Film Study - Offense vs NCST

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
Vic Beasley, IMO, is the best DLinemen, and maybe the best athlete we have seen or will play against all year long. We'll have our hands full with him.

I agree Vic is a beast, but the best thing about this offense without Vad at qb is we can play the whole game without blocking him. Our biggest challenge will be blocking everyone else, who are all good and very athletic. It will be a challenge. The D will need another good game if we want to win.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I could go on and on, but the truth of what happened is very simple. We killed them up front. End of story. The rest is just details. We got to play a lot of kids. That is great. We got some guys a little rest. That too is great. I just hope our heads didn't swell after this one.

No thanks for the detail-less report. :LOL:

I only caught bits and pieces of the game, but what I caught was pretty unbelievable. It was almost like watching us against Syracuse last year (can you imagine what would've happened if JT had played that whole game?) in terms of output. What's up, Dave Huxtable?

I think it was in KC Jones' autobiography that I read this, but he was saying how he assigned one of his assistants (who ended up being some famous coach) to scout an opponent. When the assistant came back he handed Jones a single piece of paper with no plays diagrammed or scouting report. It merely read, "This is a horsecrap team. If you can't beat them you shouldn't be coaching." It's kind of sad for NCSU, but Boomer's report is pretty spot on: "We blew 'em off the ball. Oh, and they're pretty bad."

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Coming into the season we had 2/3 new starters at C-QB-BB. Usually that means we will struggle on offense some.

However Burden has way exceeded expectations. And then JT has distributed and taken care of the ball very well while also making plays when we need them.

Throw in some good receivers, better tackle play, and a very successful AB by committie effort and there you go.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
First, thanks Boomer.

Second, I agree only if you base that observation on the Wake game. I've seen the Clemson DL create a lot of havoc in other games; even FSU. Their DL is ranked 4th in the country for a good reason - this was before the Wake game and the stats may be updated when you check for games as of 11/8 for the Wake game that Clemson didn't play hard for at all ...... http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadl

But UVa DL was ranked 9th, so we will see! And NC State 69th!
Nuke, I wouldn't use their game with FSU as a yardstick unless we want to sit JT and abandon our running game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nuke, I wouldn't use their game with FSU as a yardstick unless we want to sit JT and abandon our running game.

LOL, I guess we'll see this weekend. I think the game is a toss-up the more I look at Football Outsiders data for O and D and ST. It'll come down to turnovers and 3 and outs probably.

Back to the O study, what is the best way to neutralize Beasley? I kind of like the idea of having the play flow go to his side and run a counter. That way he has to come back through trash to make a play down field. I know we can option him, but I'd have Beasley take a free hit on JT every time Beasley is optioned.

Or maybe some quick jump passes off the option to an AB?

I'd guess we'll start off with a WR pass like NCState to loosen them up and let Smelter or Waller try and get a big play on a one on one stiff arm.

slugboy

Staff member
LOL, I guess we'll see this weekend. I think the game is a toss-up the more I look at Football Outsiders data for O and D and ST. It'll come down to turnovers and 3 and outs probably.

Back to the O study, what is the best way to neutralize Beasley? I kind of like the idea of having the play flow go to his side and run a counter. That way he has to come back through trash to make a play down field. I know we can option him, but I'd have Beasley take a free hit on JT every time Beasley is optioned.

Or maybe some quick jump passes off the option to an AB?

I'd guess we'll start off with a WR pass like NCState to loosen them up and let Smelter or Waller try and get a big play on a one on one stiff arm.
Counter always seems like a slow play to me, unless they're practically running themselves out of the play already (like NCST). It seemed like we didn't do well using counters against Miami, but my memory may be off.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Forget that stuff. Just do what it takes to win. If we can win without throwing the ball, why do it?
Exactly. Incompletions hurt you in two ways, 1) they put you off schedule, and 2) they stop the clock. The clock stopping is also a negative of JT running out of bounds when avoiding hits at the end of runs, but I'd still have him do it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I hope people realize that our offense has been a work in progress all season. The same people that are praising the dominant OL now, were critcizing them early in the year when they couldn't get their heads out of their arses. Our two losses came when we were still "finding" ourselves. If we played both of those teams right now, I'd bet it'd be a bit different.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
The next two games are revenge games. I'm not worried about them getting a big head. I'm worried about personal fouls because we are so pissed and filled with hate for Clem and the dwags. We'll execute these next two game, period
I'm worried about the personal fouls against our guys that don't get called and result in injuries. Duke and uGA are very dirty programs in my mind.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Beasley has great speed which is disruptive but CPJ has plenty of film to watch on him and we will be ready. Should we have a solid offensive day against them, I hope the critics will give appropriate credit. Guess I hope for too much.

Animal02

Banned
Exactly. Incompletions hurt you in two ways, 1) they put you off schedule, and 2) they stop the clock. The clock stopping is also a negative of JT running out of bounds when avoiding hits at the end of runs, but I'd still have him do it.

Except for the last 2 minutes.....the clock starts again when the ref sets the ball ready to play....so it on;y stops it for a few seconds. (A rule I hate BTW......I do not think the rules of the game should change based on how much time is on the clock)

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Beasley is nastiest in obvious passing situations. FSU had a lot of those when they played Clemson and it didn't go well for McGuire.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
The thing that concerns me about Beasley is that he might be fast enough to disrupt the mesh on plays run at him. He may also be able to make some tackles behind the LOS on plays going away from him. I know a WR reverse is a play designed to counter defensive players losing backside contain, but that play always seems to have trouble developing. It's worked a few times in the past, but it's also had a few bad moments too.