Film Study - Offense vs UVA

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am very impressed with our offense in general.

My ONLY worry for next year is whether we can replace our WR's. It should be so obvious this year that having a reliable passing attack is SO critical to having this offense be effective, and this year we have that (I don't care what the stats say, we have effective WR play and a clear threat when passing).

(Well, that and the defense....well, you know...)

Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we may die. Next year is .......... next year. I think the positives will outweigh the negatives, but after National Signing Day, we'll be able to eviscerate this topic.

Smelter, Damarius Thomas and some Johnson guy........ we'll get the attention of recruits. We have have Summers and Ricky Jeune returning who are already in the two deep. Not to mention TaQuon, Harland, Brandon and Christian coming in ..... which of those will be the next CJ or DeAndre?

I agree the D is the worry!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we may die. Next year is .......... next year. I think the positives will outweigh the negatives, but after National Signing Day, we'll be able to eviscerate this topic.

Smelter, Damarius Thomas and some Johnson guy........ we'll get the attention of recruits. We have have Summers and Ricky Jeune returning who are already in the two deep. Not to mention TaQuon, Harland, Brandon and Christian coming in ..... which of those will be the next CJ or DeAndre?

I agree the D is the worry!
In your first sentence I appreciate the reminder for the first part, but I am trying to forget the second part!

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Boomergump why did we have a big issue with pulling guards getting their blocks. The only thing I can think of is the DL was coming to far into the back field.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are going to need Perkins and possibly Days for blocking on the edge for the Clemson game. I believe they will make less mistakes than Virginia and fire the corners more.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I thought Snoddy was gone on that early option pitch. He was about to kick it into turbo overdrive, and he was already leaving the Cavs defenders in the dust. I think we're just starting to see glimpses of what he can do - and it is exciting.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Good luck with that. At OG this year we have Mason, who is probably the most consistently dominating run blocking OG in the CPJ era and the tandem of Devine and Braun. Devine can physically handle any DT who mans up on him and Braun is pretty good too.

I thought PJ called counter option a little too much yesterday and on one counter, Braun just simply couldn't get out there in time before the defender blew through into the backfield. No fault of Braun's - he just couldn't get there, even if he had a head start (which would have been illegal procedure).

But I'm loving what I see right now from this team. A young O line that is getting better and deeper. Physical wide receivers who are matchup problems all over the place. Running backs who run hard and don't mind sticking their nose into someone's midsection to make a block. And a QB who is both fearless and confident.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought PJ called counter option a little too much yesterday and on one counter, Braun just simply couldn't get out there in time before the defender blew through into the backfield. No fault of Braun's - he just couldn't get there, even if he had a head start (which would have been illegal procedure).

But I'm loving what I see right now from this team. A young O line that is getting better and deeper. Physical wide receivers who are matchup problems all over the place. Running backs who run hard and don't mind sticking their nose into someone's midsection to make a block. And a QB who is both fearless and confident.

I thought the counter was what was needed, especially in the second half, since they were selling out to over pursue to the motion side. They stopped us cold on a couple of option plays because of the over pursuit as I remember. Just gotta take what they aren't covering.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
In regards to his interception, it seems that he had man open (Smelter, I think) but couldn't step up into the throw bc the defender was right in his face which ended up causing the turn over. I feel like had he been able to step into the throw, he could have gotten it over the interceptors head for a completion. Would you agree with this assesment?
yep,
days missed the block, maybe a bit tired then

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Thanks, Boomer.
Pretty much what I thought.The Off looks a bit like 09 when all aspects were there.
One maybe unappreciated advantage this yr on having all those the Abacks(besides being fresh) is that they all are now VERY experienced and fully developed in the system.They can all block,run, and catch to some degree.We will pay next yr when all the Srs are gone but for now....ok even taking Days out of mix although we missed Perkins blocking.
I too have appreciated PJ calling of plays.ex--getting stuffed on that first down try caused him to change blocking and run another hole for Days on next play for td.. And sure tried to run reverse/counter plays to offset uva overplay.
I still marvel that Days can operate at such a high level at 2 positions.I thought fumbling might be a problem at bback but no ,and he has showed his power inside.
I also noticed Griffin being off,not to mention his penalty call.Joe is pushing him- from that decent pitt game performance.
Right now to me devine is only good for straight-on blocks.He's too slow to cutoff a DT slanting and loses focus on other plays.
Yep, when Smelter is getting pd next yr we will realize him for not only passing but also blocking (BeBe Jr) What a gift dropped in our lap and may have saved PJ's job.(Imagine the Off without him last and this yr)

new jacket404

Georgia Tech Fan
What the what chop block on devine he hit him above the waist smh it is possible i dont knowwhat a chop block is. Then to take him out because of it(something he was probably told to do) still smh . I got to mention the fair rotation of the left guards that was noticeably broken wonder why ? When
all was looking fair and profitable In GTtown.devine help get two quick touch downs mayb thats it dont eat enough clock .mayb dont give the next team to much to study mayb keep him out of injury danger mayb some coach master mind scheme i'm cluless about but from the outside looking in equally fair earned playing time was taking away from Devine with no just cause.just my observation and lack of understanding of the overall game plan (i guessing) mayb i should go to the cpj show Q&A @ the bar & grill and try to ask him

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
What the what chop block on devine he hit him above the waist smh it is possible i dont knowwhat a chop block is. Then to take him out because of it(something he was probably told to do) still smh . I got to mention the fair rotation of the left guards that was noticeably broken wonder why ? When
all was looking fair and profitable In GTtown.devine help get two quick touch downs mayb thats it dont eat enough clock .mayb dont give the next team to much to study mayb keep him out of injury danger mayb some coach master mind scheme i'm cluless about but from the outside looking in equally fair earned playing time was taking away from Devine with no just cause.just my observation and lack of understanding of the overall game plan (i guessing) mayb i should go to the cpj show Q&A @ the bar & grill and try to ask him
I have liked most of what you have written here in obvious love and support for Shamire but now you are getting yourself really stressed out over it.

Tech gets hosed often for supposed chop blocks where a DL just holds on to one OL guy who is trying to get past him while the OL dude who is assigned to that DL is cutting him at the knees. I think the chop block call in this game was another one of those kinds. But how do you know why Devine was taken out right after that flag? I have gotten the impression that you know Devine personally since you really only show an interest in commenting on him and his playing time. So if you know him personally you could try and ask him directly about how his playing time gets decided upon by Sewak and see what he says. I am sure Devine either gets explanations given to him about personnel and play decisions or can ask and get a honest answer from his coaches.

Devine is getting a lot of snaps and playing time for a redshirt freshman on a deep offensive line. If he doesn't play every single snap it isn't an insult to the kid or suggestive of some sort of conspiracy to keep an All American talent down. He is part of a team after all. It is far easier to explain or coach something to a young player on the sideline then when they are out on the field.

What I see from my vantage point is that the OL is a real strength this year and Shamire is an important part of that success. But he is also a redshirt freshman who over the course of his time at Tech has already lost 40 pounds and so is still in the process of reshaping his body for the college game. I have all the confidence in the world that if he stays healthy and progresses as he seems capable of that Shamire is going to be an All American Olineman playing 75% of the snaps or more for entire seasons by the time he is a Junior or Senior.

And then he will take his great Tech degree, go to the NFL and have a fantastic career for 8-10 years or so, retire and be a big name in business or whatever he wants to get involved in and do all of us Tech fans proud. Don't stress out so much over him and enjoy the ride! :)

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
-
I have liked most of what you have written here in obvious love and support for Shamire but now you are getting yourself really stressed out over it.

Tech gets hosed often for supposed chop blocks where a DL just holds on to one OL guy who is trying to get past him while the OL dude who is assigned to that DL is cutting him at the knees. I think the chop block call in this game was another one of those kinds. But how do you know why Devine was taken out right after that flag? I have gotten the impression that you know Devine personally since you really only show an interest in commenting on him and his playing time. So if you know him personally you could try and ask him directly about how his playing time gets decided upon by Sewak and see what he says. I am sure Devine either gets explanations given to him about personnel and play decisions or can ask and get a honest answer from his coaches.

Devine is getting a lot of snaps and playing time for a redshirt freshman on a deep offensive line. If he doesn't play every single snap it isn't an insult to the kid or suggestive of some sort of conspiracy to keep an All American talent down. He is part of a team after all. It is far easier to explain or coach something to a young player on the sideline then when they are out on the field.

What I see from my vantage point is that the OL is a real strength this year and Shamire is an important part of that success. But he is also a redshirt freshman who over the course of his time at Tech has already lost 40 pounds and so is still in the process of reshaping his body for the college game. I have all the confidence in the world that if he stays healthy and progresses as he seems capable of that Shamire is going to be an All American Olineman playing 75% of the snaps or more for entire seasons by the time he is a Junior or Senior.

And then he will take his great Tech degree, go to the NFL and have a fantastic career for 8-10 years or so, retire and be a big name in business or whatever he wants to get involved in and do all of us Tech fans proud. Don't stress out so much over him and enjoy the ride! :)
GREAT REPLY-MANY CUDOS!!!

new jacket404

Georgia Tech Fan

Got you .not stressed just being observant .and i dont know why they. Took him out i was just guessing just want to understand. College ball better and was enjoying the rotation. Of the guards.nfl not even on the radar just want to play ball now and love being a jackect dont get me wrong if speaking my mind sounds like complaining. ill fall back.write in my diary instead.GO JACKECTS 7-2

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Got you .not stressed just being observant .and i dont know why they. Took him out i was just guessing just want to understand. College ball better and was enjoying the rotation. Of the guards.nfl not even on the radar just want to play ball now and love being a jackect dont get me wrong if speaking my mind sounds like complaining. ill fall back.write in my diary instead.GO JACKECTS 7-2

Don't sweatit man.
For comparison check out Byron bell on the Carolina Panthers - ex N mex state ( my son coached him in high school )- bb had a weight problem early in college career and almost quit. But toughed it out and perfected the jab block for pass protection - has long and massive arms - after being un drafted he got tryout and is is the starting left tackle. Last year at RT he was close to 400# but lost weight to move to left tackle.
Sham will be a beast in a couple of years after the " weight turns to muscle and the scale says 350. Now he needs to be situation player - Clemson and UGA games will need him to be at his best. I will watch him at clemson game. He maybe the key player to step up.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I don't mind you speaking your mind. My point is just that I am starting to be concerned for your blood pressure since you seem often to worry so much over how many snaps or plays Shamire gets each game. I don't want Shamire's number one fan and a fellow Tech fan getting so stressed out that you keel over and blackout. :) Obviously I am teasing now but that is all my point was really meant to be.

We all can see Devine's potential just like you and are going to enjoy watching and rooting for him over the course of his Tech career and beyond. I remember when he signed CPJ stated that Devine was the best OL in the entire state of GA and the number one OL player they had wanted in that year's entire class of athletes. He then said that meant Shamire was a "5 star" in Tech's mind and CPJ could care less what any recruiting services had to say about it. So I definitely think that the Tech coaches have all the confidence in the world in Shamire and are bringing him along as they think will work for the best long term for the team.

If Devine was a senior and not getting much playing time then I would be right there with you getting all worked up over it. But it is still early days yet for Shamire in his college football experience.

new jacket404

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't mind you speaking your Devine was My point is just that I am starting to be concerned for your blood pressure since you seem often to worry so much over how many snaps or plays Shamire gets each game. I don't want Shamire's number one fan and a fellow Tech fan getting so stressed out that you keel over and blackout. :) Obviously I am teasing now but that is all my point was really meant to be.

We all can see Devine's potential just like you and are going to enjoy watching and rooting for him over the course of his Tech career and beyond. I remember when he signed CPJ stated that Devine was the best OL in the entire state of GA and the number one OL player they had wanted in that year's entire class of athletes. He then said that meant Shamire was a "5 star" in Tech's mind and CPJ could care less what any recruiting services had to say about it. So I definitely think that the Tech coaches have all the confidence in the world in Shamire and are bringing him along as they think will work for the best long term for the team.

If Devine was a senior and not getting much playing time then I would be right there with you getting all worked up over it. But it is still early days yet for Shamire in his college football experience.
Keel over before this plays out out no way.