Film Study - TECH on Offense vs UGAg

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just finished watching every offensive series in slow motion, stopping to watch each play a few times in order to see what went right and wrong. I have to say I feel like our guys did well. We left some points on the field, though, with errors at critical times. Obviously, this is a game we could / should have won. By the end of this writing that should be painfully clear if it isn't already.

UGA came out in pretty much a straight 5-2 alignment with the back 4 all lined up across the field at about 8 yards off the line, effectively putting 9 in the box. I say 5-2 because the OLBs in their 3-4 were basically at the LOS on the outside shoulder of the DEs. The MLBs were opposite the OGs about 4 yards back. One interesting tactic they used was to line up the entire DL about a yard back from the neutral zone in an effort to gain an advantage against the cut blocks on the interior. It looked kind of odd truthfully. I think they may have been the first team to do that. They tried to crash the A gap with a blitzing MLB occasionally, but had a much harder time than prior opponents timing our snap counts, so it wasn't nearly as effective. They obviously tried to keep it simple for them and just letting them play from that single formation. The only time they changed was in 3rd and long type situations where the safeties backed off. We countered this defense by doing a lot of zone blocking and giving them unbalanced OLs and bunched formations with the WRs pulled in. It worked to a great degree on the interior where our OLs were very effective, but less so on the perimeter.

When I counted numbers with the unbalanced OL to the field side, it gave us an apparent numerical advantage every time. However, it didn't really materialize on the edges like it appeared it should. There were two recurring problems in that formation that may have cost us the game. First off, the WR on the weak side TE position got blown up regularly allowing the backside DE or OLB to make plays. Secondly, when toss sweeps went wide to the side with an advantage, pulling OLs repeatedly ran past would be tacklers heading for the second level resulting in a surplus of gold helmets out there with nobody to block. Those had to be assignment busts. It was really quite maddening. When you count the numbers, they weren't needed out there, they already had an extra guy. The primary LBs in pursuit needed to get whacked and weren't. Several crucial plays during the game were blown up this way, not with a defender beating a block, but instead being passed up in favor of air further down field. I know our offensive scheme is more complicated for the blockers. It is hard to routinely pass up certain players and always make the right decisions. OLs in traditional offenses don't really have that dilemma because nobody is being optioned off. Still, these errors were costly and needed to be executed better.

IMHO, the game swung on a few critical plays. I will list them in chronological order. 1. first half possession in the RZ, toss sweep was blown up as described above resulting in FG try. 2. Late in first half, with a 20-0 lead and just a few minutes to go before the break, a seemingly harmless option play went for 7 as Vad took the wrong option and kept. Viewing it live, it looked like a good play because of the gain. In slow motion it revealed that their LBs had BOTH gone for Vad (who cut inside of them) leaving Godhigh all alone for the pitch. There were only 2 defenders left on that entire side of the field, each with a gold helmet on them well away from the ball. A pitch there goes for 40 at least (think Clemson or UVA) and totally changes the complexion of the first half. It could have been the knock out blow. 3. Missed FG, nuff said. 4. Horrible decision on pick by Vad. 5. The toss to RG in OT2 that got blown up in the same fashion described above. It is a shame that a play action (toss sweep) pass wasn't thrown to Summers because the CB jumped the play without a thought given to defend the pass. A counter handoff to a reversing AB would have been wide open too. In any case, hindsight is always 20/20.

Position reports:

QB: I give Vad a B for the day. He wasn't asked to do much that he was uncomfortable with. We stayed away from the option for the most part. He screwed up two option reads big time, one already mentioned, and a give to Sims right into the unblocked DE. Both were costly. The second stalling the last drive in Q4. He had the bad pick that came at a horrible time, but other than that, he stayed aggressive and made some huge throws that took advantage of a defensive team that was over-playing the run. The last play of the game just wasn't there. I don't know if this is really fair to him or not, but I think he needed to try and buy time (by leaving the pocket) for something else to pop open. He stood there frozen and then tried to force in a prayer.

BB: Sims ran like a champ. It was like an NFL game on the interior. I have a lot of respect for the talent of the UGAg DL and MLBs. It was tough sledding and Sims was up to the task, moving the sticks on effort alone much of the time. He gets an A from me. Without him, we aren't even close.

AB: Days and Godhigh continue to block exceedingly well. RG, once again just keeps making plays, in the air and on land. They both get As. The rest, not so much. Bostic had a tough day blocking and running.

WR: B+. Smelter had a great day and Waller made a big catch along with Summers. However, blocking out of the TE slot on the unbalanced line didn't go well. Summers got beat some on the edge too.

OL: B-. To be fair, they had a tough assignment. At the point of attack, it was one of their best days. They picked up guys jumping the count and they won most of the zone blocking "mano a mano" battles. However, on the edge and at the second level there was confusion and whiffs that limited our production and, ultimately, cost us the game.

Coaching: B. I think CPJ called a good game, with a few exceptions. Our formations put us in a good position to succeed with what they were doing. However, I don't think the OLs were really ready for the perimeter blocking portion of their assignments in terms of the unbalanced formation going against their defensive alignment. Our kids were mentally and emotionally ready to play and played hard. It appears they believe in the system and their coach. I got a little miffed at coach during his meeting with the Reverend after the game at midfield. Richt was trying to show a little sportsmanship and Johnson just kind of shook his hand and gave him a cold shoulder. It wasn't one of his better moments. People notice stuff like that, or I do anyway.

Oh, and by the way, I didn't see any cheap stuff going on in the piles with UGA players like we have seen in the past. No cheap shots or twisting of ankles etc. I give them kudos for that. It was really a pretty clean game. I also tip my hat to the SEC refs who apparently called a very fair game. That hasn't always seemed to be the case in the past either.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Thanks Boomer.

One missed play that still sticks out to me the most was when Godhigh was wide open deep and Vad overthrew it quite a bit. Vad was also hit (pretty hard I imagine) and it seemed like to me the passing game fizzled away after that.

As for CPJ after the game, you can tell that he really takes these losses personally, especially close games like this one. I don't think it was about the opponent either or Richt himself. The last game that he didn't handle well was the OT loss to Miami last year. They put up a video of Wes interviewing CPJ one-on-one after that game and CPJ looked like he just lost a family member or something. I'm pretty sure that the video got pulled.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks, Boomergump. I always enjoy your film review. It adds a lot to my understanding and appreciation of the game. You were the only reason I ever went to TOS...I am glad you are here now.

Question for you- do you think it would be helpful to train a TE-size guy that we can throw in some of those tight formations--A big guy that can block a DE or go out for a pass? Perhaps Klock when he gets on campus? With as much blocking as our receivers do, you would think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a guy like that ready for short-yardage situations or just to have an extra blocker on the line when our WRs are playing in tight. Any disadvantages to that?

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
One play that got some groans from the student section was one where Bostic had a block on the edge but decided to try to run it to the outside instead of taking it inside his block. He could have had a good run but instead got tackled for a 1 yard gain. Just seemed like a total lack of awareness, but he was really the only back I wan't happy with this game. Vad seemed explosive on the scramble for the first time since that hit he took in the UNC game. I was disappointing that Justin Thomas didn't get to play, I think his speed could have been big for a couple downs late in the game. Smelter is a stud, plain and simple. Lot of positives to go around, but that doesn't make the fact that we blew a 20-0 lead any easier to swallow. Hopefully CPJ keeps mixing up the offense a bit more, we looked more dynamic and dangerous this game than we have all year.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
One play that got some groans from the student section was one where Bostic had a block on the edge but decided to try to run it to the outside instead of taking it inside his block.
Is this the play to the right where it looked like BJ just couldn't decide whether he should take the inside or outside then eventually just ran right into where the blocker/defender was?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Is this the play to the right where it looked like BJ just couldn't decide whether he should take the inside or outside then eventually just ran right into where the blocker/defender was?

That's it. Looked like it was going to be a nice run at first.

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, that was...sad, to say the least. Had a clear lane to the inside but instead ran right into the arms of the defender.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
That's it. Looked like it was going to be a nice run at first.
Yeah, that was...sad, to say the least. Had a clear lane to the inside but instead ran right into the arms of the defender.
Yea, just looked like he was unsure which way he should go. That corner was on an island with our WR with a ton of space on either side... then we just ran right into said island. There's definitely been a history of our ABs doing this type of thing too. :facepalm:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Boomer.

I think you hit the key frustrations I've had. Blockers who are running the chalkboard like they practice without a D and don't block anyone and Vad's bad option reads. They both compensated with decent play elsewhere.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks, Boomergump. I always enjoy your film review. It adds a lot to my understanding and appreciation of the game. You were the only reason I ever went to TOS...I am glad you are here now.

Question for you- do you think it would be helpful to train a TE-size guy that we can throw in some of those tight formations--A big guy that can block a DE or go out for a pass? Perhaps Klock when he gets on campus? With as much blocking as our receivers do, you would think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a guy like that ready for short-yardage situations or just to have an extra blocker on the line when our WRs are playing in tight. Any disadvantages to that?
My guess is that Klock will be on defense, but I think you are right. There is room for a TE type player in the offense for these kind of formations as well as AB some of the time.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One other thing that I wanted to say about Vad: there were several occasions during the game where he had a chance to step up in the pocket to buy time, but instead chose to drift back into the pressure. He needs to work on that some. It is so much easier to deliver a pass with weight going forward. He throws great from the roll out or when he has no pressure, but he is struggling with pocket presence a little.

At least this game he ran the ball decisively with a purpose. He seemed to shake the tentative nature that has plagued him recently.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's quite apparent the scheme is sound when executed correctly even against superior athletes. Sometimes it those superior athletes that blow up our execution, but it seems it was unforced this time, for the most part. On the other hand, we had plenty of correctly executed plays, too. It makes it all the more frustrating at what could have been, but gives legitimate hope for the future.

Vad should be much improved next season in all aspects of the offense. However, we lose a lot of experience off the OL and bringing in greenhorns to execute the very same complex blocking schemes our veterans had trouble with has me worried.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I noticed that rocket toss was getting blown up a lot early in the game. The DE was able to beat our motion A-back to the edge a few times.

But, we made an adjustment and ran Rocket twice very successfully on our last drive in regulation. We ran it left and got effective edge blocking from Jackson (?) and then right and got good edge blocking from Beno + Days. We moved the ball down to the Georgia 40, then we went away from Rocket.

On our last offensive series in regulation with the game on the line, we ran a very predictable series:

- Called B-back dive
- Triple (bad give since the DE tackled Sims for a loss)
- Timeout (we showed pass before the timeout). Then we came out throwing an incomplete pass (Smelter down the sideline).
- Punt

If we get 10 yards on this series, we have a field goal attempt to potentially win the game in regulation.

Here is what interests me:
- Why did we go away from Rocket on the last series? Did coach see something he didn't like? If so, why did we go back to it in over-time (unsuccessfully)?
- If you know you have the Smelter end-around in the playbook - why don't we use it in regulation? Again, it seem to me like you run rocket two more times and the counter (end around) on 3rd down.

We just needed 10 yards...what if...

/

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think the rocket was called based on the position of the LBs. If they were up on the LOS to stop the dive, it is hard for them to get to the edge unblocked.

An interesting variation would have been a fake rocket QB counter. Hindsight...

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I noticed that rocket toss was getting blown up a lot early in the game. The DE was able to beat our motion A-back to the edge a few times.

But, we made an adjustment and ran Rocket twice very successfully on our last drive in regulation. We ran it left and got effective edge blocking from Jackson (?) and then right and got good edge blocking from Beno + Days. We moved the ball down to the Georgia 40, then we went away from Rocket.

On our last offensive series in regulation with the game on the line, we ran a very predictable series:

- Called B-back dive
- Triple (bad give since the DE tackled Sims for a loss)
- Timeout (we showed pass before the timeout). Then we came out throwing an incomplete pass (Smelter down the sideline).
- Punt

If we get 10 yards on this series, we have a field goal attempt to potentially win the game in regulation.

Here is what interests me:
- Why did we go away from Rocket on the last series? Did coach see something he didn't like? If so, why did we go back to it in over-time (unsuccessfully)?
- If you know you have the Smelter end-around in the playbook - why don't we use it in regulation? Again, it seem to me like you run rocket two more times and the counter (end around) on 3rd down.

We just needed 10 yards...what if...

/
That bad give on the final series in reg was a killer. Vad had no business giving there. If he keeps and just gets 4 or so, we have a crack at a long FG. If he got 4 we probably run again anyway on 3rd down and get even closer if not move the sticks. Unforced error.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I just finished watching every offensive series in slow motion, stopping to watch each play a few times in order to see what went right and wrong. I have to say I feel like our guys did well. We left some points on the field, though, with errors at critical times. Obviously, this is a game we could / should have won. By the end of this writing that should be painfully clear if it isn't already.

UGA came out in pretty much a straight 5-2 alignment with the back 4 all lined up across the field at about 8 yards off the line, effectively putting 9 in the box. I say 5-2 because the OLBs in their 3-4 were basically at the LOS on the outside shoulder of the DEs. The MLBs were opposite the OGs about 4 yards back. One interesting tactic they used was to line up the entire DL about a yard back from the neutral zone in an effort to gain an advantage against the cut blocks on the interior. It looked kind of odd truthfully. I think they may have been the first team to do that. They tried to crash the A gap with a blitzing MLB occasionally, but had a much harder time than prior opponents timing our snap counts, so it wasn't nearly as effective. They obviously tried to keep it simple for them and just letting them play from that single formation. The only time they changed was in 3rd and long type situations where the safeties backed off. We countered this defense by doing a lot of zone blocking and giving them unbalanced OLs and bunched formations with the WRs pulled in. It worked to a great degree on the interior where our OLs were very effective, but less so on the perimeter.

When I counted numbers with the unbalanced OL to the field side, it gave us an apparent numerical advantage every time. However, it didn't really materialize on the edges like it appeared it should. There were two recurring problems in that formation that may have cost us the game. First off, the WR on the weak side TE position got blown up regularly allowing the backside DE or OLB to make plays. Secondly, when toss sweeps went wide to the side with an advantage, pulling OLs repeatedly ran past would be tacklers heading for the second level resulting in a surplus of gold helmets out there with nobody to block. Those had to be assignment busts. It was really quite maddening. When you count the numbers, they weren't needed out there, they already had an extra guy. The primary LBs in pursuit needed to get whacked and weren't. Several crucial plays during the game were blown up this way, not with a defender beating a block, but instead being passed up in favor of air further down field. I know our offensive scheme is more complicated for the blockers. It is hard to routinely pass up certain players and always make the right decisions. OLs in traditional offenses don't really have that dilemma because nobody is being optioned off. Still, these errors were costly and needed to be executed better.

IMHO, the game swung on a few critical plays. I will list them in chronological order. 1. first half possession in the RZ, toss sweep was blown up as described above resulting in FG try. 2. Late in first half, with a 20-0 lead and just a few minutes to go before the break, a seemingly harmless option play went for 7 as Vad took the wrong option and kept. Viewing it live, it looked like a good play because of the gain. In slow motion it revealed that their LBs had BOTH gone for Vad (who cut inside of them) leaving Godhigh all alone for the pitch. There were only 2 defenders left on that entire side of the field, each with a gold helmet on them well away from the ball. A pitch there goes for 40 at least (think Clemson or UVA) and totally changes the complexion of the first half. It could have been the knock out blow. 3. Missed FG, nuff said. 4. Horrible decision on pick by Vad. 5. The toss to RG in OT2 that got blown up in the same fashion described above. It is a shame that a play action (toss sweep) pass wasn't thrown to Summers because the CB jumped the play without a thought given to defend the pass. A counter handoff to a reversing AB would have been wide open too. In any case, hindsight is always 20/20.

Position reports:

QB: I give Vad a B for the day. He wasn't asked to do much that he was uncomfortable with. We stayed away from the option for the most part. He screwed up two option reads big time, one already mentioned, and a give to Sims right into the unblocked DE. Both were costly. The second stalling the last drive in Q4. He had the bad pick that came at a horrible time, but other than that, he stayed aggressive and made some huge throws that took advantage of a defensive team that was over-playing the run. The last play of the game just wasn't there. I don't know if this is really fair to him or not, but I think he needed to try and buy time (by leaving the pocket) for something else to pop open. He stood there frozen and then tried to force in a prayer.

BB: Sims ran like a champ. It was like an NFL game on the interior. I have a lot of respect for the talent of the UGAg DL and MLBs. It was tough sledding and Sims was up to the task, moving the sticks on effort alone much of the time. He gets an A from me. Without him, we aren't even close.

AB: Days and Godhigh continue to block exceedingly well. RG, once again just keeps making plays, in the air and on land. They both get As. The rest, not so much. Bostic had a tough day blocking and running.

WR: B+. Smelter had a great day and Waller made a big catch along with Summers. However, blocking out of the TE slot on the unbalanced line didn't go well. Summers got beat some on the edge too.

OL: B-. To be fair, they had a tough assignment. At the point of attack, it was one of their best days. They picked up guys jumping the count and they won most of the zone blocking "mano a mano" battles. However, on the edge and at the second level there was confusion and whiffs that limited our production and, ultimately, cost us the game.

Coaching: B. I think CPJ called a good game, with a few exceptions. Our formations put us in a good position to succeed with what they were doing. However, I don't think the OLs were really ready for the perimeter blocking portion of their assignments in terms of the unbalanced formation going against their defensive alignment. Our kids were mentally and emotionally ready to play and played hard. It appears they believe in the system and their coach. I got a little miffed at coach during his meeting with the Reverend after the game at midfield. Richt was trying to show a little sportsmanship and Johnson just kind of shook his hand and gave him a cold shoulder. It wasn't one of his better moments. People notice stuff like that, or I do anyway.

Oh, and by the way, I didn't see any cheap stuff going on in the piles with UGA players like we have seen in the past. No cheap shots or twisting of ankles etc. I give them kudos for that. It was really a pretty clean game. I also tip my hat to the SEC refs who apparently called a very fair game. That hasn't always seemed to be the case in the past either.
Boomer.
The OLs running by defs guys has happened all yr.I would like to know the stats on 20 yd + runs this yr vs other yrs.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
It appeared to me while watching the game that Vad grew up. I have stayed away from the board until today because it was an emotional game and I didn't want to read the filth that usually follows those games. I feel like when listening to Vad post game, he thinks he could have won the game for us which is a good sign. The waiver in his voice is surely out of anger and being upset and he should use this game to grow. Let's be honest, this season was disappointing before this game, but had we played like we did this weekend against VPI and Miami we'd be headed to Charlotte.

What has baffled me for this entire season and honestly the previous 2 years post JfN has been our lack of the QB midline/ B-back follow and we ran it like champs in this game. JfN destroyed teams with that play, and I hope we get back to running it. Even with 9 in the box we can get 3 yards out of it when the proper lane is chosen. That really opens up the rest of the field because the only way to blow it up is to crash the line hard.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer.
The OLs running by defs guys has happened all yr.I would like to know the stats on 20 yd + runs this yr vs other yrs.
A lot of that stuff is by design, and I agree with you to an extent. The biggest problem I had last game was, we were running by with nobody left to put a hat on. I have watched film over and over and seen LBs passed up for safeties, but in this case, with the unbalanced line, there was already an extra guy over there and we were letting people go with nobody left to block. I am sure somebody was supposed to take the scraping LBs.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It appeared to me while watching the game that Vad grew up. I have stayed away from the board until today because it was an emotional game and I didn't want to read the filth that usually follows those games. I feel like when listening to Vad post game, he thinks he could have won the game for us which is a good sign. The waiver in his voice is surely out of anger and being upset and he should use this game to grow. Let's be honest, this season was disappointing before this game, but had we played like we did this weekend against VPI and Miami we'd be headed to Charlotte.

What has baffled me for this entire season and honestly the previous 2 years post JfN has been our lack of the QB midline/ B-back follow and we ran it like champs in this game. JfN destroyed teams with that play, and I hope we get back to running it. Even with 9 in the box we can get 3 yards out of it when the proper lane is chosen. That really opens up the rest of the field because the only way to blow it up is to crash the line hard.

I agree, I could see a big difference in Vad's play. I said before, and so have others, Vad's sophomore year reminds me a lot of Joe Hamiltons'. He seemed to second guessing himself too much, his decision making and movement didn't flow. In the Georgia game he looked comfortable and his mind and body were in sync. Joe Hamilton had a lousy soph. year, he had flashes of brilliance and natural ability, but you could tell he was thinking too much.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Vad's most improvement was throwing quicker to an open reciever. This may have been by design. The routes were quick developing. Vad does not have enough time to let routes develop and for him to progress. He needs the routes there and check down completed within 3 seconds.

I believe passing was the game plan as I saw them practicing the new routes pre game.

Some complain about the pass to Godhigh when others were wide open in the endzone. Rewatch that play again. There was not enough time for him to think or progress.

I will complain on the missed slant to Waller. Vad did hesitate too long as Waller was open. But who is perfect?