Film Study Film Study - Offense vs ND

As bad as we played we still could've won this game. We left 10 points on the field. The "holding" penalty before half and then missing the FG plus JT losing his mind to start the 3rd qtr with that fumble killed this teams confidence. It was a weird game. The score was close but felt like a beat down but when you really think about it we easily could have won.
We are not good enough (yet) to win a game against a really good team when we don't play a strong game, a game up to our capabilities. Notre Dame was disruptive on defense, but we still had half a dozen opportunities to perform well, break their scheme, and be in a position to win. We didn't play a particularly good game on offense or special teams. Our defense showed real signs of being able to play against the stronger teams left on our schedule. We are still to be favored in all but Clemson and Georgia. If we don't absolutely destroy Duke, I'll have to rethink all this, but for right now we have the inside track for the Coastal Division. Get back to practice, fix what is fixable, and get a big win against a division foe.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
What I saw was that the ND LB's were coming every play at the snap of the ball with no regard or respect for any over the middle pass play.

This is where it's nice to have a TE, quick release pass play at the spot just vacated by the LB's.

I would have liked to see the motion pass play with Searcy vs. Tulane, I think that would have been effective.

I thought our defense played well and it didn't seem like a mismatch to me.

I don't really agree that we got our butts whipped in the trenches. We certainly didn't dominate either, but to say we got whipped in there, I believe is incorrect. In space is another story. They made the field look small. They shrunk it down and beat us to critical spots. A few well timed push offs (not blatant mind you , but border-line) created some space for them too.
Their receivers were well coached in getting separation. Excellent technique, something we never see from out guys. With a little more pressure on the quarterback, none of that would have come into play.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't really agree that we got our butts whipped in the trenches. We certainly didn't dominate either, but to say we got whipped in there, I believe is incorrect. In space is another story. They made the field look small. They shrunk it down and beat us to critical spots. A few well timed push offs (not blatant mind you , but border-line) created some space for them too.
Kelly's post game quote:

Q. In terms of the battle of the interior linemen.
COACH KELLY: We won that. We won that. So we were able to get out backers over the top. We were able to do some things to string it out a little bit and buy some time to get through those A back blocks which are so crucial.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I can't emphasize enough how ready these guys were compared to most teams we go against. For example, when we would run counter option the "supposed" play side LBs and safeties would flow with the fake motion, but the "supposed" back side guy would fire to the "real playside" LOS immediately without hesitation as if he knew the counter was coming. I haven't really seen this yet. If you wonder why we didn't run a lot of counter, this is why.
Have not reviewed tape, so this is from memory, but it seemed like the counter worked when we used a variation of it. We ran it left and I think had an extra receiver on that side for blocking. We also flowed right with the A back stopping dead in his tracks and then running back to the left. The pitch, if I remember, came early and was in lieu of a hand off as in a more traditional counter. We had the numbers each time we ran this and got decent yards.

He didn't get going up field enough to force commits and he didn't dive forward for 2 yards when it was there, preferring to do the HS play where you run around and keep things alive hoping to break free. ND is a fast defense and they weren't going to be outflanked like that, but they could have been out executed if we played right.
Saw this early and often and it frustrated the heck out of me.

At BB Skov continues to play hard. He had some brain cramps at times too. I have to remind myself that he is a rookie here. When he ran on the wrong side of JT on that midline in the RZ I felt like throwing my fist through the wall.
Poor guy. He was the best player on the field for most of the day but because everybody else screwed up at one time or another (some times often) we needed him to be perfect. I still think we needed to run him more early in the game and just keep pounding. We still would have had several three and outs but his value is in loosening up the defense for later in the game. It felt like we were really not patient early in the game.

I am sure CPJ feels bad about this loss, maybe more than some other losses because we weren't really ready in a lot of ways, whether schematically or frame of mind. I could see we were tight when the game started. I could see we were a little confused.

I would be curious about why we came to the line and got under center with 8 seconds left on the play clock. I have heard several explanations for this including the fact that the refs did not take their hand off the ball for extended periods because they had to wait for the Notre Dame substitutions. Since we basically substitute every play the opposing team has to be given time to make their substitution. Was CPJ just out coached at this point? Anyway, what ever was going on I have never seen Tech so slow to get to the line, take so long on reads and be so indecisive looking. I would be curious if you picked up anything on the film review.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Was anyone else bothered by this?

In the post game press conference whenever JT was asked about why something did not work or they had trouble with something he responded the same way each time. "I don't know; I don't know what happened out there; I don't know what was going on."

That just raise all kinds of different questions for me none of which are good.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

In the post game press conference whenever JT was asked about why something did not work or they had trouble with something he responded the same way each time. "I don't know; I don't know what happened out there; I don't know what was going on."

I think he means he can't pinpoint what our issues were or who was missing blocks, etc., until watching the film. It would have been nice to hear him say ND was confusing him at the LOS if, in fact, they were. He should have been asked that.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
How do you know this?

We constantly seem to have our worst moments when he has a chip on his shoulder going in to the game. His feud with Beamer hasn't gone well, and last year he had a tiff with Cutcliffe because Cutcliffe was dismissive of the WR potential, and we saw how that went. This year there was apparently some issues with BVG, and we saw how that went.

Anyone with eyes can see, no special knowledge required. The fact that you even ask is akin to someone asking how people know Peyton Manning is a head case in New England. You don't exactly need a FOIA request to figure it out.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
JT was running for his life most of the game, it reminded me of Reggie Ball. That hasn't happened in a real long time. I doubt that happens when you physically match your opponent.

Either that or assignments aren't getting executed. If you watch longestdays film breakdown, you can see that the OL was definitely not physically outmatched. We got quite a bit of movement up front.

Note that assignments not being executed correctly ultimately falls on the coach. The kids need to be prepped properly both for scheme and effort.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
I think he means he can't pinpoint what our issues were or who was missing blocks, etc., until watching the film. It would have been nice to hear him say ND was confusing him at the LOS if, in fact, they were. He should have been asked that.

Well... Most likely it means he's a kid who's mentally and physically exhausted, and isn't super talkative to begin with. Give him a break, guys. It's not like he said, "It's just a game, dawg..."

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We constantly seem to have our worst moments when he has a chip on his shoulder going in to the game. His feud with Beamer hasn't gone well, and last year he had a tiff with Cutcliffe because Cutcliffe was dismissive of the WR potential, and we saw how that went. This year there was apparently some issues with BVG, and we saw how that went.

Anyone with eyes can see, no special knowledge required. The fact that you even ask is akin to someone asking how people know Peyton Manning is a head case in New England. You don't exactly need a FOIA request to figure it out.
Gee you seem touchy. I was just asking because you acted like you had inside information. Since you don't I'll just forget about it.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

Well, I am not that bothered by it honestly. JT is trusting his team to make the blocks (as he should) and when he knows he makes the first read correctly, but then there are 3 defenders at the edge, I can see why he was confused.

Keep in mind competitors hate to lose, and this interview was after a tough loss probably followed by a team butt chewing by CPJ. I would be more worried if he was giddy.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck

Here I am again. One of several blind mice who actually thought Paul has done well against Cutcliffe as the issue with him began long before last season. As for my good friend Payton, he says it may just have something to do with the Jimmy and Joes.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Gee you seem touchy. I was just asking because you acted like you had inside information. Since you don't I'll just forget about it.

Hard to tell intonations on a message board. My apologies. Maybe I'm off base, but we do seem to get randomly shellacked once a year, and it does seem to happen in games with some sort of CPJ vs. some detractor angle. Just take it for what it's worth. My theory isn't ironclad, as most theories of the human psyche are not; it's clear that he sometimes does avenge himself with great effect. It's just that we seem boom or bust when it's personal.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, and I'd rather have that to be honest than the bland coach.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Hard to tell intonations on a message board. My apologies. Maybe I'm off base, but we do seem to get randomly shellacked once a year, and it does seem to happen in games with some sort of CPJ vs. some detractor angle. Just take it for what it's worth. My theory isn't ironclad, as most theories of the human psyche are not; it's clear that he sometimes does avenge himself with great effect. It's just that we seem boom or bust when it's personal.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, and I'd rather have that to be honest than the bland coach.

I don't think there is anything to that. We have laid an egg plenty of times when there was no axe to grind. This game Saturday felt a lot like BYU to me for instance.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think there is anything to that. We have laid an egg plenty of times when there was no axe to grind. This game Saturday felt a lot like BYU to me for instance.

Also, don't forget that ND had this game circled all year. They hired a freakin coach just to figure out how to beat us. They recruited a walk-on just to simulate our offense. I don't think it was passion and intensity on our side that made the difference.