Film Study - Offense vs UVA

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UVA has a good defense. I just want to throw that out there in the beginning of this writing. You have to give Tenuta a lot of credit. He had those guys ready to play an aggressive scheme and they have the athletes to get it done. They executed well, for the most part, but got burned a couple times when two LBs scraped on the same play etc. The sad part for UVA was that we just have too many ways to beat them right now, even against a good attacking defense. They created some negative plays with their pressure, but we are not the same team as years past when caught behind the sticks.

They came out lining up much like the other recent opponents with 4 up front and 3 LBs with the middle guy fairly deep. Safeties were shallow and flowing very aggressively with motion, essentially removing themselves from the pass defense, except for certain down and distance situations. For the vast majority of plays they wanted that play side DE running up field and at the QB as quickly as possible to force an immediate decision if he kept after the MESH. From there, they rotated responsibility for the dive between the MLB and the OLB. Appropriately, they took turns scraping to the outside. Consequently, there were a lot of give reads on the MESH for the day, probably more than we actually gave. Days had a lot of carries, but it could have been more, as their defense was all about forcing the early pitch and getting to the edge with the back guys. They also mixed in some 5 man front as a change up after being gashed some early in the other alignment. Personally, I thought they were more disruptive in that alignment.

Remember the days of offensive futility when a team pinned their ears back and dared us to pass? Well, you have now witnessed the development of our offense beyond that one dimension. We have a QB who keeps plays alive and throws to the right guy and we have WRs who are extremely tough to stop in single coverage. We just put up 35 (could have been more if we wanted to at the end) against a really good D by using an entire arsenal of weapons. We don't drop many passes any more and plays are getting funneled to the right guys. My confidence in this offense could not be higher than it is right now. We are poised to have substantial success against any team we face so long as we hang on to the ball and play with focused energy. There might be a couple better defensive teams in the land, but their aren't many.

I thought CPJ was masterful with the play calling yesterday. He took advantage of everything they were doing and called the right plays at the right times. When the smoke route was there, he used it to move the sticks. When he had Smelter isolated he used him on some back shoulder type throws and a good post when safeties had crashed the run. He jump balled to Waller. He sprung different blocking schemes several times on plays that were successfully stopped just moments ago. I loved the Hill TD where we ran the same play again but this time with Smelter cracking the safety (leveled that guy) and the play side AB kicking out the CB.

JT had his moments of confusion under duress. He hesitated in the backfield and even blindly turned back once to the side that his OG and OT had both just pulled from. I don't know what he thought could possibly be there, after all that entire side of the DL would be left unblocked on the play. He also missed some give reads too. But you know what, he made a lot of plays too and got the ball where it needed to go. He drew a tough assignment today and I think he will grow from the experience.

Synjyn was a horse. We all know it. Mentioning his name is certainly not a surprise I am sure. He is a tough guy to bring down and he found some creases with decisive cuts for a couple big runs too. The added weight may have slowed him down a half step from when he first got here, but he knows how to use it. The debate can rage on about who should be starting between ZL and SD, but I think we can all agree that there won't be a backwards step either way. He protected the football and he was devastating. He gave shots and he took shots. It was a heavy weight battle on the interior. Synjyn makes us more physical in there, Zach makes us quicker.

I think the OL blocked well, but I also think they faced one of their toughest assignments too. UVA has a good interior presence. We didn't dominate the way we have at times this year, but we didn't get run over either. The only real meaningful observations I have from the DVR personnel-wise, is that I think Griffin is struggling physically. I don't know his status in terms of health, but he seems to be favoring something. His hands aren't quite as aggressive and he isn't engaging opponents with the same ferocity. I think Devine is growing in confidence. His body language shows it. He is our best pass protector and I trust him completely to handle the guy in front of him if he doesn't have to chase too much or scoop. Our G-C-G play is above our OT play, but the tackles are improving. Chamberlain is a better player than last year (still room for growth) and Joe is more than adequate. JT is better in the pocket than Vad was, but he is also getting more help too.

Snoddy is growing in confidence too. I love watching the guy when he gets a chance to turn up field. On that long run he had, the separation he got from the people around him when he got the ball was breathtaking. In general, the edge didn't open up for us much yesterday and the ABs didn't do much in the blocking department to force it to happen either. There were a lot of blue and orange uniforms out there and there weren't many on the ground.

Smelter continues to be a force. He is an equalizer against the over aggressive run defenses. I have confidence in him beating any CB in the land in a one-on-one situation. He is so physical you can't jam him off his route and for a guy his size he controls his body really well. He gets out of his breaks in good order. Without him, this offense functions a lot differently.

Last edited by a moderator:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
They created some negative plays with their pressure, but we are not the same team as years past when caught behind the sticks.

Remember the days of offensive futility when a team pinned their ears back and dared us to pass? Well, you have now witnessed the development of our offense beyond that one dimension.

Amen and amen. Hallelujah. This is what we have been waiting for. Now the O can take that quantum leap forward that we have been hoping for. Given #5's age, this O has the potential to be on par with that of Ralph and Joe H. That's significant praise imo.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Great as usual. Why is JT keeping so much less the last couple of games? I hope it's due to good reads.
I think you mentioned in another thread that he looks hurt, and I agree. I think he's got a long term issue. Maybe a high ankle sprain? Those can be really tricky. He looks to be at about 75% to me running the ball, but luckily we have a lot of ABs that are dangerous.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great as usual. Why is JT keeping so much less the last couple of games? I hope it's due to good reads.
Well, he was keeping a lot less yesterday because he was staring at the face mask of a DE 3 yards into the backfield all day. There were a lot of pull pitches and rightfully so.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
JT has not been keeping it more simply because the opportunities haven't been there for him. Teams are emphasizing stopping JT and letting other guys try to beat them...and our other guys (Days, Zennon, Snoddy, Smelter, etc.) are beating them. That's the beauty of this offense when we can stack playmakers at every position...it will roll up yards and points. JT is just a point guard right now distributing the ball to exploit what the defenses is giving us.

slugboy

Staff member
Dave Doeren seems to come from the defensive side of the ball. If you were him, and looked at this game tape, would you do more of the five man front?

When they gave us that -13 yard drive, what'd they do there that stung us?

Declinometer

Banned
Was hoping to see the phantom dive fake with the immediate pitch a few times. I think we could have gotten the edge on that play

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
To really shut our O down this year it is going to take some DTs that can beat our inside guys 1 on 1. That is not the same as years past when defenses could forget about the pass.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
In regards to his interception, it seems that he had man open (Smelter, I think) but couldn't step up into the throw bc the defender was right in his face which ended up causing the turn over. I feel like had he been able to step into the throw, he could have gotten it over the interceptors head for a completion. Would you agree with this assesment?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
In regards to his interception, it seems that he had man open (Smelter, I think) but couldn't step up into the throw bc the defender was right in his face which ended up causing the turn over. I feel like had he been able to step into the throw, he could have gotten it over the interceptors head for a completion. Would you agree with this assesment?

If I remember correctly he was throwing into the wind as well

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
JT has not been keeping it more simply because the opportunities haven't been there for him. Teams are emphasizing stopping JT and letting other guys try to beat them...and our other guys (Days, Zennon, Snoddy, Smelter, etc.) are beating them. That's the beauty of this offense when we can stack playmakers at every position...it will roll up yards and points. JT is just a point guard right now distributing the ball to exploit what the defenses is giving us.

So far this year, no one has stopped us but ourselves. UNC didn't stop us. We turned the ball over at Duke, what, 3 times in the 2nd half - and still almost won. When we don't turn the ball over, we are very tough to slow down.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is correct. He flung the ball without stepping into his throw because of pressure. IMO he was throwing for Smelter and under-threw the pass by a good bit.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To really shut our O down this year it is going to take some DTs that can beat our inside guys 1 on 1. That is not the same as years past when defenses could forget about the pass.
Good luck with that. At OG this year we have Mason, who is probably the most consistently dominating run blocking OG in the CPJ era and the tandem of Devine and Braun. Devine can physically handle any DT who mans up on him and Braun is pretty good too.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am very impressed with our offense in general.

My ONLY worry for next year is whether we can replace our WR's. It should be so obvious this year that having a reliable passing attack is SO critical to having this offense be effective, and this year we have that (I don't care what the stats say, we have effective WR play and a clear threat when passing).

(Well, that and the defense....well, you know...)