Final 2014 Season Predictions

Wofford W
Tulane W
GSU W (only because of the coaching change)
VT L (best defense in Years)
Miami L (even though they lost a lot they still have better athletes)
Duke 65% L (Coach Cut will be the one playing chess)
UNC 55% L (not sure why we own them but its time for things to even out a bit)
Pitt W (they lost a lot!)
UVA W
NCS L (the bowl street ends in 2014)
CLEM L (athletes and coaching)
UGA L (athletes athletes athletes)
What is a "bowl street"?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I like to do percentages as well...

95%....Aug. 30 WOFFORD (cupcake)
90%....Sept. 6 at Tulane (on the road, but should be over quick)
85%....Sept. 13 GEORGIA SOUTHERN (could stumble if we don't come out with some fire. I imagine Southern will have some fans in the stands too)
*45%....Sept. 20 at Virginia Tech (will be a toss-up low scoring game as usual)
*50%....Oct. 4 MIAMI (I don't by the hype. toos-up)
75%....Oct. 11 DUKE (no confidence in Duke to hang with us)
55%....Oct. 18 at North Carolina (we've had some bounces each of the last 4 years to sneak buy with wins)
*65%....Oct. 25 at Pitt (Don't anticipate them giving us much trouble)
*75%....Nov. 1 VIRGINIA (Homecoming softball)
*70%....Nov. 8 at NC State (Shouldn't be a problem)
*40%....Nov. 15 CLEMSON (Hoping their QB situation doesn't result in the next Boyd. Their DL will be tough to deal with)
35%....Nov. 29 at Georgia (Sadly)

That puts us in the nieghborhood of 8-4 (5-3) which I think sounds about right. Asterisks for games I should be in attendance for.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Didn't we put up 31 on them?

It was 41-17 midway thru the third.

I just watched the game the other day and they dominated us that day up front...that defense gave us a lot of problems. Just go back and watch the film.

Thank the lord for Godhigh...he was basically our offense.

I understand the argument that we put up 400 yards and 31 points but if you watch the first three quarters on film again you will see the problems they gave us.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer

I just watched the game the other day and they dominated us that day up front...that defense gave us a lot of problems. Just go back and watch the film.

I understand the argument that we put up 400 yards and 31 points but if you watch the first three quarters on film again you will see the problems they gave us.
Ah that makes sense. I don't remember much about the game because I couldn't watch it all. It was too frustrating. I thought we were down 31-24 or something and then they ran away. Sounds like we got whooped from the get go.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Aug. 30 Wofford - WIN Should be eleventy-million to 3 final score. If it's close, I am officially worried.
Sept. 6 at Tulane - WIN This game might be closer than expected (maybe only win by a TD) because of a jacked up team opening their new stadium. Still thinking we win by 2 td's.
Sept. 13 Georgia Southern - WIN The only thing that worries me about this game is how many GaSo fans flood the stadium. Otherwise, this is still a team that two years ago was an FCS team.
Sept. 20 at Virginia Tech - WIN By God, we're due to win a close game. VT's offense being in disarray and the losses on D only helps.
Sept. 27 OPEN We always win the Bye weeks....
Oct. 4 Miami - LOSS I've always felt like we don't generally match up well against Miami. We face uga/Clemson talent yet don't have enough history with them to have that "rivalry" equalizer. Hoping this changes soon.
Oct. 11 Duke - WIN They're still Dook until proven otherwise...
Oct. 18 at North Carolina - TOSS UP L. My intellect says we are the better team but my gut says they're due for a surprise W.
Oct. 25 at Pitt - WIN New everything and the old version wasn't that good.
Nov. 1 UVA - WIN Get the kerosene ready. This team is a dumpster fire waiting to happen. I don't see London surviving the 2014 season.
Nov. 8 at NC State - WIN I don't foresee NCSU being a real threat this year.
Nov. 15 Clemson - TOSS UP
Nov. 22 OPEN
Nov. 29 at georgie - TOSS UP

So, 8-2 with two true toss ups. 8-4, 9-3 & 10-2 are all extremely realistic. I'll split the difference and say 9-3.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clemson's DL just dominated.... I will also say our Offensive team played a little "dazzaled" in the first 4 series and we clearly had the wrong shoes as everyone was slipping.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Ah that makes sense. I don't remember much about the game because I couldn't watch it all. It was too frustrating. I thought we were down 31-24 or something and then they ran away. Sounds like we got whooped from the get go.

Got behind early and never caught up.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

No doubt, I went in recently and watched it again :( My only question is how is Clemson going to replace the proven offensive talent from last year. I'm not saying they won't have good athletes but a whole lot of production is gone to the NFL. I marked this game as a W but only because it is a home game, historically Tech has played Clemson close and usually comes out on the winning side.

There's a lot of optimism around here, but after last year I'm setting my standards as low as possible.

Wofford-W--easy win
@Tulane-W--win by 10+ points
Ga So-W--win by 20+
@VT-L--lose by a field goal
Miami-L--lose, but barely. Offense unable to do much.
Duke-L--Duke stays hot and gives us our worse beating at home this year
@UNC-L--UNC receivers and Ryan Switzer have a field day against our soft coverage
@Pitt-L--lose, but barely
UVA-W--beat UVA no problem to snap 5 game losing streak
@NC State-W--win this but not by much.
Clemson-L--Comeback falls short
@UGA-L--lose by 21+ D-line depth too weak to stop Gurley and Marshall. UGA wideouts have field day.

5-7 (2-6) bowl streak ends. Alums angry. CPJ is axed.

Prove me wrong

That is EXACTLY as I see it unfolding, unfortunately. And several of these losses have the potential of being embarrassments. It is unrealistic to expect us to be injury-free all season, and we have several positions where even one ding here and there has dire consequences. We are inexperienced and intend (as I read it) on playing true freshmen fairly liberally. Hope I am wrong. Key disclaimer: if we can get a win in Blacksburg it might be the spark we need for the rest of the year.

And those will be the problems that every physically gifted, fast and big defensive lines will give us until we can prove that we can pass at a efficient rate. It leaves us every year with four or five games that we have limited opportunity to win. I am not sure we are yet to the point where we can go toe-to-toe with any of the stronger teams on our schedule. As you point out, we can garner our 400 yards and still the game was never in doubt from the middle of the first quarter.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The Offense, if executed better, would have been able to overcome the stronger DL. There was a lot of missed blocks on the outside and missed reads.

Clemson made some great passes despite good coverage.

Yeah. Three deep perfect passes with good coverage killed us. A little offensive push off, not called, on two of them also helped. These were extremely well executed pass plays, almost impossible to stop. Not likely to see three in a game like these. Great athletic plays by the receivers as well as great throws. Only way to have stopped these would have been a better pass rush. In a "typical" game IMO these passes are incomplete and the whole game would have been different....but "that is why we play the game".

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Aug. 30 WOFFORD-W
Sept. 6 at Tulane-W
Sept. 13 GEORGIA SOUTHERN-W
Sept. 20 at Virginia Tech-W
Sept. 27 OPEN
Oct. 4 MIAMI-L
Oct. 11 DUKE-W
Oct. 18 at North Carolina-L
Oct. 25 at Pitt-W
Nov. 1 VIRGINIA-W
Nov. 8 at NC State-W
Nov. 15 CLEMSON-L
Nov. 22 OPEN
Nov. 29 at Georgia-L

Your typical 8-4 season. 5-3 conference record puts us in a tie for first in the coastal, but VT goes as always.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I rewatched some of the '13 Clemson game (it's on youtube if anybodys interested). Their DL definitely played well - Jarrett (NT) and Beasley (DE) (both returning) are two of ther better linemen in the country. They also were cheating their DBs in for the run on the 1st for possessions. We didn't adjjust to that until the last 2 series in the 1st half when we started hitting some quick-outs to WRs and Godhigh in the seams - marched about 140 yards on those last two drives of the half - but we had already given up 27 on D. They also benifted from so timely throws by Boyd - he hit a 50 yard pass on 3rd and 18 in the 1st quarter and a 76 yard TD on 2nd and long as well. They were the better team, but there were a couple plays in that game that we could have made to make it a fight.

Another thing that stood out when rewatching was how slow Vad was running the option. He can move in the open field, but it looked so labored everytime he came out of the mesh. And he would always string plays out rather than hit the pitch early - granted there probably weren't many holes he missed the way Clemson was on top of the run. We lose a lot of "falling forward" yards with JT, but it will be refreshing to see somebody with quickness under center forcing defenses to react quicker.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Aug. 30 WOFFORD-W
Sept. 6 at Tulane-W
Sept. 13 GEORGIA SOUTHERN-W
Sept. 20 at Virginia Tech-W
Sept. 27 OPEN
Oct. 4 MIAMI-L
Oct. 11 DUKE-W
Oct. 18 at North Carolina-L
Oct. 25 at Pitt-W
Nov. 1 VIRGINIA-W
Nov. 8 at NC State-W
Nov. 15 CLEMSON-L
Nov. 22 OPEN
Nov. 29 at Georgia-L

Your typical 8-4 season. 5-3 conference record puts us in a tie for first in the coastal, but VT goes as always.

This is mine as well..Although I see us beating Miami and losing some other game.