Final Four Games

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think these final four games are where we may actually see if this team is progressing or not. Despite how bad we’ve looked at times up until now, the schedule has been quite brutal. We were never really going to have a chance against UCF, Clemson, or ND. We split the other four games at 2-2...which honestly may not be that unreasonable. Now what we have left is a different story. If we eliminate mistakes we can realistically beat Pitt, Duke, and NC State. Miami is probably another L. To me, 2-2 would be an ok result, but I think going 3-1 over the stretch could build some real momentum going into next year. If we come out of this stretch at 1-3 or 0-4 then I’ll have a hard time being convinced that we are improving as a team.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think these final four games are where we may actually see if this team is progressing or not. Despite how bad we’ve looked at times up until now, the schedule has been quite brutal. We were never really going to have a chance against UCF, Clemson, or ND. We split the other four games at 2-2...which honestly may not be that unreasonable. Now what we have left is a different story. If we eliminate mistakes we can realistically beat Pitt, Duke, and NC State. Miami is probably another L. To me, 2-2 would be an ok result, but I think going 3-1 over the stretch could build some real momentum going into next year. If we come out of this stretch at 1-3 or 0-4 then I’ll have a hard time being convinced that we are improving as a team.

Besides the actual record, I will also look to see if we pass the eyeball test in terms of penalties, turnovers,etc. (I have completely abandoned hope of our FG and XP units). If we go deep into the 4th quarter (esp. Miami) and look disciplined that will earn some bonus points as well. But I have to admit, I would be sick to lose to Duke again (words an older Tech fan never imagined typing in his own lifetime).

slugboy

Staff member
(Great post!)
NC State is probably the most improved team in the ACC.
1. I’m glad for our bye week. We need it
2. Pitt and NCST will be tough outs. Wins against either of them or Miami will be positive signs
3. I’m not worried about the offense, but I’ll watch the offensive line and TE position for progress there
4. I’ll be looking all over the defense. The one place I really want to see progress is in the middle of our secondary. I’ll watch the interior DL a lot though
5. I’m more watching for most of the players doing well on defense with the idea we’ll fill in the rest next season
6. I’m much more focused on the small things than the overall result. (Sorry, I’m at the “moral victory” stage)

Deleted member 2897

Our offense scored 2 TDs or more only 6 times last season out of 11 FBS games. We have improved a lot this year. Unfortunately we were so bad last year that an improvement this big only gets us back part way. Hopefully we can win a few more this season.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Our offense scored 2 TDs or more only 6 times last season out of 11 FBS games. We have improved a lot this year. Unfortunately we were so bad last year that an improvement this big only gets us back part way. Hopefully we can win a few more this season.

Fair enough - I was referring to in-season game-to-game improvement.

Maybe we get some good practice in, get a little more healthy and the season pivots after the bye week.

/

Deleted member 2897

Fair enough - I was referring to in-season game-to-game improvement.

/

Fair enough to your fair enough. 😃. I was speaking generically and not replying to you. But on that subject, it feels hard to see improvement in the last few games because we just played 3 of the top 5 defenses in the ACC and 2 of the top 4 teams in the country.

slugboy

Staff member
So where have we seen progression/improvement so far this season?

What position group?

I hope your right, but I have nothing to go on other than hope.

/
Compared to last year
Running back, clearly
Offensive line
Arguably QB (we argue this every week, so I’m comfortable saying “arguably” 😁)
Cornerback (shedding blocks on running plays is my biggest concern)
Defensive end

Edit: @Fatmike91 I wrote this before I saw your post about in-season
I’d still say CB and QB. I’m tempted to give OL a pass comparing our season start to the murderer’s row we’ve had lately

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Compared to last year
Running back, clearly
Offensive line
Arguably QB (we argue this every week, so I’m comfortable saying “arguably” 😁)
Cornerback (shedding blocks on running plays is my biggest concern)
Defensive end
I agree with this and add:

We need more size and ability in the middle of our defensive line.
We need more talent at LB, especially in the middle. But, we definitely need more speed at that spot.

Curry has been the subject of a lot of negative comments on the board that I feel is undeserved. I think our coaches have given him an assignment that he is carrying out to their satisfaction. Otherwise they would have benched him. I think he is too slow afoot, but I like him as a player who gives effort. Saying he just stands around is not fair.

Deleted member 2897

I agree with this and add:

We need more size and ability in the middle of our defensive line.
We need more talent at LB, especially in the middle. But, we definitely need more speed at that spot.

Curry has been the subject of a lot of negative comments on the board that I feel is undeserved. I think our coaches have given him an assignment that he is carrying out to their satisfaction. Otherwise they would have benched him. I think he is too slow afoot, but I like him as a player who gives effort. Saying he just stands around is not fair.

I would encourage you to watch a replay of the game and isolate your focus on him. The vast majority of the plays, he’s either blitzing or following the play and going into the line to try and make a play. Either way, he just gets sucked up in the wash and lost. Notre Dame ran the ball 45 times and Curry had 2 solo tackles.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I would encourage you to watch a replay of the game and isolate your focus on him. The vast majority of the plays, he’s either blitzing or following the play and going into the line to try and make a play. Either way, he just gets sucked up in the wash and lost. Notre Dame ran the ball 45 times and Curry had 2 solo tackles.
I do not disagree with you at all, but repetitive negative comments about a player doing his best, even if that is not adequate, gets old. If we had a better player for that position I do not think Thacker would have him on the bench. If I am not correct, the negativity should be directed at someone other than Curry.

Deleted member 2897

I do not disagree with you at all, but repetitive negative comments about a player doing his best, even if that is not adequate, gets old. If we had a better player for that position I do not think Thacker would have him on the bench. If I am not correct, the negativity should be directed at someone other than Curry.

Keep in mind, Curry may be doing EXACTLY what he's being coached to do. I think we have to assume he is, otherwise he wouldn't be in the game. My main point here is that the coaching staff is not putting people like him in a position to be successful. If you see plays where he doesn't run into the line, he's very successful with making plays.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Keep in mind, Curry may be doing EXACTLY what he's being coached to do. I think we have to assume he is, otherwise he wouldn't be in the game. My main point here is that the coaching staff is not putting people like him in a position to be successful. If you see plays where he doesn't run into the line, he's very successful with making plays.
Curry is not the best linebacker we have but he is the most knowledgeable and best leader we have at that position and that is why he is in. If you listen to the coaches and media talk about him it is always that no one prepares, studies, and works harder than Curry, but they rarely say anything about how good he plays on the field. I think he is just a better coach and leader than he is a player. As the middle LB he is the QB of the defense and I don't think we have a LB knowledgeable enough to surpass him from that standpoint, which is why he plays so much. Don't get me wrong, he does some things that make you scream at him cause he takes himself out of plays (I yelled at him through my TV a few times this last game), but more often than not he is in position to make the play based on his knowledge and prep but just can't finish. I'm betting one day we will see him on Sundays but It will be as a coach not a player.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Never gonna have a chance against UCF? We were down like 4 defensive starters, had to scrap an entire position group on offense, and we’re still down 1 score in the 4th. Give us our full roster and we probably win that game.

Duke and NCSU are must wins. Believe State lost their QB a few weeks ago that was giving them hope this season. Those are both bad football clubs.

Pitt is beatable but it’s gonna have to be a low scoring 1 possession game. And CGC hasn’t given me much faith yet to be able to manage a game like that.

Miami is likely a L but certainly not conceding it yet. We’ll have a better chance going in than we did last year when we stole the W.

2-2 is a minimum for me to be happy. 4-7 still looks ugly but it would be an improvement from last year. We honestly need to go 3-1 though. We need a decent narrative to sell to recruits. And we don’t have one right now.

Last edited:

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Here is the thing. We beat FSU and lost 2. We beat Louisville and then lost 3. So we are due for a win!

In all seriousness though I think we are improved from last year, however I have not seen improvement DURING this season. We are so hot and cold that I don't think we win another game unless it is a shocker like we did Miami last year.

Deleted member 2897

Here is the thing. We beat FSU and lost 2. We beat Louisville and then lost 3. So we are due for a win!

In all seriousness though I think we are improved from last year, however I have not seen improvement DURING this season. We are so hot and cold that I don't think we win another game unless it is a shocker like we did Miami last year.

We worked hard last year against Miami and pulled a rabbit out of a hat - our offense scored 7 points in regulation that game. 7. And we won.

Deleted member 2897

1-3 over the last 4 games is my prediction.

3-8.

Improvement! 1 less loss than last year!

giphy.gif