. I do have a source that told me they were targeting next year, but I feel like the decision for a change will get expedited.

The inexpensive coach is unfortunately just the route I believe we will take.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I assume you mean Gregory will be let go on selection Sunday...or do you mean the new inexpensive coach will be at the end of next season, once we have money to afford a more expensive one?

Gregory will be let go on selection Sunday. Last year I was 80% certain. Now I'm 99%

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

It won't be on selection Sunday. For GTech to try and overshadow the ACCCG AND the selection show would not be rcvd well. There is also nothing in the administration that says they are in a big hurry to.........do........annnnnnyyyyything. If BG is let go it would probably be within a couple weeks of the end of the season. Have to have time to hopefully know if your top targets reciprocate any interest.

I wouldn't be surprised that if it were to happen (I don't believe it will) it would be after the conclusion of the NCAAT

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Barring a late season miracle there is no argument for bringing gregoy back so there would be no reason to wait beyond the morning after selection sunday to send him packing. It's not like if our top choice says no we're going to want gregory back anyways. I think it's more likely we fire him before the season ends, say if we lose to BC, than it is we wait until after the NCAAT.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It won't be on selection Sunday. For GTech to try and overshadow the ACCCG AND the selection show would not be rcvd well. There is also nothing in the administration that says they are in a big hurry to.........do........annnnnnyyyyything. If BG is let go it would probably be within a couple weeks of the end of the season. Have to have time to hopefully know if your top targets reciprocate any interest.

I wouldn't be surprised that if it were to happen (I don't believe it will) it would be after the conclusion of the NCAAT

It won't be announced on Sunday, but that doesn't mean it won't happen on Sunday.