Final Four Games

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Duke has been our kryptonite for the last like 10 years so I have very little faith every year that we will beat them. Hahahaha. I always just chalk that game up to a loss no matter what.
Entirely possible that their one really good game would come against us. We will see. UNC ran them slap dab off the field.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
At this point I would be happy with 1 win and starting planning for next yr.
You may be about to get just that. Another 3 win season is definitely in the cards. I was kind of hoping we might pull off a win against Pitt but that game they had against FSU discourages that thought. They had something like 5 or so sacks in the first half and FSU completed 12 (?) passes for 32 or so yards. How is that possible?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You may be about to get just that. Another 3 win season is definitely in the cards. I was kind of hoping we might pull off a win against Pitt but that game they had against FSU discourages that thought. They had something like 5 or so sacks in the first half and FSU completed 12 (?) passes for 32 or so yards. How is that possible?

FSU was 23/41 for 144 yards passing against Pitt Saturday. Conversely, I do know a team that only completed 5 passes for 40 yards against uga last November...

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
7 sacks and 14 TFL per ESPN. FSU is garbage this year.
FSU is garbage but that does not take away how good PITT is up front. This will be a very difficult game for our oline. PITT just got their QB back as well. I'm not too optimistic about this game. I hope we can keep it competitive. In my opinion let's continue to play more of the young guys and jump start their development.

zzzboy25

Georgia Tech Fan
FSU is garbage but that does not take away how good PITT is up front. This will be a very difficult game for our oline. PITT just got their QB back as well. I'm not too optimistic about this game. I hope we can keep it competitive. In my opinion let's continue to play more of the young guys and jump start their development.
PITT..did look good. That's not going to be a cake walk...Also I've been hearing about,: This is a Covid year that's why we're not doing our best". But aren't all school under Covid watch and having a difficult year..I believe this is a Coaching season, meaning the best coaching is being highlighted this year! Or Good coaching is coming to the Fore front

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Oh I agree. My point was not to denigrate Pitt's D. They are ranked 34th in DFEI in 2020 so far. They aren't a bad defense. We are 74th, and we had 3 sacks and 6 TFL against FSU, or about half what Pitt did. Their DL will be a major problem for our young and relatively inexperienced OL.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
7 sacks and 14 TFL per ESPN. FSU is garbage this year.
Thanks, as a liberal arts major in college my grasp of math is limited to a lot or a little. What you presented in true precise Tech man manner is to my way of thinking "a lot". But then FSU is "a little" so there is that. Recall when Chan's Jackets went blitz crazy one night on number 5 ranked Miami and totaled 9 sacks in a memorable upset that also featured, as I recall, a typically ridiculous Calvin TD grab.

Last edited:

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Losing to Duke would not be a good sign of "progress". They are worse than bad. Gibbs maybe 150+?

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
So do you think next year will be the year we start being competitive?
I thought this year was going to be the year we start getting competitive since Collins would have one year of recruits and the players learning his system. HOWEVER, then covid happened and the players didn't get a regular training camp and all that. So it is really hard to judge this year, I definitely think next year is the first year we can really judge Collins and the coaches to see if we are making progress. If we aren't competitive next year I think we are in trouble.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought this year was going to be the year we start getting competitive since Collins would have one year of recruits and the players learning his system. HOWEVER, then covid happened and the players didn't get a regular training camp and all that. So it is really hard to judge this year, I definitely think next year is the first year we can really judge Collins and the coaches to see if we are making progress. If we aren't competitive next year I think we are in trouble.
Collins did improve the recruiting but we did not bring in a bunch of 5 stars who were ready day 1. I think Gibbs is the only one who was truly ready day 1. I would have liked to have Sims and Williams sit this year but we did not have that luxury. I did expect to be better defensively with the guys we have returning. I know at times the offense has put the defense in bad positions but we have given up way too many big plays to teams that aren't good offensively. I am hoping that the experience the young guys are getting this year bodes well for next year. I hope at some point to see more of the freshman LBs.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The Covid year excuse is really weak. Every team is playing under those conditions. Bottom line is we should show some progress over the next four games. If we lay 3-4 eggs then it’s going to look pretty bad.

And yeah, it’s not all wins and losses. But for starters, let’s not be down 14 in the first quarter against Pitt, Duke, or NC State. Then maybe just play three highly competitive games against those teams. Do that and results will follow. But I’m not sure what to expect...