Film Study - Offense vs Miami

new jacket404

Georgia Tech Fan
Wow....so many things wrong here. Competition is not about "sharing" It is about putting your best out there to compete. A starter is a starter because they are the best. If you are not the best, you ride the pine. If you want to play.....you put forth the effort to be the best. As for keeping the line fresh.....at least from an offensive viewpoint, playing the line is the least strenuous of any position on the field. If an OL in not capable of playing all 60 minutes......he should not be out there. Hell, most of the time in H.S. (since we platooned....I was first string center, third string DT) I was just getting warmed up late in the third quarter, I would have been damn pissed if the coach insisted on me sharing time with someone else just to "be fair" Sharing time is for "mop up" when the game is no longer on the line. When it is on the line......the best player at any position should be in the game.
O no the better player now that remains to b seen .the day fair aint right,the sun might as well not rise.the boys body type dont even fit into gt's type of play so its some type of different game plan. Brewing here. Be real no one player plays all 60 min

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem is when I watch, I look at it through a HS lens, we cant cut LB's or out of the box so I am not sure when its coached or a misstep. I will say that Shamire and Shaq are very similar size, strength and push, which makes them formidable in one on one blocking. Now, I think Trey brings the ability to pull and get into space. Also, he can provide some push when needed. There is no argument ( I think,) that it would have been difficult for Shamire to handle both 2nd half drives, but that will change, and as it does, the ability to have Trey in, pulling in space running, then pound with Shamire, then Trey back in to pull is a great thing. And the two of them next year should be great.
I don't mind a belief that one guy maybe inherently better than another, it just bugs me when under the guise of 'impartial comments' one player is called out, then later when he's doing it it is ignored. This isn't ESPN, the agenda is to discuss what actually happened not push a message.
Heck, I thought Trey should be starting since his 1st Spring scrimmage when he took 102 snaps in a row (both teams) because guys were 'hurt'. I bit my tounge then and I still bite it,

Forgive me for being honest. But in my eyes, the only person who is not impartial here is you. The mods will probably delete this and that's ok. Just wanted to put that out there

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Forgive me for being honest. But in my eyes, the only person who is not impartial here is you. The mods will probably delete this and that's ok. Just wanted to put that out there
You missed his first post about being an "interested spectator" I think? That is as having an interest in a specific player as his name indicates.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Not talking about importance of position. Just talking about physical (and mental) exertion. On the offensive side you have WR's and RB 's that are constantly sprinting. On the defensive side, every player on every play is on the attack throughout the play. The OL on the other hand, is out of the play often after their initial assignments (they are not really going to chase a receiver down the field on a long pass play etc.) Even from a mental viewpoint.....the OL has their base assignments, can usually sense what is coming, knows the snap count, etc.

this is so wrong, i'm not sure where to begin...

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I agree, the OL hustles more in Tech's offense than pretty much any other.....but I would still say the OL does the least physical and mental exertion. The RB and the WR get a really work out....and it was obvious on Saturday that by the end of the game, the UM D was dragging more than our Oline. I would rather play 40 minutes of OL than anything on the D.
I wasnt aware that we were comparing O to D. I must have missed something somewhere. I thought we were talking Oline and WRs. Some... not all... take plays off when the ball is ran to the other side of.the field. Thats just what I see a ton in the NFL atleast.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
This board puts me in a very difficult dilemma. I enjoy the posts and find the comments insightful, even when negative about certain players. The problem I have is that since it is clear I have a vested interest in certain players I can't really point out items that are overlooked that don't fit the narrative. OL miss blocks, OL make blocks, Some are faster, can pull and get outside, others strengths may be interior with driving and pushing. Shamire is a good player with a huge upside and a bright future, Trey is a good player with a huge upside and a bright future. They both have strengths and weaknesses in their game. I made a decision long ago that I was not going to question the decisions made by Johnson or Sewak as far as starting or playing time. I dont watch practice, and dont watch film, (and no the ESPN replay is not watching film) so I am not qualified to say who should start, or who shouldn't. I don't know if a player had a bad game until he tells me what he graded out at, and we don't discuss that very often, no point to, I taught him long ago to give 97.5% which he does. When you do that you get what you get. I will say this about Sat night, Laskey got a lot of hard yards, and all the OL who played contributed to them. I have watched the first series I noticed some things that seem to dispute what is asserted here, and some things that might support it, but who am I to say good or bad OL play. I will say this, when I asked what was going to happen I was told...

" I don't know, I played as hard as I could...if changes need to be made to help us keep winning then I will gladly be part of those changes...I just want to win."
It is ok to have a vested interest in certain players. In fact, I would be more disturbed if you didn't care how your players did after leaving your tutelage.

Welcome to the community, Coach. We value your insight and encourage you to return.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
It is ok to have a vested interest in certain players. In fact, I would be more disturbed if you didn't care how your players did after leaving your tutelage.

Welcome to the community, Coach. We value your insight and encourage you to return.
Indeed, his vested interest gives us fans actually more access to what is involved in what these players we root for go through as well as is helps inform our opinions about how a player performed in the game.

For my part knowing that Braun played 102 straight snaps (whether in a scrimmage or not) tells me all I need to know about him as a player I am happy to have on the team and root for as a Jacket. If he has a poor performance on a play, series, or even a whole game he can be critiqued for it. No problem with criticism either. I just expect that we do it respectfully and with as much of a whole picture as we can manage into what our players are going through and the effort it takes to be a student-athlete at Tech.

By the way, I think Boomer didn't cross any line into disrespect and neither did I think Coach Braun felt he did or got overly defensive for his part.

Keep up the good commentary and discussion!

prifle2

Jolly Good Fellow
i think right now more than anything Devine is being brought along at his pace with the ultimate goal in mind for him to step in and replace Shaq after this year. Braun and Devine will probably be the starters with Gary Brown being the next road grading guard in training.. either way the staff is going to have a heck of a line in place when we face TN in the 2017 kickoff game.. Too bad JT won't be there taking snaps...

This was not nearly as interesting to watch as the VT game. UM played pretty vanilla in terms of alignment and only really tried a couple of tactics to mix things up. I saw a couple different charges by LBs to take the dive and I saw a couple attempts to blitz the A gap. However, they pretty much decided to have the unblocked DE play neutral and have Perryman stone the dive. They stayed with 4 up front and an umbrella of 3 LBs with Perryman playing deeper than the others in the middle. Although that makes it harder to get a hat on him, he doesn't have the speed of his predecessor to make up the ground.

It seemed the vast majority of reads were gives as far as the dive - keep was concerned. If the ball was pulled out of the BBs belly, UM made sure to contain JT and ensure that the ball would get pitched. They were gonna make sure #5 didn't beat them. I think you have to give JT a lot of credit. He just went about his business and never showed a bit of body language that he was getting frustrated by that. I love the look in that kids eyes when he plays. He is right at home playing QB on the big stage and he is totally unselfish. I think he had a really good day in terms of option reads and we ran a lot of options. I think there may have been a total of 3 or 4 plays where I wish he would have pulled a give or made a pitch, but other than that he was spot on. In fact, he handled a couple A gap blitzes flawlessly with pull-pitches all in one motion, no hesitation at all. The kid is finding his groove as an option QB. Let's just enjoy it while it lasts.

Miami has athletes and they are hard to block in space. Obviously Golden felt they could play vanilla and use their team speed to chase plays well enough to stop us, and he was right for the most part. They gave up no huge plays. The only problem was, we didn't cooperate by giving them any unforced errors like TOs, or negative plays. This was a well managed game on both sides of the ball IMHO (Them on D and US on O). They paid for their scheme in the way of gobs and gobs of third down conversions. We just executed. Nothing fancy, just making reads and protecting the football.

We blocked OK on the interior. Mason is always good and he was again. I think Braun had a tough time with his guy. He just couldn't get much movement out of him head up and he had a hard time cutting him on the backside of plays. His guy was forever making tackles from the back side of the dive. They knew just where to line that guy up in what I think is called a 2 TECH, where it is difficult to get the right angle for the backside OG when Burden is heading to the second level. Devine got one series each half in place of Braun which doesn't sound like much, but it represented about 30% of the snaps. The same guy Braun couldn't budge, he would push out of plays. In fact, he manhandled him. As far as I am concerned, I think Shamire is showing he is ready to play more and take time away from Braun. Shamire failed to cut once or twice on the back side too (not quick enough or low enough) and he had trouble pulling into space, but he is a force when the play comes to his side and he really protects the passer well. He made some rather ferocious blocks at times. There was one memorable play where he slammed a guy down and I wasn't sure he would get up. He will be good. For those of you wondering if we swung and missed on Devine, forget about it. If I am not mistaken we went the distance both times Shamire was out there. Burden had some good moments and others where Perryman made him look silly. Griffin was pretty good at times. I have to give Chamberlain some props. He probably played his best game I have ever seen him play before he got his leg rolled. He made some really good blocks with some authority. Everybody did a pretty good job in pass pro for the most part.

Perkins played his best game at AB. He ran well with the ball, but he blocked extremely well too. Only one missed block that I saw and he had a lot of opportunities. The rest of the ABs were a mixed bag blocking, but those UM defenders were pretty darned nimble too. It wasn't an easy assignment. I was happy to see the entire crew getting into the action and making plays. Zenon with the TD run and 3rd and 15 conversion, Bostic with a long run and a TD, Hill with the TD, Andrews with a good run.

The WRs did a good job blocking on the edge for the most part. Waller played physical and got a lot of backwards movement out of his guy. I thought the holding call on him was pretty cheap. Smelter always blocks well. Summers made the only glaring blocking errors that I saw at that position.

Laskey ran hard and he made some tough extra yards even if he never broke out of there. He protected the football well, and believe me, there were many opportunities where he could have given it up on the strip. They were ripping at him all game. He got knocked around A LOT even without the ball. We are talking about Perryman here, not some chump. I hope ZL takes an ice bath today, he got pounded. I thought he took a couple plays off blocking, but that is my only complaint.

I think CPJ made the correct tactical decision in forgoing the forward pass, even though there were some plays to be hit off play action. They were flowing pretty hard towards motion with their safeties and could have been exposed. However, I am not sure what a couple of longish plays would have netted us besides putting the ball back in their hands 1 or 2 more times for the game. They had to wait excruciatingly long periods of time between possessions as it was and it crushed whatever MOJO they had on offense. As long as we were finishing the drives, what was the hurry? When you look at the scoreboard 17 points seems incredibly low considering how easily they moved the sticks. It looked like Canadian Football out there at times when they had the ball. Well, the defensive study is for another day.
third and 3; third and 3; third and 3--Huard.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Should I stop posting drive series videos because with that slow motion you can see all the good and not so good. I love our players, all of them. I love them because they are the team I love. I review the film because I love the details, not to point and shake a finger.

If I wanted to just root for only the very best of the best, then I would watch pro ball and switch each week to the team that is doing the best. No, GT is my favorite team when down and when up. This is the team I root for and these are the players I want to see win.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Should I stop posting drive series videos because with that slow motion you can see all the good and not so good. I love our players, all of them. I love them because they are the team I love. I review the film because I love the details, not to point and shake a finger.

If I wanted to just root for only the very best of the best, then I would watch pro ball and switch each week to the team that is doing the best. No, GT is my favorite team when down and when up. This is the team I root for and these are the players I want to see win.
I like the slow mo vids. I have a hard time seeing the blocks when I watch live.

Goldisbest

Georgia Tech Fan

No, keep posting them.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
I vote don't stop. When you point out the not so good, you are showing the potential we have explaining why a play went for short yards, etc. I don't believe you are doing so in an attacking manner, i.e. that left whatchamaposition is a POS and should never play another down.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Longestday, you have good instincts and show prudence so just continue on as you have been doing and you will be fine.

I actually think one thing you do which is very tactful is that you generally just note that the position didn't quite make a block, like "the left tackle missed" rather than giving the player's name which I am sure you know (and we could all just check the number against the roster).

I think reasonable people recognize that missing on any one block can happen for a variety of reasons anyway. The fact that you have pointed out the strategy on the defense's part like on depth of middle linebacker also makes the complex nature of assigning criticism from a fan's perspective clear. For example: "Did the center not get to Perryman on this particular play because he is not talented enough in general?"; or because "Perryman is so good that it is a bad matchup?; or because "on that play Perryman moved a step closer so could get past the center faster"; or "Perryman anticipated the direction of the play faster that time?"; or "maybe the center was slower off the ball this time?" Etc., etc.

Such attempts at specific critical evaluations could go on and on since we don't have the context as fully as the coaches and player involved do when they do their own "grading out" film review. The bottom line is that positive praise is really easy for us fans because we can see that a play or block worked. Actually explaining why it worked we can guess at and such speculation harms no one. But accurate criticism is always much more difficult for the fan beyond saying "well the tackle wasn't able to complete the block effectively here" or "right guard struggled against so-and-so on the opponent's team." Trying to speculate on exact causes of said failures is the dangerous territory to tread on.

So you take an admirably tactful and more neutral road that benefits everyone here and avoids sideshows about either not being "honest about our players mistakes" or "being too personally critical of them."

Keep on ramblin' on and together we swarm right? :)

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Let me throw my .02 in here as well. Having raised an OL I fully understand what Coach Braun goes through. Him also being a coach sees things a bit differently than the average fan. I think Longest does a great job with the videos and I can't think of any reason for him to stop. I've sat at games and listened to fans and parents say a lot of things about my youngin and it's hard to sit there at times and not say anything. Unless you have a true grasp of the offense, the line calls and the adjustments being made by the D it hard for someone to truly critique the play of on individual. We as fans are all in this together supporting the TEAM we love so just be a bit mindful of the facts that the players are also someone youngin :D

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I disagree with this. I think @Coachbraun72 makes a very compelling point about the partiality of selective viewing or confirmation bias.
Some people are predisposed to think of Shamire as better because he had a 4* rating for a while and Trey did not. So, when he has a bad play, it was a bad play. When Trey has a bad play, it becomes, "see, he can't play." I think we saw it a lot with Tevin and Vad.

Both these guys have talent and will continue to contribute to our team. The coaches will decide who to play, and I know that I don't know enough to think that any second guess I have is gospel truth.

After typing a longer post, I see that @OldJacketFan has said much the same thing better.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The coaches will play the right person and at the same time honor effort and practice for the team. I agree people are predisposed given Tevin and Vad fan posting experience. If you look through the whole film, you will see no one on the team is perfect and we have players that water Grant Field with their blood and sweat.

If one player is dominating, he will play period.