Film Study Film Study - Offense vs ND

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Watching the Falcons today, and seeing them be able to put together a semblance of a running game (as opposed to last year) and at least set up 3rd and 5s instead of 3rd and 12s, it made Ryan and the WRs look like studs again. When you can do those simple things like get 3 on 1st down, 3 on 2nd, everything seems to click. Yesterday, we couldn't do that. And once that was clear, there goes all our mastermind adjustments and timely big play calls. I don't think CPJ called the best game ever, but he couldn't have anyway. Our offense is better than what we showed yesterday. Or at least the potential to be better is there. Gonna take a lot of work from WRs and ABs, though.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Darn it. I responded to your question but I am editing myself again. I am just not comfortable with what I have to say.

Ha. That's ok I wasn't actually expecting a response. Just piqued my curiosity that you felt you had to take it down.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Boomer, I share your observations about the WRs. In fact, I felt the same way last year with only one exception. Seemingly disinterested and all that word implies. What irks me the most is the appearance of zero help when the qb is in trouble. IMO, that should be instinctual.

As to the backside on the counter (actual playside), and many other plays, it looked as if they knew the play call. They blew plays up so often that I convinced myself they found a "tell" that they exploited? Interested in your thoughts about that.
Thanks for your analysis.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer, I share your observations about the WRs. In fact, I felt the same way last year with only one exception. Seemingly disinterested and all that word implies. What irks me the most is the appearance of zero help when the qb is in trouble. IMO, that should be instinctual.

As to the backside on the counter (actual playside), and many other plays, it looked as if they knew the play call. They blew plays up so often that I convinced myself they found a "tell" that they exploited? Interested in your thoughts about that.
Thanks for your analysis.
As far as the counters go, I think they repped the back side that way during practice. Middle and play side defenders go with motion. Back side defenders crash the LOS in case of counter. I could be wrong.

WR play needs work. You are right.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Other than maybe Summers....I never saw a WR come back to help JT when plays broke down. I haven't had chance to watch film yet tho

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
OL - couldn't block the second level. It wasn't quite the same level as Iowa or LSU like some have said, but it was reminiscent of 2013 and we had a lot of the same problems that led to Lee losing confidence as the season went on. That being said I doubt that'll be an issue in most games this year, so I don't expect anything like a repeat of 2013.

Thomas and ABs didn't play well. I'm not really worried about either, as both should get better, although I'm disappointed that Thomas didn't play better on a national stage.

WRs- I can't even really blame them at this point. Our passing game has been treated as the red headed step child of our offense since the get go, so it's little wonder when the WRs look disinterested.

Bback - Nothing really new to add. Johnson is making the same mistake as early in the year last year. Actually, he's making a worse one but it's effectively the same one.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
OL - couldn't block the second level. It wasn't quite the same level as Iowa or LSU like some have said, but it was reminiscent of 2013 and we had a lot of the same problems that led to Lee losing confidence as the season went on. That being said I doubt that'll be an issue in most games this year, so I don't expect anything like a repeat of 2013.

Thomas and ABs didn't play well. I'm not really worried about either, as both should get better, although I'm disappointed that Thomas didn't play better on a national stage.

WRs- I can't even really blame them at this point. Our passing game has been treated as the red headed step child of our offense since the get go, so it's little wonder when the WRs look disinterested.

Bback - Nothing really new to add. Johnson is making the same mistake as early in the year last year. Actually, he's making a worse one but it's effectively the same one.

Regarding WRs - sure the passing takes a backstage in our offense. But we have put plenty of WRs in the league. So that can't be an excuse. You just gotta work.

GTMD

Georgia Tech Fan
Boomer thanks as always. Awesome analysis.
My big question is that do you think our performance is a correctable thing due to scheme or
1) are our players not at the talent level we need in some positions
2) is this someone who has finally "figured out " how to stop cpj (I know I know, it hasn't been stopped for years and every loss like this drives us crazy but just an honest question )
3) is it just a problem when we play elite defenses? How did we do so well against FSU UGA and miss state last year but lay an egg with ND? We're they THAT much more talented than those teams?

Your answer will help me have more hope for the season or sink me into further depression ;)

Go Jackets

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
@Boomergump Any idea why we kept going to the trips formation? Spread them out?
I had this question, too. Further, it seemed like we ran to the side where there wasn't an A-back, which seemed odd.

I also looked back - perhaps trying to make myself feel better, perhaps trying to understand what happened - but the similarities between this game and last year's Duke game are striking. I remember the 3rd and 25 conversion for a score for Duke last year and the 3rd and 20 score for Notre Dame this year, the inability to finish drives, and just the general malaise of the team. Hopefully the offense rebounds with the ferociousness that it did last year and the defense continues its obvious improvement.

CPJ said after alcorn and tulne that we weren't very good apparently he knew. This should serve as a wakeup call to the entire team. Good write up boomer spot on. Following the jackets for many years now one thing I am certain of they will not quit and are destined to put in the work to get better.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer thanks as always. Awesome analysis.
My big question is that do you think our performance is a correctable thing due to scheme or
1) are our players not at the talent level we need in some positions
2) is this someone who has finally "figured out " how to stop cpj (I know I know, it hasn't been stopped for years and every loss like this drives us crazy but just an honest question )
3) is it just a problem when we play elite defenses? How did we do so well against FSU UGA and miss state last year but lay an egg with ND? We're they THAT much more talented than those teams?

Your answer will help me have more hope for the season or sink me into further depression ;)

Go Jackets
I think we have plenty of talent to win big games. I think we are good enough to beat ND. We just weren't on the day that it mattered. They had a very good scheme cooked up for us on defense. I respect what they did a lot, however, we played poorly. Sometimes there will be games that are just a comedy of errors. Saturday was for us. I think we got surprised a little by their tactics. That doesn't happen often as we usually see the same one or two types of strategies. This will be good film for others to emulate, however, it will be tough to implement what they did in one week AND the element of surprise is gone now. We will learn and make adjustments.

Some of what they did was just pure speed. I'm not sure there would be any more than 2 or 3 teams in the country with that much speed on defense across the board. I can't impress that point enough. They might be as good as they played Saturday and headed to the CFB playoff. However, we are certainly not that bad.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just re-watched in slow motion...

• Not as bad as it seemed during the game
  • We did not do well when running to a side that did not have a AB in the "normal" spot
  • We moved the ball at times
  • The "Skov" mistake series did not end because of Skov
  • The rocket toss was money... need to figure out why (could be different/prevent defense at end of game)
  • The B-Back was open for passes/screens (miss the fake rocket toss/bback pass) (could have been prevent defense at the end)
  • No "back side" pass... look one way pass back the other

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't understand this. How did CPJ get worked up about BVG? When asked about earlier in the week, he downplayed it.

I just think we got beat by a team that outplayed us.

He downplayed the Cutcliffe thing too, but you know he still wanted to beat him bad. It's just an observation.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Boomer, you are the only reason I am able to come back after losses as quickly as I do.

Agreed; the rational assessments provided by @Boomergump (and others here on gtswarm) makes it a lot easier to look at a loss like this and not freak out or anything. It was an emotionally rough train ride back from South bend to Chicago, not made any better and the lack of any decent cell reception in the boonies of north-western Indiana. Being able to come here and get some level-headed insight about the game, prior to actually being able to watch the replay at home, headed off any potential grumpitude I might have had on the flight home. (Well, there was the Delta flight attendant who just had to bring up the fact that uGA had a 'big' win yesterday, as a way to 'lighten' the boarding Tech fans' spirits...:mad::mad::mad:)

Being able to come here and read the various perspectives, mostly well-reasoned despite not always being harmonious, is one of the reasons that I find gtswarm to be such a great virtual hang-out.

I also find that going to Coach's radio show on Mondays to be a big pick-me-up after a loss. I'm not sure why being there in person makes an differenece over just listening to it on the radio—maybe its a mix of the camaraderie of the regulars at the show who are not deterred by loss, along with being able to personally read Coach's demeanor during the beaks as well as during the show itself...