Film Study - Offense vs UVA

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really don't know what to do here. I watched the entire offensive game on DVR over the course of 3 different sittings. To be truthful, I don't feel like spending an hour describing all that went wrong. It is just too frustrating. It is no surprise we continue to have trouble blocking, along the line and at the skill positions. That has not changed. JT allowed many a pitch key to make a tackle, we put the ball on the ground, and the beat goes on.

Tenuta did what he does, bring pressure and mix things up. UVA's alignments were either a 5-2 or the same 4-3 with shallow safeties that we are used to seeing. There was nothing really new besides mixing a few blitzes. For those of you who feel like our last score of the game was the result of garbage time and UVA backing off, think again. They continued to blitz 6 until the bitter end. They may have backed up a couple steps on the boundary, but they were still coming full force.

In terms of blocking, I am truly scratching my head. I have no explanations and I have no answers. Our technique and toughness is bad out in space and our organization is ridiculous on the interior. The mental mistakes are through the roof. In the worst way, I want to say the old adage "it's never as bad as it seems" but that isn't really true in this case. It was "that bad" and then some.

We made them pay for overplaying the run a few times, but missed on a couple opportunities as well. However, we FAILED to estblish the run in any way shape or form. It may be the worst I have seen since Gardner Webb in that regard (with a non-option QB trying to run things). I am at a loss for words and I do not know what to say. The questions are many. Have we lost the kids? Are they not paying attention in practice or meetings? Over-play or no over-play, we simply cannot repeatedly turn people loose at that rate and expect to get anything done. It doesn't have anything to do with our ability to block on the interior, but rather, our ability to decide what to do.

I aplologize. I understand people have come to expect some kind of detail in my reports, however flawed. I just can't bring myself to do it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was there and sat in the end zone upper level so I could watch the blocking and passing lanes better. The OL, AB, BB, WR blocking were awful on many plays. I couldn't watch it again. I don't know how you did. Thanks though.

To correct a problem, you have to understand what causes it. This blocking has been getting worse all year, so the inference is that we are not on the road to correcting whatever the blocking problem is. Hopefully blocking gets better next year.

biojacket06

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks for the thoughts. My hope is that next year some maturity will kick in and we will not be such a dumpster fire.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think that it may be due to two things. First, we stopped the AB shuffle to bring in plays. That means the OL has to get the message at the line instead of in the huddle. I think I understand why Coach is doing this: we're down to 4 ABs and the longer delays inhibits the other side from shifting at the formation. Still, I sure do hope we go back to the old ways soon.

The second factor I'd put in for is lack of confidence. Our backs aren't running the ball well, we are passing too much (especially in this game), and we aren't winning. Defeat means effort is not rewarded. The continuing injuries (I'm betting a lot of OLs were dismayed that Gotsis went out so early) during the game didn't help. It's easy to get going when you are on a roll; it's damn hard when you aren't. And, I might add, beginning the game without Shamire and ending it without Chamberlain also made things harder.

This is one of those years. Let's hope that a little time off will make a difference. I wish we had had that open date 3 weeks ago, however.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I imagine being on the road figures in somewhere. After Clem or Duke (not sure exactly when) PJ said something like When we go on the road we go berserk and forget everything we know.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
No apologies necessary @Boomergump . I don't think there's a Jacket alive that doesn't understand how you feel. Season has been exhausting.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I missed not seeing the report on Sunday or Monday, but understand 100%. I didn't have the heart to re-watch the game.

... it's not easy to make a silk purse if given sow's ears to work with...

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
@Boomergump does it look to you like our O line is running two different plays from time to time? Or is the blocking just that bad? We look so disoriented in the trenches I have assumed we didn't understand the play calls from time to time.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm confident that he knows what it should look like... To bad we don't seem to be able to execute appropriately.

Navy tied the game up with a nine minute opening drive. They also mentioned that Ken whatever has an offensive coordinator. I do question from a time standpoint if being head coach and offensive coordinator might be too much. By the way, Navy is 6-1.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This will be their 2nd toughest game of the season to date (Notre Dame being number one).

Will love to see them win out.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure the kids are totally checked out, but I do believe they have lost confidence this season. You can just watch our body language during games. Guys look discouraged, not necessarily disinterested. Offensive line just looks like a unit without a leader. We seem to be always "confused" on assignments or schemes, that is the really frustrating part. Why is this never improving? Do they really not care to fix the mistakes?

I think us as fans, the players, and CPJ want to get this season over with and flush the memory down the toilet. All we can do is beat UGA and make this season not a total disaster.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Navy tied the game up with a nine minute opening drive. They also mentioned that Ken whatever has an offensive coordinator. I do question from a time standpoint if being head coach and offensive coordinator might be too much. By the way, Navy is 6-1.
By the way we won the Orange Bowl last year and beat UGag.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Boomergump does it look to you like our O line is running two different plays from time to time? Or is the blocking just that bad? We look so disoriented in the trenches I have assumed we didn't understand the play calls from time to time.
Personally, I don't think it has to do with our ability to block. Most of these guys have already proven themselves before in that regard. "Disoriented" was a good choice of words. Leaving a player unblocked is different than not being able to block him. BTW I am speaking of the OL now. On the edge, out in space, is another story. They are confused too, but they also are ineffective in the blocks they are trying to throw.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
Personally, I don't think it has to do with our ability to block. Most of these guys have already proven themselves before in that regard. "Disoriented" was a good choice of words. Leaving a player unblocked is different than not being able to block him. BTW I am speaking of the OL now. On the edge, out in space, is another story. They are confused too, but they also are ineffective in the blocks they are trying to throw.

That sounds like a fire Sewak post.