Film Study - Offense vs Miami

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Indeed, his vested interest gives us fans actually more access to what is involved in what these players we root for go through as well as is helps inform our opinions about how a player performed in the game.

For my part knowing that Braun played 102 straight snaps (whether in a scrimmage or not) tells me all I need to know about him as a player I am happy to have on the team and root for as a Jacket. If he has a poor performance on a play, series, or even a whole game he can be critiqued for it. No problem with criticism either. I just expect that we do it respectfully and with as much of a whole picture as we can manage into what our players are going through and the effort it takes to be a student-athlete at Tech.

By the way, I think Boomer didn't cross any line into disrespect and neither did I think Coach Braun felt he did or got overly defensive for his part.

Keep up the good commentary and discussion!
Thanks for this and thanks to coach Braun. I hope I didn't cross any line. I am just here to share what I see. I make no claim to be an expert. Baseball is the only sport I know at its deepest levels. I am a huuuuge football fan, love to learn, and I love our kids. I actually met TB at fan day and talked to him a little. I was extremely impressed with him, as I am with so many of our players. Over time, the comments I make from DVR recordings (NOT TRUE FILM as coach Braun points out) will either be respected, or taken with a grain of salt, depending on the reader and his or her interpretation of my track record. Bottom line: I just want to share. By all means, when any reader disagrees, I encourage them to express it fully with and challenge my observations with as many specifics as possible. My assumption is that we are all here because we love the sport and we like to analyze. I hope no disrespect is EVER taken from my actions.

If any of you guys had ever seen some of the ridiculous crap I did on the playing field at TECH when I was here, you would laugh at me, if you didn't try to kill me first. If anybody understands what it is like to have a tough game on the flats, it is me. As athletes, we must endure the scrutiny of those who watch. It is part of the game. I had good games too, along the way, just as all of our FB players have done and will continue to do.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for this and thanks to coach Braun. I hope I didn't cross any line. I am just here to share what I see. I make no claim to be an expert. Baseball is the only sport I know at its deepest levels. I am a huuuuge football fan, love to learn, and I love our kids. I actually met TB at fan day and talked to him a little. I was extremely impressed with him, as I am with so many of our players. Over time, the comments I make from DVR recordings (NOT TRUE FILM as coach Braun points out) will either be respected, or taken with a grain of salt, depending on the reader and his or her interpretation of my track record. Bottom line: I just want to share. By all means, when any reader disagrees, I encourage them to express it fully with and challenge my observations with as many specifics as possible. My assumption is that we are all here because we love the sport and we like to analyze. I hope no disrespect is EVER taken from my actions.

If any of you guys had ever seen some of the ridiculous crap I did on the playing field at TECH when I was here, you would laugh at me, if you didn't try to kill me first. If anybody understands what it is like to have a tough game on the flats, it is me. As athletes, we must endure the scrutiny of those who watch. It is part of the game. I had good games too, along the way, just as all of our FB players have done and will continue to do.

Boomer what sport and years?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Perryman's problem is getting there. If he can get there, he is going to bring you down with authority. I would say, no kidding, he is the best tackler I have seen in a decade of ACC football. There are some LBs out there who can run better than him though. I thought #36 for VT had more impact on the game sideline to sideline, but Perryman wins the YAC battle hands down.

Also, I did talk about Chamberlain. IMHO he played the best game I have ever seen him play. He got beat a couple times, once in Pass pro, that led to nothing so it didn't hurt, and once in the run game that I saw, but he made a lot of effective blocks during the game too. He had more positive impact than usual.
Perryman looked like he was playing deeper than usual. Maybe to give him a better look? It looked like it slowed him down.

Coachbraun72

Georgia Tech Fan
I for one love the drive videos. Please don't stop. I am going to watch, and you make it way easier to do so. The difficulty I had is how to respond, to counter the negative views of one of the 4 most important people in my life. Your video makes it easier. For example, I will readily admit the LG misses scoops, if I can then point out his excellent pulls, to which you will counter he doesn't hit anyone, and I will point out the touchdown. And then you will talk about pass blocking, and I'll hit you with a chair. None of this would be possible with out the slow mo replay, keep it up, please.
(just kidding about the chair)

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I for one love the drive videos. Please don't stop. I am going to watch, and you make it way easier to do so. The difficulty I had is how to respond, to counter the negative views of one of the 4 most important people in my life. Your video makes it easier. For example, I will readily admit the LG misses scoops, if I can then point out his excellent pulls, to which you will counter he doesn't hit anyone, and I will point out the touchdown. And then you will talk about pass blocking, and I'll hit you with a chair. None of this would be possible with out the slow mo replay, keep it up, please.

Coach I was sitting here laughing at this post. He's a good one and I enjoy watching the technical aspects of his play!

sweeper

Georgia Tech Fan
Think of how far we have come in a matter of a couple of yrs. Until very recently we always seemed to be cobbling together an o-line to field because of injuries. If one guy went out, we held our breath until that guy got back in the game. For the first time in probably 3 yrs I actually have confidence in the o-line "unit," and that includes the back-ups playing their correct positions and playing them well.

To be perfectly honest, I'm fired up as hell that we can argue about who is better, A or B, where in the past we asked "who comes in if A goes down."

To me, depth has always been the biggest difference maker when comparing GT to the so called big boy programs

Animal02

Banned
Think of how far we have come in a matter of a couple of yrs. Until very recently we always seemed to be cobbling together an o-line to field because of injuries. If one guy went out, we held our breath until that guy got back in the game. For the first time in probably 3 yrs I actually have confidence in the o-line "unit," and that includes the back-ups playing their correct positions and playing them well.

To be perfectly honest, I'm fired up as hell that we can argue about who is better, A or B, where in the past we asked "who comes in if A goes down."

To me, depth has always been the biggest difference maker when comparing GT to the so called big boy programs

Not only that...we have a QB that has the skills and knowledge to run the offense.....and a backup QB that has stepped in seamlessly.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Oldgoldandwhite Perryman was frozen in place and took to long to read the play. FSU, Clemson, and VT had no problems from that depth. 7 yards is perfect as 5 yards results in the center blocking you and limits you outside ability.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I for one like both Longestday's & Boomer's post and analysis. It helps me understand what's going on better.
Keep it up and please don't shy away from comments as long as they are not insulting or beating up a kid, I think it's fair to critique.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
I disagree with this. I think @Coachbraun72 makes a very compelling point about the partiality of selective viewing or confirmation bias.
Some people are predisposed to think of Shamire as better because he had a 4* rating for a while and Trey did not. So, when he has a bad play, it was a bad play. When Trey has a bad play, it becomes, "see, he can't play." I think we saw it a lot with Tevin and Vad.

Don't disagree. But remember, that confirmation bias cuts both ways. If one has a belief that people are more likely to be predisposed towards a certain player because of star rating, they are likely to take even a legitimate critique as being informed by that world view.

Both these guys have talent and will continue to contribute to our team. The coaches will decide who to play, and I know that I don't know enough to think that any second guess I have is gospel truth.

Again, I don't disagree. But a player's playing time is affected by a bunch of factors - conditioning, schematic knowledge etc. So playing time is not necessarily a metric with which you can project raw talent. I don't claim to be an expert at projecting talent. But I know that I don't want to disregard somebody's opinion as stemming from their belief in the star system unless they've given me reason to believe that's the case. In other words, innocent until proven guilty. And I definitely don't want to accuse anybody of bias without evidence.

Having said that, I appreciate every player who plays for GT. They sacrifice far more than I ever have.

LarryMunson

Jolly Good Fellow

FWIW, I've watched some of the standup comedy by Trey. Read some of his sci fi postings. He's extremely bright and we point to him as a role model for my boy.

Maybe he can take over the role of the GTGOONSquad twitter account from last year's graduated senior

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I honestly couldn't say who is the better player. I think both bring differing and valuable abilities. Shamire is favored by many fans simply because he's 2nd string and young. Fans too often want to anoint young 2nd teamers as the next great. Usually occurs at the QB spot tho.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Boomer,
Did you see on Laskey's big run of 20+ yds off LG that Summers didn't even TRY to block the CB that tackled him?he quit running. it was like he never expected ZL to get that deep .I was wondering why we are not getting longer runs,here may be a reason.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer,
Did you see on Laskey's big run of 20+ yds off LG that Summers didn't even TRY to block the CB that tackled him?he quit running. it was like he never expected ZL to get that deep .I was wondering why we are not getting longer runs,here may be a reason.
Did not see that. Thanks.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
Boomer,

I'm going to come to Summers' defense here and say that he did his responsibility just fine. As the play-side WR on this play his responsibility is to push stalk block the cornerback for the pitch. He did that reasonably well, the CB is basically just standing there !12 yards! away from the line of scrimmage. Summers has no idea what is going on behind him. The CB tracks inside and Summers keeps himself in position to block for the pitch. It says that right in the old playbooks: (Block for Pitch).